Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 - last of the Kelling batch

MartinB

This was captured on Thursday night. After a patch of early cloud conditions were superb. From my back garden when imaging without an LP filter I can manage about 90 secs before sky glow becomes excessive. At Kelling I started at 240 secs but soon switched to 400 secs. When I still was picking up very little sky brightness I moved up to 600 secs. I could easily have gone a lot longer.

I was using an ED80 with WO 0.8 reducer/flattener with QHY8 camera. The image is a combination of 8x400 secs and 20x600, a little over 4 hours worth.

Captured and stacked in Maxim and processed with PS

I think M31 is the hardest of all DSOs to image. This is my 3rd good go at it and finally I think I've just about got what I wanted.

8946_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

breathtaking image Martin. As you say, M31 gives the impression of being easy but in actual fact is one of the harder objects to get right. A bit like the Double Cluster.

You've really nailed M31 with this image though.......now my desktop image for the week :)

Russ

This is very nice indeed, Martin and it is interesting to see you using the same 'scope/FR that I am currently using. There is some great detail in there and I can only confirm that even though M31 is large and visible, it is not at all easy to capture because of the huge spread of brightness!

Thanks everyone, I was please with how it worked out and the performance of the QHY8. Think I've got M31 out of my system now!

Steve - I will have a look at the subs with CCD inspector and see how it looks with the flattener better spaced than with the heart. The stars are still elongated in the corners but overall it did seem flatter.

Very salubrious.

Ron. :lol:

:):D thanks Ron, chuffed to bits with salubrious. Or should I say my heart rises like the lark :D

Hey!, don't overdo it, I am no George Meredith. :laughing2: I had to work hard for salubrious. :mrgreen:

Archived