Which Of These 15mm Eyepieces Would You Buy?

refractordude

They'll provide the same magnification from your scope but the SWA will have the wider 70° AFOV followed by the EWA 68° and the GSO 66°.

I own Starguiders and Revelations. Agena and GSO not too dissimilar. 

As a freebee, probably the GSO if I was picking today, their all re-saleable if need be.

These would work reasonably well in a slow scope, but in faster scopes stars will start looking like seagulls in the outer part of the field of view. If you can handle the short eye relief, a 15mm Plossl will probably do better in faster scopes. If you cannot stand short eye relief due to glasses, the Vixen SLV is better (and a cracking EP) but a lot more expensive

Looking at the original post, it looks like a free gift, so SLV’s and Plossls are not part of the equation here, so you have to pick one of the three?

Thats how read the post, and yes there are ‘ better’ EP’s for faster scopes, but i don’t see any scope details, but a clue suggests maybe a refractor is in use?

None are going to be that great at the edge, but I would lean toward the Agena SWA because it's a 5/4 design while the other two are 4/3 designs.  Hopefully that extra element yields a slightly better corrected field of view.

I think I have the GSO one - if so the one I have is 70° afov.  It was my fave ep out of an ill advised purchase of a case + plossl set + coloured filters.  The fov was a delight compared to the plossls in my manual 10" dob, and comfortable to use; barlowed well.

After a year or so I purchased a 13mm T6 Nagler.  Wow. M42 appeared green for 1st time ever in my first light, and has done every use since. 82° of sharp, lightweight heaven ;) 6 or 7x the price though, of course!

5 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Ive never heard of Agena, but know/used 32mm GSO. The GSO is the one id go for. 

Agena Astro (The Equinox sponsor) is one of the major Astronomy retailers in the US.  The others being Astronomics (CN sponsor), Oceanside Photo & Telescope (OPT), Orion Telescopes & Binoculars, Anacortes Telescope & Wild Bird (Astromart sponsor), Woodland Hills Camera & Telescopes, High Point Scientific, Skies Unlimited, Optics Planet, Land Sea & Sky, B&H Photo, and Adorama.  I probably missed a few, but those are the main, nationwide ones I know of.  Many of them offer house branded optics like Agena does.

I'd have gone with the GSO. ;)

IMG_20170520_142841.jpg.54d1ef32e7f832b19aea1935b2537437.jpg

It's virtually a budget Panoptic. The SuperView series are quite popular and many report they perform well regardless of the telescope focal ratio. It was always assumed these EP's were Erfles. It appears that they are more original designs though. The 15mm lens group is a bit sui generis and looks not unlike a reversed Bertele to me. The 20mm seems very like a modified Konig. My 15mm fares well in scopes from f/5 to f/14.

Archived