Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep8_banner.thumb.jpg.7fc4114c7705b14c0786cf342cea1f9c.jpg

DaveS

Rosette in NHO

Been working on this again, still with old data. Loads of gradients that I can't seem to get rid of. I dumped a lot of [NII] subs that had rubbish stars, elongated and trailed.

TS 80mm f/4.4 six-element astrograph, 3nm Astrodons, ASI1600. I think I ran 5 min subs at max DR. Captured in Maxim DL processed in AstroArt5. Sigma Add stack, multiple gradient removals, ans several Histogram Stretch iterations.

Need more data. I have 2 hours of decent HII, but I want to add new [NII] and [OIII].

5a6e2a8ef3d61_NHOShortN.thumb.jpg.8f756e58d6d031bc66ea5f38a366e0b4.jpg

C&C welcome, and suggestions for further work. The JPEG looks nothing like the FITS I was working on, or how it looks on my monitor from Windows Photo Viewer. Pah!

• Like 8

Nice detail.... I'm glad to be seeing imaged captured by the ASI1600 since I'm in the market for one.... good work.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Yes, the 3D effect jumped out at me as I was processing the RGB stack.

The original subs have a much wider FoV, unfortunately they are offset at an angle to each other needing a heavy crop. Hopefully the new data I capture (When I can) will be better aligned.

I still need to get rig of some annoying gradients resulting in an uneven background that multiple gradient removal algorithms failed to cure. Cleaner data should help.

I'd be really interested in seeing the single NB channels side by side..... what does the NII look like compared to Ha and OIII for example?

Hi Sara

The [NII] is almost as strong as the HII with the [OIII] very weak and noisy by comparison. I'm at work ATM (Naughty!) so I'll see what I can do tonight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Hi Sara

The [NII] is almost as strong as the HII with the [OIII] very weak and noisy by comparison. I'm at work ATM (Naughty!) so I'll see what I can do tonight.

Thanks! I'd be interested to see not the different strength in the data, but the actual changes in where the data is.....SII is quite interesting on this one.

OK

I'll put up the individual stacks, though to get them on here I may have to post JPEGS. I have a Dropbox account (Which I've hardly used) so I'll try to dropbox the original FITS files.

I'm not worried about the raw data .... Just a quick stretch jpeg to show the difference would be interesting :) 

OK, for Sara @swag72

Firstly, the HII

5a6f70de53d34_HIIstretchforSara.thumb.jpg.8e72df3e0d9c88fb2d603421f28af27c.jpg

Next the [NII]

5a6f70e529f6a_NIIstretchforSara.thumb.jpg.2dbdfa66327960d372f7631cbb04f18f.jpg

Lastly the [OIII]

5a6f70d8533e4_OIIIstretchforSara.thumb.jpg.f767442b4eb26d999ca79924547425f9.jpg

As I intimated, the [OIII] is horribly noisy and all suffer from gradients, the [OIII] worst of all, probably due to imaging in less than brilliant conditions. All are from 5 min subs using the Max DR setting in the ZWO driver.

I will have to recapture good data and dump these dodgy files when I do. I'll probably keep some of the HII data captured most recently.

• Like 2

Many many thanks for this Dave - Most interesting........ :) 

• Like 1

Very interesting more data in the N11 image.

Carole 

• Like 1

You're both very welcome :wink:.

When I first looked at the [NII] data I thought I'd made a mistake and used the HII filter, they're so similar. I think that similarity is what gives the 3D effect.

Added more data to the stacks, and dumped some dodgy [OIII] that was very noisy. I also did a lot of pre-processing before stacking. Each set of data was individually stacked and gradient reduced before each group of hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen data was individually aligned and combined, to give the three components. These were then aligned with each other before each was given a preparatory sequence of histogram stretches. After combining in the NHO palette there was a lot of cropping needed, to get rid of the horribly skewed alignment borders. Another gradient reduction was applied before many small iterations of histogram stretch, with and without curves to give the final result.

5a835f67a6154_AllDatapreprocessed.thumb.jpg.654c03ac1bb81155cd4ac7e03588cdde.jpg

Not entirely sure it was worth the effort, as I think my first version was better.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By etunar
      I have been doing this for many years using  a star adventurer with a canon 6d  and different lenses upto 200mm from dark sky locations.
      I wanted to get proper scope and EQ mount for a while but I didn’t think it was worth it shooting from the cloudy UK and I didn’t realise bortle 5 skies were good enough for it. After realising I was wrong I bought a HEQ5 and WO zs61. (I wanted a relatively small scope to begin with). 

next thing I want to get is a dedicated astro camera. And of course going mono makes the most sense. Coming from a landscape photography world, bigger sensor is always better. However this is where I get lost a bit. According to the ccd calculator on astronomy tools website asi183mm pro is the best match for my scope (1.38 arc sec / pixel). Next option would be asi1600mm pro with a resolution of 2.18arc sec / pixel. However I’m slightly worried about this microlensing/reflection issue. Using a relatively wide scope, I may not be able to avoid bright stars all the time. And I know it would bug me if it happened.
      i know zwo released new cameras recently but asi6200 is way out of my budget. 

I can probably justify the cost of asi2600 (also 2.15 arc sec/pixel) . I know it’s an OSC and not mono, but the specs seem promising and I know few people mentioned the possibility of using this with narrowband filters. It’s still a relatively new camera so not a whole lot of information on it unfortunately but everyone who had one seems to like it. It would be interesting to compare this setup with a asi1600 for example. 

- So is the asi183 really the best choice? Or slight under sampling is not an issue?
      - asi1600 vs asi2600? 

