SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Little Dumbbell nebula

iansmith

So here is my latest attempt at imaging/processing. This time its the Little Dumbbell Nebula (M76, NGC650/1). Taken over December and January the nebula is  a bi-colour image taken through Ha and O3 filters. The stars are a broadband RGB image. This was also the first image where I used the automated focusing software FocusLock in conjunction with the ONAG. Whilst imaging it resulted in nice tight stars, any bloat in this image is entirely down to my poor processing skills. The system works by analysing the guide star image and applying small corrections to the fous position as required, even whilst the data is being captured. 

Capture details: Celestron Edge HD11, Atik 414EX, ONAG and Ultrastar guide camera, Starlight Xpress filter wheel, Astrodon filters:  18x600s 3nm Ha, binned 2x2; 18x600s 3nm O3, binned 2x2; 30x60s Red, Green and Blue, binned 2x2.

The nebula data was combined as Red: 100% Ha; Green: 50% Ha & 50% O3; Blue: 100% O3. 

Enough of the techo babble, M76 is a bipolar planetary nebula in the constellation of Perseus. Distance estimates put it at approx 2,500ly which makes it 1.23ly wide. From the image you can see the dense central ring, with two fainter lobes of gas spreading out from it. I have tried to capture the fainter nebulosity that extends even further out from these lobes, but at the same time not over expose the central ring with all its amazing structure. This ring is thought to be expanding at 42km/s. The lobes are believed to be moving more slowly. There is also a much fainter halo of material further out, the result of a strong stellar wind from the star's Red giant days, but I have not been able to capture this and I've not seen any images of it.

Here is my image, I hope you like it, any comments and criticisms welcome.

NGC650.jpg.d6c9a951754fd3a679859f8c377d6e81.jpg

Cheers, Ian

20 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Nicely done Ian, one of those ideal SCT targets, I usually try to get a few more subs of it when it's passing, may actually try processing them sometime :grin:

Dave

Thanks Dave. When I switched from planets to deep sky stuff I thought "what could this scope image". And it was either small galaxies or PN. Swindon's light pollution made it pretty obvious narrow band was the way to go. Plus I like PN anyway, so a win-win for me :)

Cheers, Ian.

Archived