SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moving from visual to imaging

Deeko

Hello folks, thanks for taking time out to read this, the advice regularly give on here is brilliant, so thought I'd ask for some :) 

For the last year or so I have took the time to learn as much about astronomy as my spare time allows, and glad I did for this incredibly rewarding hobby. At the beginning I took advice to learn about visual first and arrived at the following kit which I have enjoyed using enormously over the last year (I really didn’t want GOTO when starting out):

Skywatcher 250px 12” Dob

Explore Scientific Maxvision 2” 28mm

Explore Scientific 1.25” 68’ 16mm

Explore Scientific 1.25” 82’ 8.8mm

2” ED Barlow

Variable Polarising Moon Filter

Baader Neodymium Filter

Ironing chair (works a treat!)

I am now keen to move onto learning the ropes of imaging, have experimented with lunar imaging with my dob and had great results, and of course know the limitations of the visual setup I currently have. I’d like to primarily take up DSO imaging, and Planetary if the kit I start out with allows, but happy to buy extra kit to support planetary further down the line if needs be. I also have a Nikon D3300 DSLR, and Surface Pro 3 laptop which I thought I could use for the software. After reading around forums I have arrived at a shopping list and would like some advice on suitability. I live in Sheffield and have access to some reasonably close dark sky areas, but my garden is not too bad for light pollution (where I’ll spend most of my time) as I’m on the periphery of the city near Loxley. Here is what I’m thinking about so far:

Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html

Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro Outfit: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-ds-pro-outfit.html

Skywatcher .85x Reducer/Flattener for ED80: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/skywatcher-85x-reducer-flattener-for-ed80.html

Guide Scope: Skywatcher Startravel 80 OTA: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-startravel-80-ota.html

I’m assuming the above will get me off to a good start for DSO, any other core items missing?  I also know there are issues with managing the Nikon D3300 automatically through software, but seems I can get round this with using an intervalometer? I am a practically minded and don't mind solving problems along the way. Finally, what do I need to add that will allow a reasonable attempt at planetary imaging, possibly a larger aperture newt to swap out the ED80 when necessary such as the 130p DS: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-ds-ota.html ?

Responses are much appreciated. Thanks!

D.

I may be wrong here but the one time I tried Jupiter with my 3048mm 12inch SC it was nothing, no size at all, I was told I needed at least a x2 powermate or barlow and probalby longer. I feel the scope you mention may not have a long enough focal length to start with, I would personally thought a Mak F 12 or F15 would be better as a starting point.

You don't need to get the st80 as a guidescope. You can mount a webcam or a small sensor astro camera onto your finder with an adapter. This reduces the overall weight which is the key with dso work. 

Planets really want long focal lengths so Maks or Scts are best for those.

For planetary imaging you need long focal lengths to create some image scale- optimum f ratio tends to be f15 plus depending on your pixel size. A 6 inch Mak or 8 inch SCT with your existing Barlow might be a good combination for your mount.

HEQ5 and ED80/Focal reducer will be good for DS imaging, Scope will not be really good for planetary, but there is no "one fits all" scope really to do both, you need a separate scope for planetary.

I would also go along with Handy Andy's suggestion:

You don't need to get the st80 as a guidescope. You can mount a webcam or a small sensor astro camera onto your finder with an adapter. This reduces the overall weight which is the key with dso work. 

Cuts down the weight, cuts down the cost, cuts down the mounting hardware.

What camera are you planning to use?

Carole 

For dso imaging that's a fairly decent setup planned,it's not really a planetary setup thou,pretty sharp on the moon and should keep you very happy for a good few years to come..id get a adapter for a finder/guider personally..

Don't forget things like bahtinov mask,dew control..power tanks..etc..

Thanks all! Will ditch the st80 and get a small astro camera with adapter. Will look at another OTA down the line that is suitable for planetary, and focus on getting to grips with DSO work for now.

Archived