- I assume it’s still a big jump to go from a full frame dslr to a set point cooled OSC with a smaller sensor? 
    • By alexbb
      I've been less active lately in this hobby, but I've a few images done, others waiting in the pipeline to be processed.
      This is a "crowded" area of our Milky Way galaxy, visible all summer from the northern hemisphere. The Cygnus constellation is home of many named and nameless nebulae.
      Starting from the left (North), below the brightest star, Deneb, the Pelican and the North America Nebulae are very popular; going to right, just below the brightest star close to the center of the image, Sadr, lies the Gamma Cygni Nebula. A bit towards the top-right there's the Crescent Nebula and going forward top-right, there's the Tulip Nebula. Finally, at the bottom-right corner, the Veil Nebula, a super nova remnant.
      All these are surrounded by shiny gaseous filaments or dusty patches blocking the light.
      I started this during the pandemic lockdown. All of the data was captured from my hometown from a balcony brightly lit by a sodium street lamp, but the narrowband filters did their job well, blocking successfully the sodium emission.
      A total of 23 hours is made of 2x3 panels composed in a larger mosaic, each panel consisting in about 1h of exposure for the red Hydrogen and 3h of exposure for the cyan Oxigen, all through a Sigma 105 macro stopped at F/4, ASI1600MMC with 6nm Astronomik filters.
      I'm planning to shoot RGB data too and make an RGB/HOO composition.
      Cheers and clear skies!

astrobin link: https://www.astrobin.com/r22yre/
      flickr link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/170274755@N05/49939128338/

• By Lee_P
      *£1300 including recorded delivery to the UK; or £1250 if you can collect from central Bristol.*
      Hi all, I’m looking to sell my ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool plus accessories as a bundle. I’ve had a great time with this camera, but now have a baby daughter that is leaving me zero time for astro imaging! So I’m parking the hobby for a few years… but I’ll be back!
      A lot’s been written about how good this camera is so I won’t reiterate all that, except to say that I’ve had a lot of success coupling it to my ED-80 ‘scope and HEQ5 mount. I image from central Bristol and the light pollution is horrendous, but this camera and the narrowband filters bypass that problem rather neatly. Here are photos I’ve taken with the camera:

The core kit I have is basically this: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi1600mm-pro-usb-3-mono-camera-efw8-125-lrgb-filters-125-ha-sii-oiii-filters-bundle.html
      Note the link is for the “Pro” version, which is slightly different to my one in two ways. One, the Pro has an in-built heater for the sensor. I bought one separately for mine, which of course I’ll include. (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-anti-dew-heater-strip-for-asi-cooled-cameras.html). Two, the Pro has a larger memory buffer, but I never found the lack of this to be an issue with my usage.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-holder-ring-for-asi-cooled-cameras-78mm-diameters.html
      Also included is a slightly different version of this holder ring.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-nikon-lens-adapter-for-efw-asi1600.html
      And an adapter so you can attach Nikon F lenses.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-mount-power-cable-for-sky-watcher-mounts.html
      And this very useful cable!

I've taken plenty of photos so you can see exactly what you'd get. First, here's the back of the camera:

And the front, showing the sensor and heater:

This is one side of the Electronic Focus Wheel. All seven filters are mounted:

And the other side:

Here's the Nikon lens adapter:

And the camera holder:

These are the cables it comes with. On the left we have the Lynx Astro cable, with a dual-tip; one for the camera, the other for the heater. Then we have the EFW cable, and blue cable for camera to computer -- both of which are originals. The blue cable is annoyingly short, so I'll throw in a longer one too.

Here's the EFW box and included accessories:

And finally, the camera box and included accessories:

Approx. price breakdown if bought new:
      Camera and filters bundle: £1716
      Holder ring: £49
      Nikon lens adapter: £45
      Lynx Astro Silicone Power Cable: £19
      Total: £1829

I’m asking for £1300 including recorded delivery to the UK; or £1250 if you can collect from central Bristol. Payment via PayPal or bank transfer. If it doesn't sell after a few weeks then I'll consider offers or splitting the kit.
    • By ruskclark
      The Wizard Nebula
      An emission nebula 7,200 light years away and my first proper project of the new imaging year. 
      Really happy with it as I’ve had a steep learning curve with new kit so really pleased to see this image come together. It’s also the first time I’ve imaged it. 
      72x180s subs collected over 2 nights 24/25th August in my Bortle 7 back garden, Whitley Bay, England
      Calibrated with darks, flats and dark flats in DSS and processed in SiriL and Photoshop. 
      Lacerta 72mm f/6 APO
      ZWO ASI1600MC Pro at -15C gain 200
      iOptron CEM25p
      ZWO 60mm guide scope
      ZWO ASI120MM-S guide camera
      Altair Astro 2” Tri Band OSC Filter
      Data collected in APT and guided with PHD2

• By eshy76
      Hi everyone,
      This has been on my hard drive for some months, so nice to have finally got round to processing it! Shot over several nights in January in my back garden.
      NGC 281, also known casually as the Pacman Nebula, is a bright emission nebula and part of an H II region in the northern constellation of Cassiopeia and is part of the Milky Way's Perseus Spiral Arm. It lies about 9,500 light years from us and is 48 light years across.
      As the final version, I've gone for a crop, which I think holds up well, though I'll include the wider fov version in the next post.
      I used a more natural colour blend for this image:
      R = 76%*Ha + 24%*SII
      G = 100%*OIII
      B = 85%*OIII + 15%*Ha
      For some reason, I was not expecting much from this image, but the result looks like it will be one of my favourites...the narrowband data was really good!
      Captured using APT, stacked using APP and processed in Pixinsight.
      5.4 hours integration time.
      Link to full details and higher res version.
      Thanks for looking!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.