SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another dslr cooling approach ?

lux eterna

Hi all,

As I mostly image in zero or sub-zero temperatures, I want to take advantage of this cooling potential without having to tear down my camera completely, as with the cold finger approach. I would rather accept somewhat less cooling effect in favour of very low power consumption and not so complex DIY project.

My (modded and astro dedicated) Nikon D7000 is very much used, and I guess it has very little value in the used dslr market any more, so not much to loose as long as I do not ruin it because it still does a great job. On ifixit.com I found a teardown guide, and I think I could manage the first steps in order to take out the tripod attachment plate. https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/PJGgX3SaLO4TUbMl.huge

That would expose the metal housing, which already has some convenient holes in it : https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/TKHQIORXHIBuQDyo.huge

And then I would drill some holes in the bottom plastic cover and attach a 40x40mm dc fan like this :

IMG_20180126_111346.thumb.jpg.bebf18c7b042a1cc840f1733eca3a260.jpg

Maybe the rest of the housing is not too air tight, or I would have to care for some evacuation holes somewhere. Has anyone tried something similar ? Any ideas ?

Regards,

Ragnar

• 9 months later...

I have a new version of this invention. The old SodaStream in the kitchen just got a new life (who likes those bubble drinks anyway ?). I took the cylinder and hose/valve things, put some insulation on it and so it became a camera cooler. A right angle hose in the camera plus some soft silicone tubing and the camera is ready to enjoy cool and dry CO2 gas. Should I turn the cylinder up side down, I would get CO2 snow but I just use gas. The cylinder lives in the freezer when not in use, so it will have maximum cooling effect. For safety, I always plug both tube openings until using this to avoid humid air from entering the camera interior. (Sorry for the poor picture quality). I measured the cooling effect, from +20 degrees Celsius to -20 in just a few seconds (depending how much you inject). So I use this now and then, between exposures (sorry, have no with/without pictures).

BTW, the stainless dslr bracket is just a (very effective) fucuser flex killer. 

IMG_20181016_182435.thumb.jpg.29d1e37f2f455487790112e024dfb407.jpg

Ragnar

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/10/2018 at 10:53, lux eterna said:

I have a new version of this invention. The old SodaStream in the kitchen just got a new life (who likes those bubble drinks anyway ?). I took the cylinder and hose/valve things, put some insulation on it and so it became a camera cooler. A right angle hose in the camera plus some soft silicone tubing and the camera is ready to enjoy cool and dry CO2 gas. Should I turn the cylinder up side down, I would get CO2 snow but I just use gas. The cylinder lives in the freezer when not in use, so it will have maximum cooling effect. For safety, I always plug both tube openings until using this to avoid humid air from entering the camera interior. (Sorry for the poor picture quality). I measured the cooling effect, from +20 degrees Celsius to -20 in just a few seconds (depending how much you inject). So I use this now and then, between exposures (sorry, have no with/without pictures).

BTW, the stainless dslr bracket is just a (very effective) fucuser flex killer. 

Ragnar

WOW! :) @lux eterna I love your approach! :)

The next step - Nitrogen!

P.S. I would afraid to use CO2 directly... I would place the camera into the solid box and keep it "Frozen" during all session! :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/11/2018 at 19:16, knobby said:

I've often thought of drilling holes behind the flip out screen on a D5300 and attaching a fan there, with an intake hole somewhere (filtered) but not sure how much benefit it would really be .

Just a fan will probably not make a big difference, but if you can produce cooled air (or gas) it will be very effective especially in warm ambient temperatures.

I am hunting for a used 5300 (for the 24 Mpixels) and will keep your idea in mind - good thinking !

Ragnar (sorry for the late answer)

Archived