Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

D7200 - Pixinsight binning

rodrigol

I had a mishap in the house and lost my photography equipment. I managed to replace my Nikon D7200 and got some shots of Orion, Rossette and Horse Head & Co using this new camera and my SWED80. Thing is that when loading the NEF images for batch preprocessing in pixinsight, they appear binned with filenames such as "light-BINNING_1.xisf".  I'm lost. I don't know why this is happening and if it is in fact due to a setting in the camera that I've got wrong. 

Any help is much appreciated!

R:)

I’ve not used PI with dslr raws but that naming convention means it’s a light frame binned at 1 ie no binning. Kind of what I would expect as my ccd files are the same. If they were darks it would say dark, bias flat etc. Have you tried running the batch process to see if it works?

Thinking about it. If you also have flats, darks etc. You’ll have to manually load them as such by selecting the relevant file type as PI would normally try & read this in the fits header if it were a .fit file. The .xisf is default file type output for PI now. But can be changed to what you want. Ie I still save mine as .fits.

Hi,
Thanks for taking time to reply :-) I've used the batch preprocessing script before with my other D7200 and did not see this file naming pattern. PI is adding "binning 1" as a header in the files section for each lights, darks, bias images and also to the output files. Where is this binning happening is what I'm wondering and I suspect it may be a camera setting - but I need to understand what/why PI is doing that and what impact it may be having on image quality.

Again, I'm very grateful for your time!

R:) 

Binning is PI speak for grouping. Eg, if you calibrate and register images taken with different settings (filters, exposure times) PI will put them in different bins. The name light-binning_1.xisf is usually reserved for stacked images.

PI shouldn't affect file names of raw dslr files, and nikon files shouldn't be aproblem. I can have a closer look when I'm at my computer again.

I now realise I was unclear in my original post. The RAW files are not renamed. The output files are the one containing 'binning_1' as part of the filename. This indicated there is some setting that is different. But where? 

Thanks again for you patience :-) 

I think this has to do with the way PixInsight works. In the batch preprocessor script, you can load all images (different exposures, filters, etc) all at once, and pi is remarkably good at figuring out what goes where. So, in order to keep track of the different settings, PixInsight orders them in different bins (groups). This has nothing to do with 2x2 binning you do in ccd imaging.

6 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

You do have to ask the question "why have PI (of which I am a paid user) used such a long-established word like 'binning' in such a different context!!" :BangHead:

Actually, I have to correct my previous post. Just tonight I calibrated/stacked LRGB images with PixInsight's Batch Preprocessor script. All files had "BINNING_1" in their name. So, I'm wondering if this is actually referring to the binning state of a ccd. But since I don't have 2x2 binned sub frames, I won't be able to test this.

5a6fc1826b2b1_Skrmklipp2018-01-3001_49_12.thumb.png.e838bb980c3fbe2e6bbde0b1347d1fe9.png

I have found some binned 2 x data and am delighted to confirm that the balance of the universe appears to have been restored and that PI when using the BatchPreprocessing script does correctly recognises the binning mode and adds it for the avoidance of doubt. It would appear, thankfully, that they are using the word in the correct context.

Two sets of image data

binning.thumb.png.8e50862b97552a486e1661378de84688.png

Archived