Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC7000 and IC1396 widefields

winfij

Howdy all,

I got a couple of clear nights last week, but with my focuser on my main scope out of action, I took the opportunity to move the ART11002 onto the Pentax SDHF-75 and try a couple of big targets using the 3 degree fov this setup provides.

I selected NGC7000, the North American nebula, plus IC1396 complete with the Elephant's trunk.

There's no motirized focuser on that refractor, so I spent some 25 mins tweaking the focus before I was happy - I'm glad I dont always have to do that!

Anyway, here's the results, each exposure was about 3 hours long through a 7nm Ha filter, with the ccd binned 2x2.

Comments/suggestions welcome as always.

Click the images below to go to the page with details and click through from there to get to the full size images.

Cheers,

John

IC1396-20080927-Ha.jpg

NGC7000-20080921-Ha.jpg

Great results John. You've certainly got the set up working well for you. I do like the look of that Pentax. I love the IC 1396 since it is less commonly attempted. Lots of interesting detail in there. What's next on the agenda?

John, these images are awesome!

Any chance you can get the colour for them?

Imagine finished in the Hubble Palette......breathtaking.

I'm afraid not - I don't have the 2" versions of the SII and OIII filters - they're pretty pricey.

I do have the 1.25" versions, but they're no use at all with this big ccd.

John

Awesome images John! very big too! the detail you've managed to capture is quite staggering. :)

Thanks. :D

These were binned 2x2 so i could get deep enough in a single (short) night. The 7nm filter is great for cutting through the light pollution (mag 4.5 skies here) but it doesn't leave much signal - 5 mins subs are the minimum I can get away with and I didn't want to push it any longer with imaging unguided.

John

Archived