Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

If I were to chop my Pentax XW 10mmm.......gasps heard...

Alan White

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Alan's Geoptik bag thread, I noticed he has a nice SW 150 F5 Newt. To me that scope would be the one to use a LVW22 & 10XW on. And any later larger scope.

Balancing and weight distribution will be different, and much less an issue.

Mounting a scope on the top instead of side of a Skytee 2, and vv, will also make a difference to balance. This I think is due to gravity and positioning of the scope's weight in relation to alt and azi axis (also if one or the other is less used it's motion might be less free without the clutch).

I keep my TV Genesis on the Panoramic mount I bought with it and am considering a Gibraltar for my fracs.

My older 9mm Vixen LV still holds up pretty well at a measly 50 degrees and 18mm of usable eye relief.  The newer SLV line is reputed to have better transmission, but less usable eye relief.

The 9mm Meade HD-60 was pretty much holding its own last night against the Vixen and my 10mm Delos.  The same goes for their 6.5mm vs 7mm XW and 4.5mm vs 5.2mm XL.  Each has a measured 63 degree AFOV and 15mm of usable eye relief.  Correction to the edge was very good in each.  I'll have to double check on my scale, but Meade claims the 9mm weighs 11 oz.  If it was decloaked, it would probably weigh 7 or 8 oz.

If you want light weight, I've got a 9mm generic Kellner similar to this one with a 46 degree field and 4mm of usable eye relief.  It's pretty sharp in the center 30 degrees.  I doubt it weighs 3 oz.

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

My older 9mm Vixen LV still holds up pretty well at a measly 50 degrees and 18mm of usable eye relief.  The newer SLV line is reputed to have better transmission, but less usable eye relief.

The 9mm Meade HD-60 was pretty much holding its own last night against the Vixen and my 10mm Delos.  The same goes for their 6.5mm vs 7mm XW and 4.5mm vs 5.2mm XL.  Each has a measured 63 degree AFOV and 15mm of usable eye relief.  Correction to the edge was very good in each.  I'll have to double check on my scale, but Meade claims the 9mm weighs 11 oz.  If it was decloaked, it would probably weigh 7 or 8 oz.

If you want light weight, I've got a 9mm generic Kellner similar to this one with a 46 degree field and 4mm of usable eye relief.  It's pretty sharp in the center 30 degrees.  I doubt it weighs 3 oz.

I have a pair of LV 9mm for an eventual bino viewer purchase. They are right size and weight for binos. 

SLVs do indeed have less useable ER.

Just now, 25585 said:

I have a pair of LV 9mm for an eventual bino viewer purchase. They are right size and weight for binos. 

They're just a bit on the high side for me because I use a 2x nose piece to reach focus, so it's effectively at least 2.5x to 3x.  That renders 9mm closer to 3mm or 4mm for me and binoviewer usage.  I use 16mm to 23mm eyepieces and 8-24mm zooms in my binoviewer for the most part.  If I want a really large exit pupil for viewing nebula, I pop in a pair of 32mm Plossls despite the obvious vignetting.

20 hours ago, F15Rules said:

How about selling the weakling ED80 and buying a scope that's less weight sensitive?:evil4::evil4::angel9:

:angel9:Dave

Dave, how could you suggest such a thing.......ok you did and if it was not the need for a shorter set up for back at present, it would be replaced with a 100 or 120.

19 hours ago, Ricochet said:

If you want I'll swap you my 10.5XL, that'll save you 16g :happy7: But seriously, if I was trying to save weight and maintain the same image quality I think I would consider the Delites. I think that dropping down to 50° eyepieces would be too much. The other option would be to fiddle with the clutches, there must be a point at which there is enough friction to hold the scope but not enough to prevent smooth movement when you want it.

I can indeed, but I like to use it freestyle without clutches a chunk of the time, only use slow mo for high power.

3 hours ago, 25585 said:

From Alan's Geoptik bag thread, I noticed he has a nice SW 150 F5 Newt. To me that scope would be the one to use a LVW22 & 10XW on. And any later larger scope.

Balancing and weight distribution will be different, and much less an issue.

Mounting a scope on the top instead of side of a Skytee 2, and vv, will also make a difference to balance. This I think is due to gravity and positioning of the scope's weight in relation to alt and azi axis (also if one or the other is less used it's motion might be less free without the clutch).

I keep my TV Genesis on the Panoramic mount I bought with it and am considering a Gibraltar for my fracs.

The 150p does balance well with the EP's but its not the scope I favour, I like my ED80, cuts through the clagg and light pollution better and the scope I am talking about in my posts.
The Skytee 2 is just made for a Newtonian.

Always mount on the side of the Skytee, the top is devoid of any clamps and always will remain so.

11 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I can indeed, but I like to use it freestyle without clutches a chunk of the time, only use slow mo for high power.

It's too bad the SkyTee requires clutching and unclutching and seemingly has no adjustable tension on each axis.  My DSV-2B allows me to freely move to new targets with the handle and then track at will with either the handle or slow motion controls, depending on my needs at the moment.  Each axis also has variable tension independent of the slow-mo clutches' tension.  That, and there are axis locks to keep it on target while swapping eyepieces.  Perhaps you need to look into a different alt-az mount for your ED80 rather than ditch your heavy eyepieces.

