Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
steppenwolf

M33 I think the 'M' stands for 'Misty'

This image took a lot of work and I'm really not that happy with it - despite there being 31 subs. of 400 seconds each, I just cannot get any good detail out of it - did I get the focus wrong perhaps? The sky conditions were very damp indeed so this could just be that I was shooting through a haze of water droplets!

m33_280908_l.jpg

Looks good from here Steve. Focus is spot on. A bit lacking in contrast which suggests mist. A tad green maybe, nice star colour though

Steve

We're our own fiercest critic..... I posted one of M33 a couple of days ago and was re-working it last night, as I think my first effort is too "crunchy" on the contrast :smiley: . I'll be re-posting it this evening.

I think your image is spot on (albeit with a bit less green in the background as Martin noted).

cheers

RB

Your too self critical Steve. All the Images I've seen of M33 look misty.

It looks A1 to me, and it's size and framing are spot on too.

Ron. :smiley:

Its a fantastic shot but like you say... at 31x400 sec you would almost demand it. Maybe it got misty during some of the time.

Matt

Steve, there's nothing wrong with that apart from the camera needs an aqualung! Great shot, bad conditions or not.

Tony..

I have to agree with the other guys,Steve. You are are your own worst critic. :smiley: I think the 'misty' effect of the galaxy is rather cool!I've had a quick lunchtime crack at reducing the greenish tint to the background and with a bit more work I think you will have a cracker image there.

Cheers

CW

Click as usual.

Thanks for all your comments folks - very helpful indeed. I was concentrating so much on the lack of crispness in the galaxy itself that that I had overlooked the green tint but Cloudwatcher's re-work has made it crystal clear that the green is an issue that I will have a go at later!

Well, I have had a little play and attacked the green but you probably know what it is like when you have worked on the same image for a long time, every change in one direction has an adverse effect somewhere else so I will have a proper play later!

Hi Steve

I tried this and thought it misty so dumped it, However it wasn't anywhere as good as yours, I will try it again if I get a good night.

Robin

Nice one steve.. the comments have already been made...

With imaging opportunities so rare this year so far i'm just grabbing anything I can ...

Billy..

I've seen that effect myself Steve, and it is I'm sure a haze that you were imaging through.

That said, its all there, and very nice it is too.

Dave

Mr. Messier, probably one of the most unlucky 'astronomers' of all time and he wasn't even meant to be collating DSO's!

Looks sharp enough Steve. Just one of those occasions where you do everything as per usual and the results don't match your expectations, so I reckon it must be atmospherics. I think M33 is particularly susceptible to the conditions when we shoot it in the Autumn.

Mark

Looking good Steve, Very natural looking shot a little tweak to the green channel and it will be spot on. :)

Mike.

'Tis proving a little tricky this one but on my monitor, the green is improved on this version as is the overall noise:-

m33_280908_l-gr.jpg

Edited as there were all sorts of problems with the image upload!!

Steve I hope you dont mind... my calibrated monitor is showing a gradient should be easy to remove with gradx

Colours better though - didnt comment on this from work as i cant trust the calibration on that one..

Billy..