Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dawn planet(s)

kerrylewis

Got up at 5.30 for Jupiter and Mars- although due to a combination of rooftops and badly placed clouds, I didn’t actually get to see Mars through the scope before I gave up as a complete blanket covered the sky.

Jupiter was OK with the GRS transiting about 6.00. In moments of reasonable seeing the belts were well defined and the shape and dark red colour of the spot were visible. At other times the planet swam as if someone was applying one of those wobbly special effects you see on TV. It was a matter of keeping your eye on the eyepiece to catch the good moments.

The moons were nicely arranged as a ‘double double’ on one side of the disc. One pair getting closer and one moving apart.

Tried my new (to me) Nagler  3-6mm zoom. Very useful in quickly determining the maximum possible magnification - which wasn’t much this morning!  

Observing planets  is certainly going to be a struggle for a while- much patience will be needed.:icon_biggrin:

Good on you for getting up and at it Kerry, shame the conditions weren't better. I'm struggling to get excited over planetary observing currently which is a shame as it is one of my favourite things.

To be honest Kerry, I've struggled to see much on Jupiter so far this apparition, and this morning I couldn't find Mars for love nor money as it was lost in the bright dawn sky.  I was in a mad rush though as I'd to drive my son to work, yet all wasn't lost! After a miserable night of snow clouds I missed observing the Moon. This morning however, as I was driving west along the M65, I had a wonderful transparent view of its beautiful brilliant silver white disc, which revealed amazing detail even to the unaided eye. It was perfectly safe though, as my son was watching the road! ?

13 hours ago, kerrylewis said:

It was a matter of keeping your eye on the eyepiece to catch the good moments.

Thats often the case, just waiting and waiting, and no matter how much you tweak your system, or change eyepieces, nothing improves, then POP!  the most perfect stable image, that last for a few seconds, in-fact my best view of Jupiter in the last four Years was probably less than a minute long, but the pencil sharp shadow of Io's shadow on the face of Jupiter was simply stunning, proving that my scope IS capable, you just need to wait for and capture that moment.

Till it happens again, keep watching and  waiting, when the conditions allow.

Nice one - I threw my 10" out this morning at 6am: I knew by the jetstream forecast that I wasnt in for good seeing :) But I just had to try for a first look at Jupiter this apparition!

A quick look with a 13T6 showed how much my scope had to cool, and 50mins later the views were a lot better, still so-so seeing, and the scope was being buffeted by the cold breeze.

I swapped to my binoviewer with plossls and had a few glimpses of the GRS as it neared the limb, I could see the arching streak in the SEB going around it.  When hopefully the jetsream goes off to bother more southerly locations, cant wait to get the 15" on it.

Had a peep at Mars: yup it was there, but tiny and was not giving up detail.

Just nice to use a scope again, and love seeing a clear sky transition through all the shades of blue as dawn arrives!!

Got up at 6.00 and looked out of the window. Lovely last quarter moon, Jupiter and there’s Mars and Antares. Good! Mount is set up, the Tak will soon cool. Got togged up and out, lined up on the moon. Mmmm- little bit obscured, never mind, over to Jupiter. Where's Jupiter?. Behind a complete blanket of cloud slowly spreading east, that’s where!. 

:icon_biggrin:Ah well, I tried 

....not so good! I'm obscured at home by the street lighting and tree tops, so the views are less than perfect just now, but Orion last night  looked good, filling my natural view,  if it were not for the street lights, and even when I 'hide' between the side of the house and shed, there's too much light reflected off the buildings. 
Summer here soon, scope wont get used at all during the twilight nights............perhaps locally, I'm in the wrong location for this hobby.
And don't mention the weather?

Archived