Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6-R owners club

mikey2000

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 13:42, geeklee said:

I have the AZ-EQ6 GT Pro mount (so not the same) but it made this noise as well.  While doing some routine checks of firmware, software etc, I noticed Skywatcher had a selection of updated versions for these two mounts with the built in USB port.  After updating to the latest (3.07) it no longer makes this noise, but alas the motors now sound a little different so that has me thinking on the flip side of "if it ain't broke...".

I wondered if the noise was the motors not slowing in a measured way and the gears catching quickly at the end, but pure speculation with no knowledge 😁 

The latest firmware is here - http://skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/

There's the firmware loader and the firmware itself - being careful to select the correct one for your mount (and whether it has the built in USB port).  I didn't find the loader particularly clear for two reaons (1) The PDF instructions are geared to Serial connection.  When using the USB, it's not obvious but unchecking the box about using the hand controllers PC direct mode resulted in a very fast transfer & update over USB - assuming you're using USB 🙂. and (2) the version numbers are odd matched.  First, click "MC Version" to confirm the program can talk to your controller and you'll see what I mean - you can then match them up to the release notes.  Mine came with "3.03" but querying the controller showed something like X.Y.3 (I think)

i believe you're able to load older firmware if you don't like the new one for any reason.

Hello everybody,

This is my first post to this forum. Since end of last year I am a proud owner of an EQ6-R Pro mount (version with internal USB port), and use it both visually and for astrophotography.

I came to this page but a websearch on an issue I have with the Motor Control Firmware. Recently I updated to the 3.07 version, and I notice that the telescope mount is much more noisy when slewing over large angles (e.g. from park position to an alignment star near the equator). As I live in a residential area, I really appreciated the quiteness of the mount as it came out of the box.

It is said it is easy to downgrade the motor controller firmware. I don't doubt that, for one little problem: I cannot find an older firmware version on the SkyWatcher website (!) I asked them about a week ago, but so far not yet a response.

Perhaps anyone can help me where to find an older motor controller firmware for the EQ6-R Pro with internal USB port?

Much appreciated in advance!

Regards,

Marco van der List

Rijsbergen (NL)

www.vanderlist.nl

13 hours ago, Marco van der List said:

It is said it is easy to downgrade the motor controller firmware. I don't doubt that, for one little problem: I cannot find an older firmware version on the SkyWatcher website (!) I asked them about a week ago, but so far not yet a response.

@Marco van der List From trial and error, the files are in the same area, you just need to enter the explicit link to them.  Right click on the download button for your motor firmware and choose "copy link address" (or equivalent in a different browser).  You'll get the explicit link to the current firmware; just adjust the file number to get an older version.  The older versions should be listed in the release notes for latest version.    

The above description is from this firmware and I retested by downloading 3.06, 3.05, 3.04 and 3.03.  As above, please be careful with firmware upgrades and always triple check your model number and description.

image.png.f7a58cb5ab23fab41386ec847f591806.png

11 hours ago, KevS said:

if you are using ASCOM/EQMOD it is possible to adjust the maximum slew rate and subsequently reduce the noise.

Good advice, thanks @KevS

12 hours ago, KevS said:

Good evening Marco and welcome to the club.

I had similar problems with the mount during fast slews, my neighbours sleep like logs but I felt guilty with the noise pollution.

I notice that you use the mount for AP as well as visual; subsequently if you are using ASCOM/EQMOD it is possible to adjust the maximum slew rate and subsequently reduce the noise. Dependent on the rate set it may increase the noise, but I consider it may be an harmonic of some description generated by the motors and the gears. But if you are utilising the above it's well worth a look at and experimenting.

K

With my previous EQ-5 I reduced the maximum slew rate in ASCOM/EQMOD as well. That mount was on the small size for a 200 Newton, so driving it at full speed yielded similar noise problems. 

Upon your recommendation I did a test this morning with a lower slew rate in ASCOM (540 instead of the maximum 800). Noise goes indeed considerably down, but the noise from the mount is notatbly different than from before. I also ran the mount at max and lower slow speeds without the scope and counterweights and that seems to have a small improvement (logical since there is less inertia to push around by the motors).

It seems to be a combination on how the stepper motors are driven in 3.07 and the resonances in the system (so may also be a bit dependent on the scope used). In the change log it is stated that since 3.04 the current at low speeds was reduced. This is obviously done to save the batteries in the field, but since I use the EQ6-R solely around the house, I use a wall outlet. So less relevant for me.

