SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ6-R owners club

mikey2000

My first post on StarGazers!

I just purchased an EQ6-R Pro with the v5 SynScan & USB port on the mount.  I have a Meade LX70 mount, so am familiar with EQ mounts. But the EQ6-R is way beyond the capabilities of the LX70.   I'm reading the manuals for the mount and SynScan, but I also have an initial question about how I should learn to operate the EQ6-R.

Assuming I want to use a PC to control the mount, it looks like I can operate the EQ6-R either via PC-to-SynScan-to-mount,  or directly PC-to-mount.  As a newbie, would you recommend that I first learn to operate the EQ6-R with just the SynScan .... and then later bring the PC into the mix?  Or should I jump into the deep end & start using the PC immediately.

TY in advance for your thoughts & recommendations. 

JohnM

John,

Welcome on board!

Congratulations on your purchase.....

I have and use an HEQ5 and a NEQ6 mount. Both these mounts are controlled from a local laptop. Not 100% sure about the differences with the EQ6-R Pro and Synscan V5 (I'm still using V3)

If you are already comfortable using a PC and planetarium program then you could go for either ASCOM control or EQmod to control your mount.

You can connect the Synscan controller to the PC and set the mount type to Skywatcher EQ, this will give you PC control. You still need ASCOM installed and a planetarium program.

EQmod is an interface software, between a planetarium program and the mount. It needs the latest ASCOM drivers/ interface.

EQmod also prefers to "talk" direct to the mount, bypassing the Synscan hand controller. To do this you need a special cable between your PC and the mount - an EQDir cable.

I use Cartes du Ciel with my EQmod set-up. Works 100% for me.

Read up on the EQmod capabilities and satisfy yourself that it's what you want.....

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/introindex.html

https://ascom-standards.org/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/skychart/

TY Merlin for the advice.

From what I gather, the "v5" version of the EQ6-R Pro allows a direct connect (assuming the proper drivers have been installed) b/w a PC & the mount, bypassing the SynScan handheld completely.  What I've also read is that I have to be careful not to "fry" the mount's motherboard with that direct link (bypassing the SynScan).

I consider myself somewhat technologically competent, so I won't make that link until I'm certain beforehand that its the correct thing to do.

I turned the "big LXX" this year, and since my youth have always been one to look up instead of down.  These are exciting times for me, particularly getting into the realm of AP.

Cheers!

The Synscan manual for V5 states the added hand controller USB port is to allow direct connection to the PC USB port. Sounds like a reasonable update from the ol' serial connection.

(Page 20)

https://www.telescope.com/assets/product_files/instructions/IN_620_Rev_C_SynScan_Hand_Controller.pdf

(The special EQ DIr cable used by the direct mount connected EQMod gives the correct signal to the mount and won't fry the mother board)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I just bought a brand new SW EQ6R-Pro mount for my SW Esprit 100ED. Today, I powered for the first time after installing the scope and other accessories.  I controlled the mount using EQMOD and slewed to different positions without inconvenient. However, one thing I noticed was a “weird” noise (both DEC and RA axes) at the end of each slew (see video attached).  Do you consider this normal? Should I be concern/worry?

The mount was well balanced in both DEC and RA and the power supply voltage was 13.8 VDC.

Thanks and clear skies,

Diego (Calgary, Canada)

2 hours ago, AZAFATO said:

Hello All,

I just bought a brand new SW EQ6R-Pro mount for my SW Esprit 100ED. Today, I powered for the first time after installing the scope and other accessories.  I controlled the mount using EQMOD and slewed to different positions without inconvenient. However, one thing I noticed was a “weird” noise (both DEC and RA axes) at the end of each slew (see video attached).  Do you consider this normal? Should I be concern/worry?

The mount was well balanced in both DEC and RA and the power supply voltage was 13.8 VDC.

Thanks and clear skies,

Diego (Calgary, Canada)

IMG_6747[1].MOV

Mine does the same....

I sent an email to my retailer whom said it was perfectly normal for that mount, I continued to use it and it doesn't seem to have any ill effects.  I was just concerned because my HEQ5 never did that.

Rob

5 hours ago, Robny said:

Mine does the same....

I sent an email to my retailer whom said it was perfectly normal for that mount, I continued to use it and it doesn't seem to have any ill effects.  I was just concerned because my HEQ5 never did that.

Rob

I have the AZ-EQ6 GT Pro mount (so not the same) but it made this noise as well.  While doing some routine checks of firmware, software etc, I noticed Skywatcher had a selection of updated versions for these two mounts with the built in USB port.  After updating to the latest (3.07) it no longer makes this noise, but alas the motors now sound a little different so that has me thinking on the flip side of "if it ain't broke...".

