Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Covering a scope at the end of a session

I think I might have found my ideal setup; it could be weeks before I start buying and selling again, and it partly involves leaving my mount permanently outside in the garden using a Telegizmo 365 cover. I've no qualms about doing that even from a security perspective as I've never disclosed my address, but have always used that of my next-door neighbour at number 75 Scotland Road. 

The easier it is at the end of a session, the more I'll use the scopes, so I'd like to leave them out too. Because of their length, they'd both have to be stored vertically. If they had to be stored mirror/objective pointing up, and they had dew on (particularly with the refractor), would that necessarily matter as long as it dried off naturally later, or are they best left pointing down...or bringing in?

I can't quite work out why it might damage anything, but it just make me slightly uncomfortable. 

Agreed that anything that simplfies observing makes it more likely that we’ll actually get out there and do it.

I’d have thought that all optical surfaces are best stored dry, or allowed to thoroughly dry before storage. If it was allowed to dry off later, how long before that happened ?   Of course observatory equipment is permanently kept “outside” but protected by the observatory, more likely to keep dry than under a cover. A club friend of mine who has an observatory places a large bag of silica gel next to the scope. He regularly brings the silica gel indoors to dry it out, because dampness and telescopes are not a good idea.

HTH, Ed.

I keep mount, stool and table out under a cover. Telescope and eyepieces stay in the garage. Sometimes if I've had a particularly long or dewy night, I'll leave the scope indoors with the dustcap off and a towel in its place (to stop dust getting in), then move it back to the garage in the morning. I agree that a scope stored indoors is often too much hassle to get out, but don't put an expensive scope at risk.

Thanks all - the Telegizmo covers really are weatherproof, but I am less concerned about keeping the Newtonian out as I can point it down, it's far cheaper and probably won't have accumulated dew during an evening anyway....but maybe just the mount then. Now I've got an extension pillar on it, my Skytee2 attached to a Berlebach tripod is a bit of a beast!

Yes agree with the above, I personally would bring the scopes in, at least periodically.  Under the covers, even the Telegizmo ones, you can develop quite a bit of condensation unless you have desiccant or heater of some sort.  This condensation can be very bad for the optics, and in severe cases can promote mould to grow, so to be avoided.

I have an obsy but still have a dehumidifier in there to dry things off after use as any standing water isn't ideal.

I leave all my kit out under a Telegizmos 365 cover, but as Ray mentioned I have an electric pet bed to keep everything "warm". I also spray occasionally with a silicone water-repellent oil.

Because of the nature of my set-up it would be a serious job to dismantle and re-assemble every time I wanted to image.

The only item that isn't kept inside the house is my rubber ground mat and that is dried, aired indoors before being stored back in the shed. I would never consider leaving telescopes outdoors under a cover in our perpetually dank climate, at the very least the mirror coatings will suffer.

I only ever leave my telescope out under a cover for a few days max if it looks like I might get the opportunity to ue it over that time. If the weather is dry during the day I usually remove the  cover to let the telescope 'air'. I also turn the cover inside out to let moisture evaporate. 

Archived