Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion's Belt widefield, 1300D

My first try at astrophotography, the orion. Taken with canon eos 1300D on a static tripod.

Details- 

Lights - 9 x 7secs

Iso - 6400

Lens - 18- 55mm kit Lens at 55mm

Stacked em in DSS and did little tweeks in Rawtherapee, i'll try to learn photoshop to improve the results

Looking forward to some suggestions :icon_biggrin:

final orion.jpg

A good first image :) I got some tips, though.

6400iso is very high. I normally shoot at 800 myself (I think that's the conventional wisdom, 1600 or even 400 might be the best depending on camera) if you use an ISO too high you don't get more data but reduce your dynamic range, causing stars & bright nebulae to clip faster.

The next tip is, after working out what ISO works best for you, setting your camera to burst mode @ fastest shutter speed, with the lens cap on and at that ISO, then take between 50-100 shots. Keep these raw files and include them in your DSS stacks as "bias" frames. These can help reduce some noise in your photos, and are necessary for flat frames.

Flat files are where, at the same ISO, focal length and f.stop you shot your lights & bias at, you take a photo to "map" the dark parts in your lens&camera. This is used by DSS to combat vignetting (which is visible in your image). Some people use paper, some create lightboxes. Several guides and threads exist out there to help you.

As mentioned above, more light frames are also good!

Keep at it, experiment, have fun, and you'll get much much better shots than this in the future! Look for large targets like emission nebulae, milky way, Andromeda etc and you'll be in the money :)

Also your bank account might shrink more than you'd like...

Archived