Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

If I were to chop my Pentax XW 10mmm.......gasps heard...

Alan White

In the same direction as my LVW thread, but this is even worse to contemplate....

If the 10mm XW wonder were to go to the alter in sacrifice of smaller lighter eye pieces, what would be a close consolation replacement, light options only and does not have to be eyerelief above 12mm.

I can hear the gasps and shock as I type suggesting such herresay!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Alan White said:

In the same direction as my LVW thread, but this is even worse to contemplate....

If the 10mm XW wonder were to go to the alter in sacrifice of smaller lighter eye pieces, what would be a close consolation replacement, light options only and does not have to be eyerelief above 12mm.

Do you have a pocket full of orthos? I bought a bunch of used Circle T's- they are nice and some exceptional. I was testing them against the Zeiss zoom and the Docter UWA- the best ones held up well. Of course the FOV is narrow. The Tak orthos eyecup is a great asset and are vg.

If I sold my other eyepieces the Lunt 20mm HDC would stay and so would the orthos.. Sorry to sway off course Alan.

3 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

I seriously think you need the men in white coats if you decide to " Chop" the Pentax XW.

Don't you like perfection?

I do like the perfection and edge to edge sharpness, but I get that with tv Plossls too, if I could find a diet xw I would be happy.

8 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Orthoscopic suggestion is good, but I do not like my eyeball welded to the lens.

Using a longer focal length eyepiece with a barlow works well for me. :icon_cyclops: However I must admit, the 10mm XW is one of the finest eyepieces going!

7 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Using a longer focal length eyepiece with a barlow works well for me. :icon_cyclops: However I must admit, the 10mm XW is one of the finest eyepieces going!

There in lies the problem, the xw has spoiled the party by being so good, but rather over fed for my tastes.

33 minutes ago, martinl said:

Nagler T6, perhaps? I liked my 11mm, except for the 12mm ER. 

Alternative solution: Keep the 22LVW and 10XW. Get more LVWs / XWs / Deloses. 

This. 

With a Barlow for the 10XW you have a good 5mm for little more weight. So 5, 10, 22 all weighing much the same. 

What extra weight is tipping point? 

TV Radians are light and will be cheaper than Delites and a good ep with 20mm eye relief. I have recently swapped my 10 & 5 as I now have XWs. 

26 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Orthoscopic suggestion is good, but I do not like my eyeball welded to the lens.

In all fairness to the Ortho around the 10mm focal length mark. I do not think the eyerelief is that bad , certainly  your eye ball is not welded to the lens.

Now if you were talking 4mm , 5mm,  6mm Ortho then I would probably agree they are a bit tight in the eye relief department?

Or get a 20mm Ortho and just Barlow it. Very nice eye relief,  but you will get the 10mm focal ratio length you require?

7 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

In all fairness to the Ortho around the 10mm focal length mark. I do not think the eyerelief is that bad , certainly  your eye ball is not welded to the lens.

Now if you were talking 4mm , 5mm,  6mm Ortho then I would probably agree they are a bit tight in the eye relief department?

Or get a 20mm Ortho and just Barlow it. Very nice eye relief,  but you will get the 10mm focal ratio length you require?

Alan would get a good 11mm by Barlowing his LVW22mm. 

You can reduce a fl but not increase it. 

Starting again, I would buy the Pentax zoom, sell 10XW & other short fl eps. Keep the 22, add/keep a 30. And a shorty 2x Barlow. 

So 8-24 zoom, LVW22 (wider FOV than zoom FL), 30mm 1.25. None light but all near each other in weight. 

3 hours ago, Alan White said:

If you want I'll swap you my 10.5XL, that'll save you 16g :happy7: But seriously, if I was trying to save weight and maintain the same image quality I think I would consider the Delites. I think that dropping down to 50° eyepieces would be too much. The other option would be to fiddle with the clutches, there must be a point at which there is enough friction to hold the scope but not enough to prevent smooth movement when you want it.

1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

If you want I'll swap you my 10.5XL, that'll save you 16g :happy7: But seriously, if I was trying to save weight and maintain the same image quality I think I would consider the Delites. I think that dropping down to 50° eyepieces would be too much. The other option would be to fiddle with the clutches, there must be a point at which there is enough friction to hold the scope but not enough to prevent smooth movement when you want it.

It's all down to Archimedean principle. A longer dove bar and more widely spread rings would distribute weight. Likewise a longer saddle, which gives better security and grip too. Is the scope on its own with just it's diagonal and no eps balancing?

A front balancing weight slung underneath the scope can help maintain balance very well even at the zenith. Would that help?

If not, then I would go for Delores. They have a great reputation and would certainly be better than Radians although a little heavier and more expensive.

Which mount are you using?

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

If not, then I would go for Delores. They have a great reputation and would certainly be better than Radians although a little heavier and more expensive.

Delores eyepieces Stu??? I’d copyright that name before Televue use it! ?

I would think for a while before selling a 10mm XW. For less weight and slightly better views (assuming pentax XW ~ Vixen SLV apart from the AFOV) I'd suggest the Nikon MC zoom 13-30x plus Zeiss barlow 2x. The zoom works in the range 21-9mm. You need to mod it to make the barrel 1.25" compatible. Not difficult. You can add a 40mm spacer to the barlow so that it becomes 2.6x. if you use the zoom with a 0.96"-to-1.25" adapter (6 pounds delivered from China via eBay), you get an additional 20mm spacer and a barlow operating at around 2.8-2.9x.

It's a tall combo when used with the spacers but it weighs around 250-300g. Zoom alone is about 100g. The barlow is also very light.

I use this with my TV60 and it is fine. At the moment I use a 24 Pan as low power wide field, but you could get a 32mm TV plossls and save some cash and weight possibly.

The barlow is expensive, but there is one available in the second hand. If interested, contact @Stu.

14 hours ago, jetstream said:

Do you have a pocket full of orthos? I bought a bunch of used Circle T's- they are nice and some exceptional. I was testing them against the Zeiss zoom and the Docter UWA- the best ones held up well. Of course the FOV is narrow. The Tak orthos eyecup is a great asset and are vg.

If I sold my other eyepieces the Lunt 20mm HDC would stay and so would the orthos.. Sorry to sway off course Alan.

Would you sell your ZZ and Docter?? ?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Yep, the "Delores" (Delite) sound ideal. I also found them to be very good. They are so comfortable to use. Your eye can be anywhere and you get a lovely view. 

Televue prices are rumoured to be going up this month (if you go new that is)

42 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

Yep, the "Delores" (Delite) sound ideal. I also found them to be very good. They are so comfortable to use. Your eye can be anywhere and you get a lovely view. 

Televue prices are rumoured to be going up this month (if you go new that is)

Thanks all for quoting my mistake so much that I can't be bothered to go and hide my tracks, even with Mod superpowers! ;);)

Delores? Where did that come from? Actually I can see it catching on for their next range :) 

Tee Hee :) 

Archived