7 hours ago, Louis D said:

It's too bad the SkyTee requires clutching and unclutching and seemingly has no adjustable tension on each axis.  My DSV-2B allows me to freely move to new targets with the handle and then track at will with either the handle or slow motion controls, depending on my needs at the moment.  Each axis also has variable tension independent of the slow-mo clutches' tension.  That, and there are axis locks to keep it on target while swapping eyepieces.  Perhaps you need to look into a different alt-az mount for your ED80 rather than ditch your heavy eyepieces.

I would imagine a Vixen Porta 2 would be fine for an ED80. Or the SW AZ5 maybe.

Alternatively  http://ensoptical.co.uk/televue-gibraltar-style-head?search=Tele vue gibraltar

Can the eye cup on a XW not be unscrewed and removed completely? I have not tried that with mine, but seem to remember a thread where @Johnposted a photo showing it was possible. That solution would cut weight down.

7 hours ago, Louis D said:

I would imagine a Vixen Porta 2 would be fine for an ED80. Or the SW AZ5 maybe.

Otherwise try this for a slight weight reduction.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1778564-My10XW.jpg

As a final update to my thread.
I have made my mind up and with a slightly heavy heart will be placing this up for sale very soon.

The ownership has been short and sweet but has shown me what I like, dislike and confirms my feelings on a balanced set up too.

I can only heap praise on the 10XW and fully see why it is highly regarded.

6 hours ago, Alan White said:

As a final update to my thread.
I have made my mind up and with a slightly heavy heart will be placing this up for sale very soon.

The ownership has been short and sweet but has shown me what I like, dislike and confirms my feelings on a balanced set up too.

I can only heap praise on the 10XW and fully see why it is highly regarded.

Having seen your ep case in the "show me" thread I can see the size difference you have mentioned.

Can always buy a 10XW again another day (but not so the LVW). Hopefully you will be able to buy a lighter, equally good substitute for 10mm. ☺

2 hours ago, 25585 said:

Hopefully you will be able to buy a lighter, equally good substitute for 10mm.

If mainstream manufacturers switched to Delrin like Russell Optics did, or aluminum like Siebert Optics did, they could save a lot of weight without having to change the optical formula of their eyepieces.

As I final update, I have indeed passed this excellent eyepiece on to another SGL member.
It went due to the size and weight on comparison with my other eyepieces and that I just like the TV Plossl.
No reflection on the XW, it was stunning and on a larger scope would be well balanced.

• 3 months later...
On 31/01/2018 at 19:46, Alan White said:

In the same direction as my LVW thread, but this is even worse to contemplate....

If the 10mm XW wonder were to go to the alter in sacrifice of smaller lighter eye pieces, what would be a close consolation replacement, light options only and does not have to be eyerelief above 12mm.

I can hear the gasps and shock as I type suggesting such herresay!

As an update, it was a terrible, terrible mistake!
I have kept the 22mm LVW and added a 13mm and now an 8mm.
The 10 XW would have sat well in the line up and should not have gone.

Sacrifice was made for smaller and lighter,
BUT and its a big BUT, the scope balanced no better; it was me being stupid - it often happens. 

I am now wanting comfortable easy and relaxed viewing,
the LVW and XW deliver that in spades and with great quality and clarity.
They all are similar weights, so should work well inter mixed.
I am also now liking the longer eye relief as glasses when observing may be headed my way very soon, it's my age.

Next time I contemplate something so stupid, please SLAP ME!

Anyway watch this space........ OK go on then, 5mm XW incoming ?

On 31/01/2018 at 20:10, Timebandit said:

I seriously think you need the men in white coats if you decide to " Chop" the Pentax XW.

Don't you like perfection?

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

As an update, it was a terrible, terrible mistake!
I have kept the 22mm LVW and added a 13mm and now an 8mm.
The 10 XW would have sat well in the line up and should not have gone.

Sacrifice was made for smaller and lighter,
BUT and its a big BUT, the scope balanced no better; it was me being stupid - it often happens. 

I am now wanting comfortable easy and relaxed viewing,
the LVW and XW deliver that in spades and with great quality and clarity.
They all are similar weights, so should work well inter mixed.
I am also now liking the longer eye relief as glasses when observing may be headed my way very soon, it's my age.

Next time I contemplate something so stupid, please SLAP ME!

Anyway watch this space........ OK go on then, 5mm XW incoming ?

Don't like to say it Alan. But what were you thinking of?

I said you needed the men in white coats ?.

Anyone who has used the Pentax XW in shorter focal range, know how good they are .

I have never thought about selling mine. As just so good at what they do. Work so well in the reflector and refractor. A complete eyepiece experience IMO ☺

I think many of us have done this sort of thing and regretted it Alan. I know I have more than once :icon_confused:

It'a all part of the learning curve I guess ..... :smiley:

Archived