Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Carry bag for 200p dobsonian

(Sorry for double posting hopefully one of the mods can delete my original post)

Hello all,

hope you’ve all had a good week,  been a few clear skies this week :D

In the next couple of months I’m going to be purchasing the 200p Dobsonian.  And doing some research people seem to struggle carrying the  ota because of how awkward it is.I was wondering if anyone has successfully put handles on it to make it easier to carry or other solutions I have found this on eBay  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Awning-Pole-Storage-Bag-Deluxe-Hardwearing-Holdall-/142422407055?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10 not sure  if it’s the right dimensions  I’ve also seen people suggest heavy duty trolleys. But I have to use stairs to get to the garden so that’s kind of out the question ( and might need to make a 2 minute walk to a field). Any help would be appreciated and also if possible to post me some images of what you’ve done. I don’t really want to drill in the ota to make holes for a handle. 

Hi Revilo,

i have the same scope and have not had a need to change/mod the set up. It’s big but I’ve never had an issue transporting/carrying it. If I’m carrying it short distances the whole set up is manageable. But if you are navigating stairs I’d recommend splitting it up and carrying the mount first to its location and then the tube. I hold the tube upright by the 2 black plastic discs which are used to keep it in the mount as they are fixed securely to the tube and provide plenty of purchase. Also they are pretty central so the tube is balanced well when carrying it. Hope this helps

Same here, short distances, around my small garden is not an issue as its somewhere around 27Kgs all up.

On a recent  road trip to a darker site, I re-inserted the tension handles onto the OTA  which helped keep the OTA more stable ( cant roll )  which is almost impossible in our smallest car, as the scope is a tight fit over the back seat, surrounded by two cot mattresses and a duvet! but if your laying the scope on a blanket or other soft surface, those handles could be effective.

The OTA mounting points that Kriss Craik mentions above, one of them had a screw loose on my scope, and it could have been an issue trying to get arm and spanner down the tube, but fortunately, the screw 'bit' enough to tighten.

Another issue on my scope and have done this twice now? On removal of the tension handles, the black grommet/washer that the handle passes though on the Dob base, detaches? I found one on the floor,  and last time, one was  still on the tension handle, so something else to 'fix' here, and no doubt a drop of glue will sort things out.

Generally my scope is fully assembled all the time, ready to go.........strange how things can come loose on their own ?

If your storing your scope in two sections, then a bag of some description with the scope stored level on a shelf, floor or loft sounds like a good idea, and if padded would negate my duvets and mattresses, but its not so easy curling up in a scope bag, when conditions fail,  away from home and one needs a nap! -_-

Also, the bag your looking at is  reasonably priced too, and if it does not find its place around your new skyliner, there's scope for other uses as well ( sorry for the pun ). I mention price because I bought a bag, dedicated for my Starguiders ( says Starguider on the bag! ) roughly cost £49. I took a look at another bag, the same style, layout, colour ( sure it was identical ) this one has TeleVue embossed on the bag......still think its the same bag?  £149............. Buyer's beware!

I wouldn’t bother with a case for the OTA. A handle of some kind is sufficient. If you don’t want to drill holes in the tube you can simply use two pieces of nylon webbing around the tube on either side of the center of gravity, with a third piece (perhaps running through a plastic pipe) connecting them and acting either as a handle or a shoulder strap. 

44 minutes ago, martinl said:

you can simply use two pieces of nylon webbing around the tube on either side of the center of gravity, with a third piece (perhaps running through a plastic pipe) connecting them and acting either as a handle or a shoulder strap. 

Exactly what I was going to suggest - a bit like the straps that are often used for roll up camping beds.

