Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

Jupiter & Mars conjunction - 7th Jan 2018

I haven't checked, but I am sure there are plenty of these around. I thought I would enter my daylight version as it is a little different. I followed the conjunction until it was lost in the glare and behind buildings, all in all a wonderful morning.

Handheld at the eyepiece as normal for me using an iPhone 6 Plus. This is the last one I took that still showed all four moons despite it being 7.41am and relatively bright.

Normal kit:

Scope: Tak FC100DC (this is getting expensive...)

Eyepiece: Need to check this! Will update when I have. Probably 12.5mm BGO at x59.

Mount: AZGTi on Gitzo tripod

Taken using Procam 4 and cropped and processed using PS Express, all on the phone.

IMG_5919.JPG

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stephen L
      Both taken on the same morning from my hotel balcony in Fuerteventura April 2019. Using a star adventurer a Skywatcher 127 Mak, 2x barlow and 4k video on an EOS M50
    • By Cosmic Geoff
      First good results with newly purchased ASI224MC camera.  Using: CPC800, ASI224MC (USB3), ZWO IR cut filter, ZWO ADC.
      Conditions: planets low (15 deg or lower), near full moon, some haze.  Time : around 04.40 BST.
      A few hours earlier I tried Mars but the results were poor asides for demonstrating the higher frame rate available with the new camera.
      In case you are wondering (as I was) what the difference is between an ASI224MC and an ASI120MC,  the former does not appear to be any more sensitive so far as I could see (exposures no shorter) but the potential frame rate even with USB2 is higher.  And the ASI224 has a deeper body for some reason.  And this set of Saturn images is clearly my best ever.

• By Kronos831
      Hey guys. Thought about  starting this thread. I feel like we all should inform eachother and newer members alike about the magngifications that can be achieved on planets,that provide the best sharpness/size ratio,depending on the scope and seeing. After this thread has grown a bit, i feel like this should be pinned,as to provide a little guide to newer members that are not experienced with planetary observing,as many will be fooled with the typical 50x per inch of aperture and get disappointed when they find that that image will be dim and blurry.
      For my 8” F/6 Sky-Watcher Dob
      For Saturn i like to use 150x in medium seeing and if i want something a bit bigger , switch to 240x ,which will give me a bigger,but blurrier image.iBut In good seeing, i found that 240x was very usable.When we have perfect conditions, i m certainly trying 300x.
      Mars, isnt very big in the sky right now,so even at high magnifications like 300x it still appears as a small orange dot. For observing mars,I suggest waiting for it to reach opposition.It benifits hugely from it! However,this happens once every 2 years....But 5ere are other planets to keep you occupied until then, such as jupiter,saturn and   Venus.
      For Venus, i use 50-100-120 depending on its phase.
      For  Jupiter, i like to use 150x, as it provides a very sharp image,with key features of the planet such as bands being very detailed.Waiting on my 6mm UWA Skywatcher to bring it to 200 and see how that plays out. Be careful! Don’t magnify jupiter too much, as it will loose much of its features and sharpness.
      Neptune and Uranus: These two will not impress, but are certainly have a nice colour to them. Even ar high magnifications, such as 300x and 400x, they will look like small discs with color in them.Uranus will look be colored green and Neptune a fainter blue.
      Mercury About mercury...Havent gotten the chance to observe it ,so the guys will have to inform you about that?
      Feel free to give your own opinions as to give members a wider source of information to help them observe better ! 
      Cheers and clear skies.
      Kronos

• By Cosmic Geoff
      Finally got decent images of Jupiter with my CPC800. I was beginning to worry that I had invested in a setup that was inferior to my C8 SE.?  The CPC800 mount is far nicer to use; it's much easier to get the image on chip and keep it there. And the GPS saves  some time and effort.
      CPC800, ASI120MC, ZWO ADC, captured with Sharpcap, processed in Registax6.
      Note the Io moon & shadow, a circle near the middle of the southern cloud belt, and on the second image looks like the GRS just coming into view.  Also got an image of Saturn - I have always found it hard to get a decent sharp image of Saturn (lower frame rate?) 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.