Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

HowardHopkinson

Security Light Rant!

Yeah, it's the monkey brain. As soon as it gets dark it runs around in little circles gibbering about leopards.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, DaveS said:

Yeah, it's the monkey brain. As soon as it gets dark it runs around in little circles gibbering about leopards.

Well I must admit we do have a lot of felines in Surrey :cat:

• Like 1

Update:  

Had a coversation with the Accent group who own the property and emailed them photos. I'm pleased to say they have fixed the issue and it's no longer a problem. All I need now is for the chap who lives across the road in a bungalow to sort his ultra bright and badly aimed search light out that suddenly appeared last week. What I don't understand is why he felt the need to install a high power security light on a tiny bungalow, given the fact there's a street light directly outside his home. The mind boggles!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HowardHopkinson said:

Update:  

Had a coversation with the Accent group who own the property and emailed them photos. I'm pleased to say they have fixed the issue and it's no longer a problem. All I need now is for the chap who lives across the road in a bungalow to sort his ultra bright and badly aimed search light out that suddenly appeared last week. What I don't understand is why he felt the need to install a high power security light on a tiny bungalow, given the fact there's a street light directly outside his home. The mind boggles!

That’s good news about one thing, and unfortunate news about the other! Still that’s a great result for your efforts. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, HowardHopkinson said:

Update:  

That's really good. Sometimes if you can get to talk to a real person it makes all the difference. Good luck with your next conversation! It is odd that folks want to light up the world when they are in bed asleep.

I was really lucky in that my neighbour has a couple of lights at the back that they use to light the garden, mainly to see the hedgehogs come down to feed, but when he spots me set up my astro gear he has a quick chat and then switches them off. Good neighbours are worth at least an extra degree of mag!

• Like 2

I've given up. I'm surrounded by them. There's one particularly bad one that I discussed with the neighbour. He has a 'right' to it it, has his family there he's away a lot etc, its less than 250w (however its obviously an superbright led). The thing is he has it at the apex of his house, it lights up the whole street and it works off movement and he's put it right next to a steam pipe.:rolleyes2:

Unfortunately there's probably only me that cares, and there's other security lights in the vicinity that are just as bright, just not angled towards me. I also have have had two hotels to the north and south projecting ridiculously powerful led disco lights into the sky. Fortunately they ony seem to do it for a couple of weeks around Christmas.

Weirdly, after looking at a couple of pictures of other peoples back gardens they probably have it a lot worse. I've given up on visual and just concentrate on AP and EAA.

Edited by cuivenion
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

DP's second law of light-pollution:

The brighter the security light, the more the owner will complain if you set up a mirror that focuses the light back into his bedroom window.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 27/01/2018 at 17:13, Alan White said:

I feel your pain Howard.

My dear insecure neighbour has a massive spot on his garage that is a good 200m plus from me and it illuminates my garden fully.
He also has another on a tree alongside my garden and it point directly into my garden and lounge.
Asked if he would realign them I was told NO.

All so sad in that I bought my house 16 years ago for its darker secluded spot and no lights local, how things change.

That's not only anti social behaviour it borders on aggression. I'm sure the local council could do something about  that. 

Edited by Dave Lloyd
Typo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dave Lloyd said:

That's not only anti social behaviour it borders on aggression. I'm sure the local council could do something about  that. 

Indeed it is in my opinion too but no they would not do anything as its not illuminating a bedroom.

• Like 1

On 29/01/2018 at 13:28, Alan White said:

And there in lies the real problem, they are!

Indeed they are. A great book which covers the loss of the night sky - "The End of Night"  - touches on this subject in some detail. One little gem I gleaned from this book is that there are still Victorian gas lamps around central London which are lit every night! I've been living in London for 50 years and I never knew that. Anyway, it's a great book and ought to be compulsory reading for local councils throughout the land.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2018 at 17:13, Alan White said:

I feel your pain Howard.

My dear insecure neighbour has a massive spot on his garage that is a good 200m plus from me and it illuminates my garden fully.
He also has another on a tree alongside my garden and it point directly into my garden and lounge.
Asked if he would realign them I was told NO.

Observing hood and careful choice of targets has since been required.
Each observation is a major reward i being able to find it and observe.

All so sad in that I bought my house 16 years ago for its darker secluded spot and no lights local, how things change.

Alan,that is completely unreasonable behaviour and you should complain to your local/Parish/District council. 

Tell them it's affecting your sleep, your physical well-being, your human right to enjoy the night sky environment, etc etc.

Just make yourself a nuisance until someone does something?

Good luck?

Dave 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, HowardHopkinson said:

What I don't understand is why he felt the need to install a high power security light on a tiny bungalow, given the fact there's a street light directly outside his home. The mind boggles!

He obviously has money to burn but far less wit.

Cheers,
Steve

• Like 1