3 hours ago, Kriss Craik said:

Hi Revilo,

i have the same scope and have not had a need to change/mod the set up. It’s big but I’ve never had an issue transporting/carrying it. If I’m carrying it short distances the whole set up is manageable. But if you are navigating stairs I’d recommend splitting it up and carrying the mount first to its location and then the tube. I hold the tube upright by the 2 black plastic discs which are used to keep it in the mount as they are fixed securely to the tube and provide plenty of purchase. Also they are pretty central so the tube is balanced well when carrying it. Hope this helps

Reason I wanted a bag was so I could carry both at the same time ( not in the same bag)  if possible . If I’m going to a field I don’t really want to leave the ota on it’s own even if it is a couple of minutes to walk to.  It’s fine to carry both around my garden but am limited to viewing angles because of trees! But thanks for tip carrying it by its discs.

1 hour ago, martinl said:

I wouldn’t bother with a case for the OTA. A handle of some kind is sufficient. If you don’t want to drill holes in the tube you can simply use two pieces of nylon webbing around the tube on either side of the center of gravity, with a third piece (perhaps running through a plastic pipe) connecting them and acting either as a handle or a shoulder strap. 

Good idea about the nylon webbing was also looking at the case for storage reasons as well. Thanks for the tip.

2 hours ago, Charic said:

Same here, short distances, around my small garden is not an issue as its somewhere around 27Kgs all up.

On a recent  road trip to a darker site, I re-inserted the tension handles onto the OTA  which helped keep the OTA more stable ( cant roll )  which is almost impossible in our smallest car, as the scope is a tight fit over the back seat, surrounded by two cot mattresses and a duvet! but if your laying the scope on a blanket or other soft surface, those handles could be effective.

The OTA mounting points that Kriss Craik mentions above, one of them had a screw loose on my scope, and it could have been an issue trying to get arm and spanner down the tube, but fortunately, the screw 'bit' enough to tighten.

Another issue on my scope and have done this twice now? On removal of the tension handles, the black grommet/washer that the handle passes though on the Dob base, detaches? I found one on the floor,  and last time, one was  still on the tension handle, so something else to 'fix' here, and no doubt a drop of glue will sort things out.

Generally my scope is fully assembled all the time, ready to go.........strange how things can come loose on their own ?

If your storing your scope in two sections, then a bag of some description with the scope stored level on a shelf, floor or loft sounds like a good idea, and if padded would negate my duvets and mattresses, but its not so easy curling up in a scope bag, when conditions fail,  away from home and one needs a nap! -_-

Also, the bag your looking at is  reasonably priced too, and if it does not find its place around your new skyliner, there's scope for other uses as well ( sorry for the pun ). I mention price because I bought a bag, dedicated for my Starguiders ( says Starguider on the bag! ) roughly cost £49. I took a look at another bag, the same style, layout, colour ( sure it was identical ) this one has TeleVue embossed on the bag......still think its the same bag?  £149............. Buyer's beware!

Hi, thanks for the reply, the bag was for storage as well maybe get a small bag for eyepieces etc. wasn’t sure about the bag for the dimensions but looks ok not sure what the quality is like . Will have a look at the bags you mentioned. The washer sounds abit of a pain haven’t heard that problem before reading other threads.

17 minutes ago, Revilo said:

Reason I wanted a bag was so I could carry both if possible . If I’m going to a field I don’t really want to leave the ota on it’s own even if it is a couple of minutes to walk to.  It’s fine to carry both around my garden but am limited to viewing angles because of trees! But thanks for tip carrying it by its discs.

A shoulder bagged OTA, shoulder bagged eyepiece set, the Dobsonian in one hand, torch in the other, don't trip over now whatever you do! there's still a lot of weight on your shoulders.

Ive had my eyes open recently for a set of wheels, in fact a fully sprung pram, in order to move my scope from the house  to the local field, but not sure a fully sprung pram would fit in my car, for when I venture further afield.

One sound idea is to take your partner/friend.....they can help with the carrying of equipment, enjoy the views, and convince you that the 'snap'  you heard  in the undergrowth behind you was "nothing really - just ignore it"............eeeeek!

As for the the washer? not sure its a common problem throughout, its just my scope, and twice its happened. It won't happen again!

