Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

gorann

Today's APOD of the Bubble

Friends,

Last summer Wim @wimvband I entertained ourselves with processing freely available data (subs) from the Liverpool Telescope, since Sweden is too light for AP that time of the year. I was just told that one of my attempts on the Bubble made today's APOD! Yes I know, the data is from The Liverpool Telescope, a 2 m RC scope on La Palma, so not collected with my own stuff, but I did the stacking (Nebulosity) and processing (PS).

Now I just have to come down to earth again...

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap180205.html

Liverpool Bubble RGB2 PS18signNC.jpg

• Like 27

Published! 

Great job ?? 

I’d get a reddish smudge if I tried!

Paul

Congratulations Göran, that is an amazing bubble. A bit spooky perhaps (I'm sure it resembles an alien face), but incredible detail. 

As I wrote to you before: congratulations. Well deserved.

I noticed this and recognised the name :) Congrats, and good job on the processing.

2 hours ago, Adreneline said:

Congratulations! An amzing image.

Adrian

2 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Published! 

Great job ?? 

I’d get a reddish smudge if I tried!

Paul

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Well done!

1 hour ago, StargeezerTim said:

Congrats Gorann! :thumbsup:

I have submitted a couple to Sky at Night and never even got an acknowledgement :sad2:

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

Nice one Gorann.

1 hour ago, Petergoodhew said:

Congratulations Göran, that is an amazing bubble. A bit spooky perhaps (I'm sure it resembles an alien face), but incredible detail. 

56 minutes ago, wimvb said:

As I wrote to you before: congratulations. Well deserved.

55 minutes ago, Shibby said:

I noticed this and recognised the name :) Congrats, and good job on the processing.

Thank you all!

This was a real light in an otherwise dull day where I have been forced to sit and listen to rumblings in a strategy seminar. So clearly it made my day!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Astrophotography is a broad church and, as long as all is declared, all is, to my mind, welcome.

Congratulations.

Olly

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gorann said:

Thank you all!

This was a real light in an otherwise dull day where I have been forced to sit and listen to rumblings in a strategy seminar. So clearly it made my day!

In the days to come Gorann it will be your photograph and it's selection for APOD you remember , nothing of your dull seminar will remain. :)

Tell's us all something about what is important in life - do what you love and enjoy it. :) Well done, it really is a fantastic photograph and great use of the Liverpool Telescope, well done again. 

Jim

3 hours ago, gingergeek said:

Awesome work on the processing

3 hours ago, lux eterna said:

Grattis Göran ! :thumbsup:

Ragnar

2 hours ago, Red meteor said:

I can see why they chose it. Congratulations.

Graham

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Astrophotography is a broad church and, as long as all is declared, all is, to my mind, welcome.

Congratulations.

Olly

1 hour ago, saac said:

In the days to come Gorann it will be your photograph and it's selection for APOD you remember , nothing of your dull seminar will remain. :)

Tell's us all something about what is important in life - do what you love and enjoy it. :) Well done, it really is a fantastic photograph and great use of the Liverpool Telescope, well done again. 

Jim

Thank you all!

Today's strategy seminar is over and I had a few beers in the hotel bar to celebrate

Cheers!

• Like 2

A very worthy APOD, congratulations.

No doubt the raw data was first class, (the Liverpool Telescope is definitely not on Merseyside) but images like that don't just appear on the screen by themselves, so please take the credit:icon_biggrin:

5 hours ago, tomato said:

A very worthy APOD, congratulations.

No doubt the raw data was first class, (the Liverpool Telescope is definitely not on Merseyside) but images like that don't just appear on the screen by themselves, so please take the credit:icon_biggrin:

Thanks, much appreciated!

Now that's the bubble.....great one and congrats.

Rodd

37 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Now that's the bubble.....great one and congrats.

Rodd

Thanks Rodd!

I seem to remember having seen some outstanding images from you so why not submit some to the APOD people. Do you have your images collected somewhere, like Astrobin, so I and others can look through your production?

49 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks Rodd!

I seem to remember having seen some outstanding images from you so why not submit some to the APOD people. Do you have your images collected somewhere, like Astrobin, so I and others can look through your production?

I have submitted images to APOD and APPOD2 as well.  Nom luck.  Did you submit, or was your image just found.  I wonder if you have to submit to get it.  There must be thousands submitted. Also,  I know that some of the Astrobin images of the day are not what I would choose for the highest distinction.  

Rodd

Just now, Rodd said:

I have submitted images to APOD and APPOD2 as well.  Nom luck.  Did you submit, or was your image just found.  I wonder if you have to submit to get it.  There must be thousands submitted. Also,  I know that some of the Astrobin images of the day are not what I would choose for the highest distinction.  

Rodd

It was the Liverpool Telescope people that submitted it. They made a gallery on their net site of the images that Wim and I processed. So, this was a great and very pleasant surprise to me. The way APOD present it in the text (all about interesting cosmological features and nothing about how it was captured) suggest to me that images with interesting cosmology are more likely to win than just pretty images.

About Astrobin, I asked you since it would be good to see your images collected somewhere so I (and  others) could suggest to you what images you could try to submit to APOD or other sites. You are always so critical about your own images so maybe the eyes of others could be of help to identify your gems.

What is APPOD2?

Cheers

5 minutes ago, gorann said:

It was the Liverpool Telescope people that submitted it. They made a gallery on their net site of the images that Wim and I processed. So, this was a great and very pleasant surprise to me. The way APOD present it in the text (all about interesting cosmological features and nothing about how it was captured) suggest to me that images with interesting cosmology are more likely to win than just pretty images.

About Astrobin, I asked you since it would be good to see your images collected somewhere so I (and  others) could suggest to you what images you could try to submit to APOD or other sites. You are always so critical about your own images so maybe the eyes of others could be of help to identify your gems.

What is APPOD2?

Cheers

My Astrobin page is under RAD (the initials of my name). Rodd

3 minutes ago, Rodd said:

My Astrobin page is under RAD (the initials of my name). Rodd

Thanks I have a look. And what is APPOD2???