Narrowband

Leo Triplets LRGB

Rodd

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gorann said:

Very nice Rodd! There is definitively some Ha in the galaxies even if I need to zoom in to see it. Well worth your efforts

Thanks Goran.  There may be more Ha  than my final images portray--There is quite allot in M66.  Here's the unprocessed Ha stack and the "cleaned" Ha stack (leakage from red channel removed).   The magnitude of the multiplier used in the pixel math formula for removing the red continuum signal is a judgement call--the image scale does not help.  If you don't clean the Ha channel in this way--it just turns the whole galaxy pinkish instead of highlighting the individual Ha regions.   I don't remember what multiplier I used--I just remade this one for this post (kicking myself for not saving).   But as you can see from the images--the final Ha inserted into the image is highly dependent on the multiplier. To me--the second cleaned one is likely to be more accurate as far as revealing pure Ha regions--maybe still too much red.   I am sure you or Olly would make a splendid HaLRGB image of the Leo Triplets.  As for me...in typical fashion I will have to reprocess this data a few more times before I am able to  iron out the wrinkles that can be removed through good processing. I think a decent project would be making an HaLRGB image of  any of these galaxies with a longer focal length.  I hear the call of the C11Edge (its been quite lately).

Unprocessed Ha

Ha.thumb.jpg.dad6528b937f13d7cad08ee32e317fd5.jpg

Cleaned Ha

5a6f1817bf301_CleanedHa.thumb.jpg.3ceb49c7ca1b4b9fb682a673dc0fda64.jpg

Cleaned with stronger multiplier

5a6f1b058cd4b_CleanedHa3.thumb.jpg.b6080a5c6289f03b1639f82ef0966565.jpg

Interesting! But it is PI a procedure and I do not know how that magic works. However, bringing out your big light bucket for one or two of those galaxies, and doing some Ha, is obviously the next step!

Archived