I wondered if the noise was the motors not slowing in a measured way and the gears catching quickly at the end, but pure speculation with no knowledge 😁 

The latest firmware is here - http://skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/

There's the firmware loader and the firmware itself - being careful to select the correct one for your mount (and whether it has the built in USB port).  I didn't find the loader particularly clear for two reaons (1) The PDF instructions are geared to Serial connection.  When using the USB, it's not obvious but unchecking the box about using the hand controllers PC direct mode resulted in a very fast transfer & update over USB - assuming you're using USB 🙂. and (2) the version numbers are odd matched.  First, click "MC Version" to confirm the program can talk to your controller and you'll see what I mean - you can then match them up to the release notes.  Mine came with "3.03" but querying the controller showed something like X.Y.3 (I think)

i believe you're able to load older firmware if you don't like the new one for any reason.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, geeklee said:

I have the AZ-EQ6 GT Pro mount (so not the same) but it made this noise as well.  While doing some routine checks of firmware, software etc, I noticed Skywatcher had a selection of updated versions for these two mounts with the built in USB port.  After updating to the latest (3.07) it no longer makes this noise, but alas the motors now sound a little different so that has me thinking on the flip side of "if it ain't broke...".

I wondered if the noise was the motors not slowing in a measured way and the gears catching quickly at the end, but pure speculation with no knowledge 😁 

The latest firmware is here - http://skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/

There's the firmware loader and the firmware itself - being careful to select the correct one for your mount (and whether it has the built in USB port).  I didn't find the loader particularly clear for two reaons (1) The PDF instructions are geared to Serial connection.  When using the USB, it's not obvious but unchecking the box about using the hand controllers PC direct mode resulted in a very fast transfer & update over USB - assuming you're using USB 🙂. and (2) the version numbers are odd matched.  First, click "MC Version" to confirm the program can talk to your controller and you'll see what I mean - you can then match them up to the release notes.  Mine came with "3.03" but querying the controller showed something like X.Y.3 (I think)

i believe you're able to load older firmware if you don't like the new one for any reason.

Thanks for that....will have a look

I was told it was motor engagement because mine does it at the start and the end.  Thought it was odd because the EQ6r has belt drive.  Update the firmware, be interested to see if it goes away like yours.

They may have slowed the initial startup and slow down of the motors.

Thanks for this!!!

• Like 2

Thank you Robny and Geeklee for your comments! Appreciated!

I also sent a message to Sky Watcher about this issue and this is what they replied: Your mount sounds fine. We use stepper motors and as they slow down they can make that sound.

Thanks and clear skies,

Diego

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KevS said:

Anybody out there finding polar alignment "drifting" over an evenings multi target session? A few nights ago after setting up a new rig 1st target was M81, just did a rough polar align and did a 2.5 hour set of exposures (PA according to PHD was 30.5") Moved to M97 in the same area of sky and managed an hour before I got clouded out (PA was 20.5" on second exposure) Any Ideas?

K

Not sure it drifts that much but I definitely have to re-do polar alignment on at least a per-week basis. I suspect this is more about the gardener bumping into the tripod than anything else, though, but it could be the mechanics aren't that great in terms of stability. The coarse threads probably do permit a bit of slippage.

Hello again EQ6-R users,

I will be using my new SW EQ6-R Pro mount with a SW Esprit 100ED for astrophotography using a Canon 600D as a main camera (in the near future with an ASI1600MM-Pro.) and a QHY5III-178M as a guiding camera on a 60mm F/3.6 guidescope (see picture attached)

For now. I would appreciate if you guys could share with me typical setting used in EQMOD (ASCOM options, ASCOM Pulse guiding, etc) and/or PHD2 (MnMo, guiding algorithms, etc) so I can use them as starting point. Guiding will be done via ASCOM (Not ST-4). Capture software SGP.

Thanks in advance & clear skies,

Diego

IMG_6748[1].JPG

Hi,

i use PHD2 via Ascom and basically i leave the setting quite standard, if anything i just fiddle with the Dec and RA aggressiveness settings and Hys setting to smooth out guide commands.

Surely you know to adjust the focal length  of the guidescope and guidecamera pixel size in the settings, i'm no expert and  others can correct me but you should be OK.

Must say i was surprised to see 3 weights on your mount, i have the Esprit 120 on mine (minus the guider) and i have perfect balance with 2 weights but mine are at the end of the bar.

Total weight is 13,3 Kg (29,32lbs)

Whats the Mach 1 mount for ? 😁

The balance in DEC is so tight that when i put the dust cap on the Esprit it drops down.

