Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aristarchus and others

Astro Imp

Was quite surprised to get out tonight as it had been cloudy most of the day.

As soon as I was set up I went straight to the star of tonight's show, Aristarchus, Herodotus and Schroter's Valley. These features where in prime position form viewing being just off the terminator. The valley could be traced from the Cobra's Head north and then west through the little dog leg almost to the terminator. As I had been looking forward to observing these features (I missed them last lunation because of cloud) a lot of time was spent teasing out as much detail as possible. 

From here I went north to an area I hadn't looked at closely before. Carpenter was well placed and showed well as did Anaximenes and several of the surrounding craters.

Back to Aristarchus, I noticed a ridge running from Herodotus A going south towards Marius, this I couldn't identify (anyone?).

To the south east is Flamsteed P, which is well worth spending time exploring, Oceanus Procellarium has invaded the crater leaving only parts of the walls visible. I found it curious that although Flamsteed P is by far the larger crater the small crater on the southern wall is denoted Flamsteed.

Although not ideally placed I had a quick look at Gassendi and noticed Gassendi A was casting a shadow on the floor that was a perfect outline of a church spire.

To finish I had a quick scan around the southern highlands where Schiller was well placed. It was instructive to see the difference the passing of a couple of nights had on the look of the great crater Clavius, just a pale shadow of it's former appearance.

Thanks for reading.

By coincidence I've just about finished Patrick Moore's "Guide to the Moon", published 1976, that I picked up from a charity stall a few weeks ago.  Although the great man was no stranger to controversy, and his view that the craters were largely created by volcanic activity seems at odds with today's received wisdom blaming massive meteorite bombardment, I have been inspired by his detailed insight to spend a lot more time moon-gazing this year.  Your eloquently written piece based on experience with an 8" Dob in a single night I find greatly encouraging.  Many thanks.

Here’s the ridge that I think you mean Alan (in between the red lines) under Herodotus A, but no name given anywhere for this feauture. Lower down near Marius is the ridge Rima Marius, but I think the one you saw was something separate from this.

ED470354-C3CA-4CCA-A672-D61383DA64A9.thumb.jpeg.4332399e938a4f488a71f662570c6c3f.jpeg

12 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Here’s the ridge that I think you mean Alan (in between the red lines) under Herodotus A, but no name given anywhere for this feauture. Lower down near Marius is the ridge Rima Marius, but I think the one you saw was something separate from this.

ED470354-C3CA-4CCA-A672-D61383DA64A9.thumb.jpeg.4332399e938a4f488a71f662570c6c3f.jpeg

Thanks Gus.

Yes that is exactly right, it seems strange such a prominent feature hasn't been named.

2 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

Good work Alan - and a pleasure to read!

Conditions hereabouts have reverted to grim.....

Doug.

Thanks Doug.

Sorry to here of your poor conditions, I've been fortunate of late had a few lunar sessions, it's reverting to type, tipping down.

Good luck hope you get some clear soon.

12 hours ago, Relpet said:

By coincidence I've just about finished Patrick Moore's "Guide to the Moon", published 1976, that I picked up from a charity stall a few weeks ago.  Although the great man was no stranger to controversy, and his view that the craters were largely created by volcanic activity seems at odds with today's received wisdom blaming massive meteorite bombardment, I have been inspired by his detailed insight to spend a lot more time moon-gazing this year.  Your eloquently written piece based on experience with an 8" Dob in a single night I find greatly encouraging.  Many thanks.

Thanks for your kind words. There is always plenty to see and enjoy when observing our neighbour.

I remember reading the great man's book many years ago, long before I could afford any equipment. Thinking about it I think the mid sixties.

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Very nicely written report Alan, you clearly know your Lunar features. Wish I could remember them!! Enjoyable read.

Thanks Stu.

It's not so much remembering as knowing a few key features and crater hopping from those with the aid of Virtual Moon Atlas.

Archived