SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Australian Lunar Disappointment

MarsG76

Super Blue Blood Moon??!: I was set up and ready to see and image the lunar eclipse even though it was completely cloud covered. I was hopeful and waited for a glimpse through a break in the clouds.

At 1 am, I wasn't even hoping for a photo any more, just a glimpse through the binoculars... by 1:30 I knew that there is no more hope.

What was I expecting from this garbage country? just like the people here, the climate is nothing but a disappointment.

The next lunar eclipse will be on the 27th of July 2018 but there is no hope of seeing it from here since it'll be about 6:30am, low in the western horizon at a time of the year that has nothing but cloud for weeks on end... Probably blocking the view of the close Mars opposition too... SURPRISE SURPRISE.

Sorry to read of your disappointment, when we look forward to a special occasion it often happens that in one way or another it doesn't live up to expectations., really frustrating.

BTW I was looking forward to some images from our friends in the southern hemisphere. 

I can understand your disappointment. Last partial solar eclipse here was clouded out for me, but four hours later the skies were beautifully clear. Missed the recent Geminids completely through cloud. Seems that whenever there is a major celestial event it coincides with cloud!

Your photography work shows that you do get some great sights there when there isn't cloud :)

14 hours ago, Astro Imp said:

Sorry to read of your disappointment, when we look forward to a special occasion it often happens that in one way or another it doesn't live up to expectations., really frustrating.

BTW I was looking forward to some images from our friends in the southern hemisphere. 

One night.. It clouded over on that one night!!!! After this was the only thing that kept me going almost forgetting what fake, selfish and disgusting immoral m0r0n5 I work with, I guess that the silver lining.. Hehe.

11 hours ago, Mognet said:

I can understand your disappointment. Last partial solar eclipse here was clouded out for me, but four hours later the skies were beautifully clear. Missed the recent Geminids completely through cloud. Seems that whenever there is a major celestial event it coincides with cloud!

Your photography work shows that you do get some great sights there when there isn't cloud :)

There is a small percentage of good nights, of course... But this is the 4th lunar eclipse that was stuffed by this countries garbage climate... In a row... Every day clear except yesterday and last night, and today, guess what? Blue skies!!! Up yours Australia...  Like I said, bring on global warming... A actual real one.... And let's dry this place out... To never see another cloud again would be bliss.... Yes, I'm still fuming.

15 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

How sad! It was a never an option to see it here in the UK but I can completely sympathise with that feeling of disappointment :( 

It's not sad as much as it is infuriating.

Try living in the West of Scotland, a clear (ish) night once every 3 weeks if I'm lucky,  but hey that's showbiz... I did see the super moon last night and again this morning, if the media had not been going on about it so much I probably would not have bothered .

8 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Every 3 weeks! I'm lucky if it's every 3 months. I have not had a single clear night (without Moon) since Christmas.

Peter

8 hours ago, Astroscot2 said:

Try living in the West of Scotland, a clear (ish) night once every 3 weeks if I'm lucky,  but hey that's showbiz... I did see the super moon last night and again this morning, if the media had not been going on about it so much I probably would not have bothered .

Yeah, sounds like you guys have the same rubbish climate we do... we might be a bit warmer, but that is worth nothing... I'd swap it all for freezing but permanently clear skies... OR permanently ridiculous hot but clear DRY atmosphere.

1 hour ago, VNA said:

Those clouds can be frustrating. Here in California a dozen miles away from the coast the spectacle was superbe. There is always a next time.

Frustrating, especially when it ALWAYS happens during events... next time? PFFFT....  

37 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Well, it must be difficult for you people down under, having to tether your telescope setups to stop them from falling off the ground. I always thought that Australia had lots of clear skies...or is that just the desert?

Tethering is not a problem, weighed up by heavy cloud cover :-D ... The clear skies is just in the outback... the coast is, 90% of the time, hazy or overcast.. and if it's not hazy or cloudy, some jackass lights a fire in a bush and there is nothing but orange haze in the atmosphere for a week... you see, the majority of people here aren't known for their intellect or morality....

For me to get super dark skies, I have to travel 3 hours toward the outback way, than I can get some views... mind you though, it's still not the dry outback, and the last two times I arrived, it started out beautiful but within about 90 minutes to 2 hours, haze rolled in, drenched everything in dew and it was time to pack up... for observing, this place is horrible.... imaging, well I guess there are more chances to image, but still there is a lot of work in processing to give the illusion of clear and transparent skies....

Honestly, the only reason I'm looking forward to retirement is to sell up and move 500km inland, away from these city folk and climate to match... NOT the getting OLD part....

I'm sorry you missed this. I've had the same with a couple of solar eclipses over the years that I was hoping to photograph so know how you feel.

It also ruins the theory that the most clear nights each month are around full moon, here in the UK at least.

Maybe being Aus its the opposite way round, like the Coriolis effect?

21 hours ago, ShrewView said:

Maybe being Aus its the opposite way round, like the Coriolis effect?

I used to think so too but now it seems very random.

February... black moon month... i.e. No full moon during the month... 

41 minutes ago, Tubby Bear said:

Sorry you missed out MarsG76

Take comfort in the fact that no matter how bad you perceive the weather to be Down Under,

its 3 , 4,  even 5 times as bad here in Little Britain.

We might be in the same celestial boat... at least Sydney latitude... Queensland might be somewhat better, better by the number of clear nights in a year I mean, good place to be if you don't might the cyclone season every year that destroys all weaker structures like some houses, sheds and definitely  home observatories... 

Not wanting to rub it in, but away from the coast in California will be clear, but the coast particularly in the summer is usually very very foggy, can be for several weeks at a time with no sunshine and very cool temps in San Francisco proper, but you drive through a tunnel or over a bridge and the weather will be clear--lots of micro climates. This winter has been warm with some ground fog and some rain, the opposite of last winter--the wettest on record. 

Was in England last year the weather was beautiful for most of our stay all the way up to Edinburgh ?

Archived