Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

I'm pretty new to this whole astrophotography thing, specifically the whole image resolving and stacking part. I've been using registax 6 to edit the videos, and I think I'm pretty much done with an image of Jupiter I've been practicing on from a video of Jupiter I found on the internet. I was wondering what I should do to get rid of those weird ring things around the edge of Jupiter and maybe clean up and sharpen the edges all together. Any other tips you have that could make the image cleaner are very much welcome. Thanks!

jupiter_practice1.jpg

Edited by Mr_Timn

I think the "...weird ring things around the edge..." is normal, I maybe wrong. I have seen it on images of Jupiter on other astronomy forums.

Edited by Philip R

At this point I'd load the image into PS and make 3 layers out of it... I'd align the RGB channels to line up so that you have no more of that fringing in the middle of the planet on one layer, and each side for the remaining layers.

At this step just mask out the fringing layers, and you'll be left with a clean balanced image... You can use filters like sharpen, unsharp mask, smart sharpen, etc certain plugins like topaz to gently increase the detail.

I don't think RGB align is the problem (but yes the RGB align works in RG6).  It looks like the wavelets application is a bit too severe to me.  I gave up with RG6 as it is just too harsh on images.  I now use Autostakkert which is a much more user friendly programme (and it works on my MAC) and then I sharpen in photoshop in similar fashion to that suggested by @MarsG76.  There is some great detail in the bands on the image.

Thank you everyone for the help. I think I will try out autostakkert and see how it goes. I never actually expected to get help from anyone. Very friendly forum!

Edited by Mr_Timn

3 hours ago, Mr_Timn said:

Thank you everyone for the help. I think I will try out autostakkert and see how it goes. I never actually expected to get help from anyone. Very friendly forum!

You'll find that after stacking in autostakkert , you will still need to apply wavelets, RG6 is good, I find Astra Image 4 has some good wavelets (and other processing tools) also...

14 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

You'll find that after stacking in autostakkert , you will still need to apply wavelets, RG6 is good, I find Astra Image 4 has some good wavelets (and other processing tools) also...

Just a thought, if you were to take 300 indivual videos of jupiter, process each video to get 300 processed images, and then stack all of those, would you be able to increase detail? like I said, I'm relatively new, so any other tips or recommendations would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Mr_Timn said:

Just a thought, if you were to take 300 indivual videos of jupiter, process each video to get 300 processed images, and then stack all of those, would you be able to increase detail? like I said, I'm relatively new, so any other tips or recommendations would be appreciated.

Yes and no.. if you just stack them, than you'll blur out the detail die to the planets very fast rotation..... so you'll end up with motion blur.... BUT.... you can use WinJUPOS, it has a DE-ROTATION feature that works very well to do exactly that, stack multiple stacks, and get more detail and less noise (higher SnR) in the final result.