Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New to image editing, need help with Moon eclipse timelapse editing

I'm new to astrophotography and I took photos of Lunar eclipse yesterday.

I want to make timelapse video of moon being eclipsed and become brighter again. But I took photos with normal tripod(no equatorial) so it isn't tracked and moons are everywhere.

I want this moons to be aligned. How can I do that? What software ad what function should I use? I tried Photoshop Gif stabilizer but it says it should be at least 40% crossed.

how can I make my moons aligned and make a neat timelapse?

P.S. It is about 600 photos so it's impossible to manually do that. And If you think it is impossible, please just say impossible so i can move on to next project.

If it's a video you're creating, I'd use adobe after effects... open the files as a sequence, then use the built in camera steady software to align the moon, manual tweaking can be done on frames that don't align properly... then crop away the edges and render the movie as the video file type of your choosing.

HTH Art.

This is what I was told. I tried the Object Planetary and it worked.

"The first approach I tried was using Frame Stabilisation mode: Object Planetary.  The only thing that was not obvious was the 'Centre Object In Each Frame' option was not enabled by default.

The second approach used Frame Stabilization mode: Surface Feature.  For this I selected an AOFB box tightly around the whole Moon and used the AOI box to select the area of the image to keep."

He gave me a coupe of files to load up but I thought it's be safer to give you screenshots of the Processing Options settings for both the Planetary and Surface options. Good luck!

Object Planetary Stabilisation Settings Screenshot.jpg

Surface Feature Stabilisation Settings Screenshot.jpg

On 2018. 2. 3. at 05:41, Astrosurf said:

"The first approach I tried was using Frame Stabilisation mode: Object Planetary.  The only thing that was not obvious was the 'Centre Object In Each Frame' option was not enabled by default.

The second approach used Frame Stabilization mode: Surface Feature.  For this I selected an AOFB box tightly around the whole Moon and used the AOI box to select the area of the image to keep."

He gave me a coupe of files to load up but I thought it's be safer to give you screenshots of the Processing Options settings for both the Planetary and Surface options. Good luck!

On 2018. 2. 3. at 05:41, Astrosurf said:

Thanks! It worked! PIPP is the best! 

I don't know how to use after effect and set tracking... As I was worrying the immense work I have to give, I saw PPIP and It worked almost perfectly! Thanks!

One downside was that the image doesn't rotate to make it fit. During Eclipse the moon was quite obvious shape so it aligned perfectly, but after the moon reached the full moon, PIPP didn't rotated the photo to align. So I had to manually rotate the photo on Sony Vegas, the software I used to make final timelapse. I thought they would align the photos by detecting the dark oceans of the moon but It didn't. 

Otherwise It looked good! Once again, thanks for all the good replies!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived