SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AZ-EQ6 will not guide or calibrate in Y Axis

MeyGray3833

Hello.

I have an unusual problem with my AZ-EQ6.

I decided that I wanted to try pulse guiding rather than ST4, to get rid of a cable.

I use MaxIm for all my controls, capture, guiding, pointing etc. and I use the EQMod ASCOM scope driver.

My initial pulse guiding efforts worked ok, the mount would move and guide etc, no worries. I was not pleased with the pulse guiding results after some fluffing around so I moved back to ST4 and this seems to be where my issues started. 

Now, whether I choose ST4 or pulse guiding, my mount will no longer calibrate in the Y axis (Dec, I believe), or for that matter, guide. I have tried the move commands from inside MaxIm guide tab and X responds to a 10 pixel move but not Y.

I tested with both PHD 1 & 2 with the same results. 

If it were a hardware issue, as in the mount has a Dec problem, would I be able unable to operate the mount with the hand controller or on screen motion buttons, both of which slew the mount fine? I could understand if the guide port were malfunctioning that ST4 would possibly have an issue but not when the mount slews as directed, so pulse guiding should work.

Could it simply be that my EQMod driver has got confused and needs to be re-set, or am I looking down the barrel of sending my mount back to the dealer?

Does any of this make sense?

Thoughts and feedback most welcome. 

I know its a daft one but if you look in EQMOD set up(spanner thingy) are there ticks against Ascom Pulseguide settings especially DEC Rate and what value does the DEC rate show - on mine its x0.90 but I do PulseGuiding.  I would expect these to be zero and unticked for ST4 as I thought the commands were direct from the camera ST4 port to the mount St4 port. But not sure if , as you say,EQMOD is trying to get in on the game and confusing the mount. Maybe recheck all software is working the same - ST4.

Plus dont forget to use EQMOD set up to alter EQMOD back to ST4 - see picture

Sorry in advance.

pulse.jpg

My observatory is in a remote location to me and it is a 120 km round trip so I was trying to get some info first.

I think I will fire up the pc and mount, park it in the home position (as I use a custom park) and then shut it all down except for the pc and dump the EQMod config and check all other software and start again. I would have thought if there was a mount problem, then the Dec motor would not work at all.

Thanks for the input so far.

12 hours ago, MeyGray3833 said:

My observatory is in a remote location to me and it is a 120 km round trip so I was trying to get some info first.

I think I will fire up the pc and mount, park it in the home position (as I use a custom park) and then shut it all down except for the pc and dump the EQMod config and check all other software and start again. I would have thought if there was a mount problem, then the Dec motor would not work at all.

Thanks for the input so far.

And I think my Obsys is far away being 120feet :laugh2:

Archived