Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just joined the H alpha club.

laudropb

After a couple of years of enjoying WL solar observing I have decided to take the plunge and move on to try Ha views. Just pressed the FLO button on a Lunt LS50 with a Feather Touch Focuser. Probably a couple of weeks before first light as Sun is still a bit low from my back garden. Just giving you a warning that a series of questions are bound to follow.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am lead to believe you can do this when the Moon is about, I am doing a bit of imaging with some of my gear and would like to press deeper in to the dark art but not forget visual. Some of these filters though do cost a lot, another thread was talking of Astrodon I believe and a short wavelength that I don't really understand, when I saw the price I was quite pleased with my lack of knowledge.

Alan

30 minutes ago, laudropb said:

I have decided to take the plunge and move on to try Ha views

Excellent news! I've got that scope (although with the standard focuser) and have enjoyed using it immensely over the last couple of years. Even though the solar is rather quiet in WL, there is still H_alpha prominence activity to be seen. I think you will enjoy it.

Nice one congrats! I got a LS50THa ~5 months ago and love it. Good call on the focuser upgrade.  In fact I'm just back in from sneaking a peek at the sun between showers here.

Beware the sweet siren call of the wonderful LS50C to go with it... :icon_cool:

Good grief! Glasgow is as far north as I am!  :icon_biggrin:

I need a very tall stepladder just to see the Sun at this time of year. :wink2:

We will all be very interested in hearing your impressions of H-alpha.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Archived