1 minute ago, Charic said:

A shoulder bagged OTA, shoulder bagged eyepiece set, the Dobsonian in one hand, torch in the other, don't trip over now whatever you do! there's still a lot of weight on your shoulders.

Ive had my eyes open recently for a set of wheels, in fact a fully sprung pram, in order to move my scope from the house  to the local field, but not sure a fully sprung pram would fit in my car, for when I venture further afield.

One sound idea is to take your partner/friend.....they can help with the carrying of equipment, enjoy the views, and convince you that the 'snap'  you heard  in the undergrowth behind you was "nothing really - just ignore it"............eeeeek!

Haha. Was going to on have one  bag on my back for eyepieces and stuff and that bag I mentioned in one and base in another ( and the torch in my  Mouth?!)  i was looking at golf trolleys earlier but not sure if the ota would fit on it wouldn’t be much use for me but maybe for other people.you can also get electric ones which would be handy.

.......what ever you use, just needs to separate the scope from any knocks or vibration, as that 8" mirror is bound to move  otherwise. 
You've just reminded be of an old friend who acquired a powered golf buggy. Cleaned it all up, fully serviced, new battery, repaired faulty switch. Came back one day, seems that trolley had a mind of its own and headed for the water feature. It still worked after  drying, another service, new battery. Lol

Another mode of transport just sprung to mind, dual-purpose maybe, a wheel barrow with pneumatic tyres, let some of the air out to increase the damping? Could be a more practical item for my needs!

If your OTA is as big as mine when extended I don't it would fit and be safe in a wheel barrow.  On the other had if you could get something like a pensioner's Sholley and fit it with oversize wheels you might be getting somewhere.  I reckon the OTA would fit nicely in a Sholley or other form of shopping trolly due to their high sides.

12 hours ago, Revilo said:

Haha. Was going to on have one  bag on my back for eyepieces and stuff and that bag I mentioned in one and base in another ( and the torch in my  Mouth?!)  i was looking at golf trolleys earlier but not sure if the ota would fit on it wouldn’t be much use for me but maybe for other people.you can also get electric ones which would be handy.

If you're thinking that you can carry the ota in one hand and the mount in the other I think that you are probably underestimating the size of the telescope. A correctly positioned handle might make it possible to lift one handed but the long tube is going to be quite awkward and I think you would still want the other hand to control it. 365 Astronomy sell some backpack style cases for Newtonian OTAs. I don't see a 200/1200 version so you would have to go for the 250/1200 version and add a bit of padding. With the scope on your back you could probably put the eyepiece case inside the dob base and pick them up as one item. It's still a heavy combination though so I'm not sure how far you should carry it. Some sort of trolley for everything except the OTA would probably be advisable.

My OTA collapses. I always shift the set-up in two bits - the base and then I pick up the OTA will two hands one at each end and carry it to the stand and put the two bits back together again. If you are worried about leaving bit and he possibility of theft I would suggest moving the base first and going back for the OTA as I somehow see the base as the less nick-able object.

13 hours ago, JOC said:

If your OTA is as big as mine when extended I don't it would fit and be safe in a wheel barrow.

I know what your thinking, but it would be tensioned with bungees, but not sure the barrow will be wide enough for the Dob base? 

Ive been looking at the Haemmerlin twin wheelbarrow, as to be honest, were actually in need of a barrow for a project in our garden, but to-date not found one thats suitable one way or another.

I also remember knocking out go-karts as a youngster, build in the morning, race in the afternoon, so I could fabricate something from that idea, but sitting here now, writing and texting, I've just noticed the step I made out of decking for one of my sheds! If I add four wheels and a solid handle, hey-presto, I've got a sturdy low-level carrying platform, a lighter version would suffice as the bulk of this step is made from 4x2", then clad with patio decking, but the potential is there. Still need some wheels, then there's the Carp trolley, but thats lethal, the amount of times I've tipped that over, :icon_biggrin:

Archived