However, based on the suggestion above, I managed to download the older firmware driver from the SkyWatcher site:  https://inter-static.skywatcher.com/downloads/mc015_firmware_0303.zip (thanks for the suggestion, sometimes the solution is more simple than you think!)  

I have successfully installed the iss. 3.03 firmware, and the mount is now running back in its original super-silent mode! It was the low noise levels, which really impressed me during the unboxing process (and which I like to show off to fellow backyard astronomers in the area). For your info: on the SynScan I am running the most recent 4.39.10 firmware.

• Like 2

On 20/04/2020 at 20:19, knobby said:

Thanks Scott, still umming and ahhing between the lighter HEQ5 belt modded and the EQ6R really not sure but appreciate your answer.

Sorry chaps ... I went with the HEQ5, long term my shoulder isn't going to get any better so the lightweight won 😁

EQ6R is clearly an amazing mount for the money !

I'll miss you all 😁

3 hours ago, KevS said:

Good question, I would be interested if any one has any opinions, as when mine reaches the end of it's useful life I doubt if I will go down the "sky watcher route" again.

iOptron CEM25 with encoders can achieve <.3 RMS unguided for ~10kg but is a good £250 or so more than the EQ6-R. CEM40 can do ~20kg but no encoders and a bunch more expensive. Have to go to the CEM60EC to get something that's quite drastically better than the EQ6-R in my view (RA encoder so ~.3 RMS assuming no DEC motion, on paper, and 25kg payload). But £1k more.

EQ6-R is hard to beat at the price point.

• Like 2

1.  Silly question but...  should we get the firmware and how do I know which VERSION of firmware I currently have?  I have the EQ6-R and got it only 2 months ago.  I only use EQMOD; but of course have the controller.  I have NOT put any firmware etc on it.  IDEAS?  and thank you

2. POWER FAILED  anyone else?  I am having skywatcher send me a motor board to allow me to R and R it because this mount guide at 0-4 to 0.6 arc seconds~~~ it is AMAZING  ~~ I dont want to give it up....  any advice here?

Thank you

Dawn

• 5 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, KevS said:

Are you imaging or boggling? If imaging the usual recommendation is about 50%-60% ish of the all up load quoted for the mount. If boggling should be OK at limit. Having said that, quite often the rated load for a mount gets somewhat exaggerated in the marketing hyperbole. 

hmm that's disappointing maybe i should have investigated the mount a bit further before I purchased 

will probably go for the smaller OTA 10" not 12" as its quite a drop in weight 

As far as I can tell, 20Kg is the photography max payload, going by First Light Optics website (that’s where I bought mine..)

but the thought of perching 40kg for visual/observing use makes my head spin.  

2 hours ago, CedricTheBrave said:

The EQ6RPro has a weight limit of 20kg can this be pushed a little if the head unit is on a pier?

looking at a 19kg OTA!

or should I have gone bigger?

19kg OTA is fine on its own (though at the upper end of things). Pay careful attention to balance on all axes and consider the weight of your imaging kit - you'll easily add a few kilos for a camera, filter wheel, etc.

• Thanks 1

Hello all.

I have posted this on another thread but I realised here would be more appropiate.

I would like to know what other owners suggest regarding powering the EQ6R. I have this two options to connect the EQ6R to the mains of my shed.

[ A ]  Regulated power supply + 5m long 12v cable to the EQ6R

[ B Opt 1]  5m long lead extension from mains + Lynx 12v Power Supply + DC socket to Cigarette socket adapter + Cigarette 12v to EQ6R (comes with the mount)

[ B Opt 2 ]  5m long lead extension from mains + Power Supply with female Cigarette socket + Cigarette 12v to EQ6R (comes with the mount)

Option A seems safer, Option B is more convenient/versatile if my rig increases and also cheaper. 

Also,   does any 12v 5A power supply do the job? Is there anything I need to consider regarding fuse and fuse quality?

Thanks!

11 hours ago, rideway said:

I would like to know what other owners suggest regarding powering the EQ6R. I have this two options to connect the EQ6R to the mains of my shed.

I'd definitely go for the Nevada. Not only does it have two outputs and terminals - which makes securely attaching bare ends/crimp terminals easy if you want to attach a lot of accessories alongside the mount - it has a handy ammeter on the front. Not the most accurate but it's a great way to see quickly how much power your mount is pulling, which can be helpful. They have a chunkier unit if you need more than 5A.

