SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Takahashi 24, 30, 50mm eye pieces

25585, these focal lengths will result in large exit pupils in fast scopes. What focal ratio do you think about?

If you take 7mm as your maximum exit pupil, then you should not go above F/7.1 with the 50mm eyepiece...

I've not used the 50 or the 24, but the 30mm LE is a terrible eyepiece! The eye lens is situated quite some way down the barrel, which means the user has to force his eye into the eyepiece to get the full field. It is easily beaten, both in comfort and edge quality, by a much cheaper 28mm RKE. Or you could shop around for a second hand 30mm volcano top erfle or better still a 30mm or 35mm Ultima, Eudiascopic, Ultrascopic, Parks Gold or Antares Elite. 

9 hours ago, Louis D said:

Here's a CN thread on them from 2014.  They seem to get high praise including the 30mm and 50mm.  Tammy on CN considers the 30mm LE one of the best for binoviewing.

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

I've not used the 50 or the 24, but the 30mm LE is a terrible eyepiece! The eye lens is situated quite some way down the barrel, which means the user has to force his eye into the eyepiece to get the full field. It is easily beaten, both in comfort and edge quality, by a much cheaper 28mm RKE. Or you could shop around for a second hand 30mm volcano top erfle or better still a 30mm or 35mm Ultima, Eudiascopic, Ultrascopic, Parks Gold or Antares Elite. 

Just goes to show how everybody's eyes are different, and we all have our dislikes and likes in our opinions. Like Marmite i suppose☺

From what I have read on Tak LE they don't seem to have the same quality and high excellent opinion that there scopes have. The scopes seem to always come out with flying colours and excellent reviews, but the eyepieces D seem to get a very mixed bag of opinions .

Maybe it's time Tak came out with a set of eyepieces that are in the same league as the scopes?  

To be fair, some of the LE's are quite nice! The 18mm LE make a great bino pair and are very comfortable. Some of the shorter fl LE's suffer from internal reflections such as the 5mm & 7mm. But the Hi LE's are pretty sweet! I've not tried the Tak ortho's but I think I've read they are the same optics as the Fujiyama line, but at a greatly inflated price.

I have the LE30, LE7.5, LE5, HI-LE3.6, and HI-LE2.8.

I like the 5 and 7.5 for lunar views and cannot confirm the internal reflections. It seems like these internal reflections some people complain about are a thing of the past, and eliminated in the newer eyepieces. So be careful if you buy these used.

The LE30 is nice in my opinion, it is very little softer than the Takahashi Abbe 32 with a larger AFOV. It's colour tone is a touch warmer than the Abbe 32, but that can only be noticed in direct comparison. I think the LEs are O.K. for scopes up to F/5 (take care of the exit pupil).

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/01/2018 at 10:00, Timebandit said:

Just goes to show how everybody's eyes are different, and we all have our dislikes and likes in our opinions. Like Marmite i suppose☺

From what I have read on Tak LE they don't seem to have the same quality and high excellent opinion that there scopes have. The scopes seem to always come out with flying colours and excellent reviews, but the eyepieces D seem to get a very mixed bag of opinions .

Maybe it's time Tak came out with a set of eyepieces that are in the same league as the scopes?  

Well, I have owned and really liked the Tak Hi-LE 3.6, the LE 7.5, and the 18mm. I found them all to be excellent EPs, the 7.5mm matched a Pentax XW for sharpness, but of course didn't have the comfort of the XWs 20mm eye relief or 70 Deg fov. 

Dave

Archived