Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

Shibby

The Sunflower Galaxy - first light, new obsy

I can't quite believe this but, having checked, the last image I posted was in 2014!! Anyway, I spent most of 2017 building my observatory (thread here) having moved house, so finally I have been able to start using it.

This is also my first LRGB image, so combining that inexperience with at least 3 years of cobwebs made this a bit of a struggle to process. I haven't done anything special - just curves and a star mask in Photoshop. Any C&C welcome.

No tidal streams here - I thought about trying to go a bit deeper, but decided to hold back on the ambition since it's been a while :) Maybe I'll return to it later in the season once the moon has gone away. It could also do with some more RGB data.

M63

L: 27x600s
RGB: 3x600s each
Atik 460ex
MN190

Thanks for looking!

Sunflower.thumb.jpg.8ed0973e85d52ccf850ec68ff697ff4b.jpg

• Like 36

Very nice - I like the FOV as well, always like to see a galaxy in context of the stars around it like that.

• Thanks 1

Well that's quite a return after nearly 4 years off! Maybe it could handle a tiny sharpen on the core of the galaxy, but I'm splitting hairs here! Splendid!

Edited by johnrt
  • Thanks 1

Very nice Lewis, especially with only 1800s each in RGB.  

Also had a look at the updated obsy thread and really impressed.  You've done a great job and must be well pleased.  

Enjoy your new home and keep up posting images like this.

• Thanks 1

Lovely Image! You new observatory looks great also, no jealousy from me at all...........

Look forward to your images in the future :) 

• Thanks 1

That's great. Very natural and hugely attractive.

I rather regret my obsession with the tidal streams because they tend to derange the rest of the target!

Olly

• Thanks 1

This is a great return image! The colours are subtle and natural - There's really nothing to not like about this image :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RayD said:

Enjoy your new home and keep up posting images like this.

Thank you - I will try. It's certainly easier to set up and (perhaps more importantly) pack up when tired! I'm not put off by a patchy forecast any more :)

36 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

That's great. Very natural and hugely attractive.

I rather regret my obsession with the tidal streams because they tend to derange the rest of the target!

Thank you. I have noticed that, although very spectacular, sometimes the shape of the galaxy can become a little lost in it all. I will try for them in the future though!

18 minutes ago, swag72 said:

This is a great return image! The colours are subtle and natural - There's really nothing to not like about this image

Much appreciated - thank you!

You really made that galaxy shine! Very nice comeback indeed!

• Thanks 1

Very good M63 given the scarce RGB data and your cobwebs, heck it's a very good M63 given any conditions!

Welcome back!

• Thanks 1

Beautiful. So much detail it looks like you could fall into it.

• Thanks 1

very nice indeed as has bean said whats not to like :thumbright:

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much all! I think I'll resist posting a closer crop until I'm happier with the colour data (i.e. have gathered more).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By CKemu
      TECHNICAL: R 20x480s | G 20x480s | B 20x480s | Artificial Flat Frame | ATIK414ex, Baader RGB filters, ASI120mm guiding though PHD2 | Meade LX90 8" SCT reduced to f/6.3
      Recently moved to a small beach/hamlet near Looe in Cornwall, and despite a street lamp being 15m away from my imaging spot, the skies here are significantly dark than any where else I have lived, so thought I'd try them out with a galaxy broadband image. Needless to say, I am looking forward to more clear nights!

I tried making flat frames via the dusk light method, and no matter how little or much exposure I gave the image, DSS made the edges glow and the image extra noisy, not sure what I am doing wrong, so used the artificial flat frame method, which works well enough, just a bit more time consuming.

I haven't imaged galaxies regularly, indeed, this is my fourth attempt at such an object and I need more practice, I got more data, indeed got 30xchannel in the end, but somehow couldn't get back to this colour balance and detail, so kept the smaller data set version.

Anyhow, thanks for looking, really do love galaxies!
    • By alan4908
      An LRGB image of the Sunflower galaxy. The image was taken with my SW Esprit 150 and SX Trius 814 camera and represents just over 10 hours integration time.
      I gave the very bright stars near the galaxy a very modest stretch and then blended this result with the result of the more highly stretched galaxy image. This approach generated some star colour and also reduced their distraction effect, in addition, it also allowed some faint nebulosity that surrounds the galaxy to be displayed.
      The image was processed with my normal workflow which uses three software packages:
      CCDstack: calibration, stacking & error rejection, Lum deconvolution and DDP stretch, RGB combination Photoshop: mask generation(s), High Pass Filter, colour enhancements, noise reduction Pixinsight: gradient reduction (DBE), Photometric colour calibration, green reduction (SCNR), noise reduction (TGVDenoise), sharpening (MLT). The image was previously posted in the Deep Sky imaging section.
      Alan

LIGHTS: L:11, R:19, G:15. B:17 x 600s, DARKS:30, FLATS:40, BIAS:100 all at -20C.

• By alan4908
      First go with my Esprit 150 at M63. I particular like the galaxy colours and I was pleased to capture some of the surrounding nebulosity. The image is an LRGB and represents about 10 hours integration time.  A corresponding image within my Deep Sky II album was taken with my ED 80.
      LIGHTS: L:11, R:19, G:15. B:17 x 600s, DARKS:30, FLATS:40, BIAS:100 all at -20C.
    • By alan4908
      My first go with my Esprit 150 at the Sunflower galaxy.  The image is an LRGB composition and represents just over 10 hours integration time. 
      Post processing followed by normal workflow with the exception that I found that the very bright stars required special attention to keep them under control. 
      Alan 

• By The-MathMog
      I'd been struggling with gettings subs longer than 60 seconds unguided, as I had to throw away over half of them. I suspected that it was due to periodic errors with the gears or similar with my Celestron AVX. I am using a 2.25 barlow, so my 130slt OTA was very prone to small errors. I looked into doing PEC training, and performed that on this night, and oh holy grail if that didn't produce miracles! I had only done two trainings and averaged them, and I then went from doing 60 second subs, and throwing half of them away, into doing 180 seconds unguided subs without hardly throwing any of them away! This really made me grin like a maniac that night, as it was just like flicking a switch and everything worked perfectly!
      So I immediately went to shoot a new target, which became M63. I had looked for galaxies to photograph and this one looked very appealing to me, from the images I found. I ended up gathering a total of 42 subs (+ the ones I ended up throwing away due to satellites, focus slip, dew on secondary etc), and 25 subs! There is still a lot of aspects I can improve on, but the simple fact that my capabilities took such a leap on one single night, simply amazed me, and definitely made up for the weeks on end that it has been cloudy/too windy! My polar alignment was very good that night, so I could probably have pushed it more, but I thought I should rather stay safe, and learn gradually.
      Processing is also something that still needs quite a bit of practise. I did like 5-6 versions of this one, and this is the one I liked the best of them.

42 Subs
      180s Exposure
      2 Hours 6 Minutes light data
      25 Darks
      Iso 6400
      Celestron SLT 130 OTA + Celestron AVX Mount
      Baader 2.25x Barlow
      Nikon D5200
      Nikon Backyard, Stellarium, Photoshop CS2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.