• Like 1

On 08/06/2020 at 09:48, discardedastro said:

I'd definitely go for the Nevada. Not only does it have two outputs and terminals - which makes securely attaching bare ends/crimp terminals easy if you want to attach a lot of accessories alongside the mount - it has a handy ammeter on the front. Not the most accurate but it's a great way to see quickly how much power your mount is pulling, which can be helpful. They have a chunkier unit if you need more than 5A.

Thanks for the advice. Would you leave it outdoors? Was reading about some prople doing so but i am nit sure given its metallic case. Cheers

EDIT: After some reading and good advice from FLO, I went for a Nevada 6 to 8A power supply. I will buy a waterproof housing, leave the lid semiopen whilst in ooeration and connect everything to the shed plug with a RCD for extra safety. Thanks

Edited by rideway

17 hours ago, rideway said:

Thanks for the advice. Would you leave it outdoors? Was reading about some prople doing so but i am nit sure given its metallic case. Cheers

EDIT: After some reading and good advice from FLO, I went for a Nevada 6 to 8A power supply. I will buy a waterproof housing, leave the lid semiopen whilst in ooeration and connect everything to the shed plug with a RCD for extra safety. Thanks

Definitely need an RCD whatever you do outside.

I've not gotten a waterproof enclosure for anything yet - the mount and scope live outside, though, and this is definitely on my "want to do" list to make "walk up and observe" quicker and easier. Just make sure you run whatever 230V cable you run outside in a bright colour, ideally with protection like some flexible conduit, and away from where power tools might come into contact with it.

6 hours ago, discardedastro said:

Definitely need an RCD whatever you do outside.

I've not gotten a waterproof enclosure for anything yet - the mount and scope live outside, though, and this is definitely on my "want to do" list to make "walk up and observe" quicker and easier. Just make sure you run whatever 230V cable you run outside in a bright colour, ideally with protection like some flexible conduit, and away from where power tools might come into contact with it.

Indeed. Even though I dont plan to leave the electrical wires permanently outdoors, I do plan to install some hooks along the fence so i can easilly pass the extension lead cable to the waterproof box and avoid tripping over. 

On 07/06/2020 at 12:24, KevS said:

Are you imaging or boggling? If imaging the usual recommendation is about 50%-60% ish of the all up load quoted for the mount. If boggling should be OK at limit. Having said that, quite often the rated load for a mount gets somewhat exaggerated in the marketing hyperbole. 

Had a reply to my question about this from OVL the SKywatcher UK importers and they said 'the quoted payload is for imaging'

1 hour ago, CedricTheBrave said:

Had a reply to my question about this from OVL the SKywatcher UK importers and they said 'the quoted payload is for imaging'

So just to check, does that mean its rated for a 20kg OTA +counterweight on top of this or 20kg for the OTA and the counterweights together?

I dont want to interrupt this thread because im not really a eq6r owner.  At least not this spring.   But i do wonder, while the max load of these mounts is one the higher part of the image-scale, how you protect the mount from being fried?   I understand all sorts of protection is available but who does protect its mount agains overvoltage Or reversed polarity and shortcuts.   I wanted to place a buck converter between the powersupply an equipment.  Combined with some sort of fuse against overvoltage & amps.   Do you think it will work with a decent boost buck converter to keep the voltage steady?

16 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

I dont want to interrupt this thread because im not really a eq6r owner.  At least not this spring.   But i do wonder, while the max load of these mounts is one the higher part of the image-scale, how you protect the mount from being fried?   I understand all sorts of protection is available but who does protect its mount agains overvoltage Or reversed polarity and shortcuts.   I wanted to place a buck converter between the powersupply an equipment.  Combined with some sort of fuse against overvoltage & amps.   Do you think it will work with a decent boost buck converter to keep the voltage steady?

There's nothing internal on the board, IIRC - voltage regulator but that's all. The connector's keyed so polarity being correct is the responsibility of the cable.

With respect to overvoltage/overcurrent protection there's none needed. If you overload the mount weight-wise it's going to have issues regardless of what you do extrinsically.

If you're worried about having enough capacity in your supply to provide sufficient current (and thus keep the voltage steady etc) then you want capacitors, not a boost-buck converter, but I don't know of anyone who has done that. Capacitors bring their own issues. I'd stick to a good-quality power supply.