Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Alan White

Wooden Eyepiece case or box?

13 hours ago, Alan White said:

I have a uncanny ability to do stupid things, so perhaps it’s me that needs a nice padded case to keep me safe instead.

I'm glad it's not just me @Alan White, my wife lives in perpetual fear of hearing the sound of tinkling glass whenever I enter the kitchen.

I've managed to drop the ED100 onto wet grass and had a couple of near misses with the ED120 so far, mainly down to me forgetting to properly tighten the dovetail clamp after balancing the OTA.

I have a foam filled flight case for my eyepiece collection but use soft cases for whatever I'm observing with for an evening.

I'd love a nice wooden box but alas, much to my master carpenter grandfather's disappointment, I'm not even capable of hammering a nail in straight.

Edited by AdeKing
  • Like 1

@AdeKing sounds familiar, my woodwork teacher referred to me as The Wood Butcher and has been proven frighteningly accurate ever since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Alan White said:

@AdeKing sounds familiar, my woodwork teacher referred to me as The Wood Butcher and has been proven frighteningly accurate ever since.

that's why I did metalwork at school tried woodwork, but wood gives in to easy to mistakes.... And to this day my job involves steel/metals so friendly :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

What all these case's lack is the Steel tube with a Hamlet cigar for when you find something new in the sky. "I found that"  (Sorry non smokers) as I am one but had to giggle. If you get what I mean. But those wooden cases are great and a real craft of work.

• Like 1

Here are the latest occupants of my wooden eyepiece case. Gone are the Televue Plossl's, replaced by pairs of pseudo masuyama's, a single 17.5mm Morpheus and my set of Vixen HR's.  There's still room for two more Morpheus - Morpheus's - Morphii, and then I think I'll have my perfect set - possibly!?? Still the same wooden case though, which I still like as much today as I did when I bought it from Hobbycraft in 2017.

1597930661_2020-02-0609_35_03.jpg.7c0c4527477780f85cfc5914bd0b81fe.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alan White said:

You are not alone Alan. My first attempt at a mortice and tenon joint was greeted with......" That's not a fit, it's a convulsion'

Edited by Saganite
  • Haha 5

"A tub of putty and a pot of paint, makes a joiner what he ain't!"  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I bought a couple of wood eyepiece cases from "Wood Wonders" in the US a few years ago I love them but now I need another one. If someone is looking for gift suggestions for you....🤪

tv5.JPG

tv8.JPG

• Like 4

6 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Here are the latest occupants of my wooden eyepiece case. Gone are the Televue Plossl's, replaced by pairs of pseudo masuyama's, a single 17.5mm Morpheus and my set of Vixen HR's.  There's still room for two more Morpheus - Morpheus's - Morphii, and then I think I'll have my perfect set - possibly!?? Still the same wooden case though, which I still like as much today as I did when I bought it from Hobbycraft in 2017.

1597930661_2020-02-0609_35_03.jpg.7c0c4527477780f85cfc5914bd0b81fe.jpg

Nice box (and contents) and having just looked at the Hobbycraft website, reasonably priced.

I know where I'm headed at the weekend.

• Like 2