04B21C5A-CAA3-41F3-8BDB-3D44E09C635D.thumb.jpeg.d5ddbed19907c7e7e9f1797d4fed7df3.jpeg

B7855318-E12C-407C-888E-53D1C5CBD999.thumb.jpeg.af09ca7cc3850678e713fb54852f438d.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AZAFATO said:

Hello again EQ6-R users,

I will be using my new SW EQ6-R Pro mount with a SW Esprit 100ED for astrophotography using a Canon 600D as a main camera (in the near future with an ASI1600MM-Pro.) and a QHY5III-178M as a guiding camera on a 60mm F/3.6 guidescope (see picture attached)

For now. I would appreciate if you guys could share with me typical setting used in EQMOD (ASCOM options, ASCOM Pulse guiding, etc) and/or PHD2 (MnMo, guiding algorithms, etc) so I can use them as starting point. Guiding will be done via ASCOM (Not ST-4). Capture software SGP.

Thanks in advance & clear skies,

Diego

IMG_6748[1].JPG

Make sure the pulse guide rate is 0.5 or above in your EQMOD settings.  It often defaults to 0.1, which is not high enough and will cause issues when PHD2 attempts to calibrate due to lack of star movement.

8 hours ago, Miguel1983 said:

"Must say i was surprised to see 3 weights on your mount, i have the Esprit 120 on mine (minus the guider) and i have perfect balance with 2 weights but mine are at the end of the bar."

To minimize the load on the mount drive motors and maximize your guiding performance, it is best to use a higher amount of counterweight at the top of the shaft, rather than a lower amount at the bottom.  The reason for this is that while he righting moment (the force that balances the scope) goes up linearly with distance from the point of rotation,  the polar/rotational moment of inertia goes up by the square of the distance.  It is the polar moment that the mount must overcome when making guiding adjustments, so a lower moment reduces the load on the motor, and allows for quicker more accurate guiding adjustments.

spacer.png

My C11 imaging rig is at the high end of the weight capacity of the EQ6-R, so I use the maximum amount of weight I can at the top of the shaft, and a small weight further down for fine adjustments.  My guide error with typical seeing in this configuration is around 0.65 arsec RMS, and 0.4-0.5 under good seeing.

C11-EQ6R.jpg

9 hours ago, Miguel1983 said:

Hi,

i use PHD2 via Ascom and basically i leave the setting quite standard, if anything i just fiddle with the Dec and RA aggressiveness settings and Hys setting to smooth out guide commands.

Surely you know to adjust the focal length  of the guidescope and guidecamera pixel size in the settings, i'm no expert and  others can correct me but you should be OK.

Must say i was surprised to see 3 weights on your mount, i have the Esprit 120 on mine (minus the guider) and i have perfect balance with 2 weights but mine are at the end of the bar.

Total weight is 13,3 Kg (29,32lbs)

Whats the Mach 1 mount for ? 😁

The balance in DEC is so tight that when i put the dust cap on the Esprit it drops down.

04B21C5A-CAA3-41F3-8BDB-3D44E09C635D.thumb.jpeg.d5ddbed19907c7e7e9f1797d4fed7df3.jpeg

B7855318-E12C-407C-888E-53D1C5CBD999.thumb.jpeg.af09ca7cc3850678e713fb54852f438d.jpeg

Thanks Miguel for your comments! I am familiar with PHD2 configuration and with my AP Mach1, but not so much with the EQ6R-Pro via EQMOD. That's why I am looking for some advises from more experience users like you. 

Regarding the counterweights, I knew that 2 wouldn't be sufficient based on my experience with the AP Mach1. You can see in my picture all the counterweights I was using to balance the SW Esprit 100ED. When I took the picture, those counterweights were still in the position to balance the Esprit. My scope is lighter than your Esprit 120ED however, it is loaded and it's also tall. I was thinking in adding one more counterweight however, I will see how my guiding is based on this configuration.

The AP Mach1 mount is for my 9.25 Edge HD (Imaging at F10 or F7). I still don't have a permanent setup and normally I have to go out of the city to get descents skies. My goal is then to take both scopes and collect all the data I can.

By the way, nice rig you have there!

Clear skies, Diego

i'm no expert neither, i just got the latest version of EQMOD/Ascom , and the latest ascom drivers for al my gear (focuser, EFW, mount,...) and it basically al talks with each other through ASCOM.

Again, there ar folks here who now this way beter than me

Good luck !

Hi everyone, 

talking about counterweight: I noticed that my counterweight are slipping down most of 

times, no matter how much I tighten it. Any tricks or tips?

Best regards,

Edited by OJ87