Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Opinion on Pentax 20x60

pluton

Hello,
I am thinking seriously about buying a serious binocular to observe planes at high altitude, (not airports) and I have seen in the forum that some use the pentax 20x60 for that purpose, and I would like to know your opinion about it to observe mostly aircraft I have tripod and monopod also, -
I also like to observe the Moon and birds in the distance ...
I would also like to know if the field provided by the Pentax is enough for this type of observation and if you have had problems with black out (kidney been)
many thanks
regards
Paul

I have no experience with the Pentax, but I frequently use my Russian 20x60 Kronos binos to look at aircraft. These may have significantly wider field than the Pentax (~3+ degrees), but also much shorter eye relief. In practice, with glasses on, the real field of view is probably similar. I haven’t had any problems finding or holding aircraft in view with these, but much will depend on how fluid your tripod head is. 

The Pentax have very good reviews and if it wasn’t for the narrow FOV (more important for DSOs), and the fact that I already have 20x60s, I would probably have bought a pair myself. 

I have a pair among my arsenal. I like them. I think they'd suit your purpose quite well. Only observation I'd make is that they do have a narrower FoV but you're aware of that. It bothers some and not others... Like me.

I've had no problems with Kidney beaning. I use them on a monopod with trigger grip, but more often than not hand held. Everyone's tolerances are different. But for me I can use them that way relatively easily...

Same here. Bought these after the 12x50s. When we got them 6 years ago the Nikon AE were their chief competitor in the various comparos we read by EdZ of CN, with the comparable Nikons edging these out, but not enough to justify the added cost for us.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/181833-observing-with-the-pentax-20x60/#entry2346353

I have the Pentax  20x60s. They are well made, feel good in the hands and optically they are very good indeed. The narrow fov is sharp and contrasty over nearly the whole field. As well as Steve Tonkin's review you will find some good and interesting comments over at cloudy nights. They really need at least a monopod to keep them stable but with arms braced it is possible to hand hold them for a short spell. I have seen that some have used a red dot finder to find astronomy targets, but to my surprise I find that I can locate objects quite well without. I think it all boils down to whether you find the fov too narrow for your taste and purposes. If your OK with that then I think you will like them. The only irritation I've had with them are the poor fitting lens caps and the joke of a carrying case! Both can be sorted well enough, but strange for Pentax to skimp on such things.

I got them for Dad-in-law, mounted on a tripod with an RDF for astro, and he loves them. Used for birding as well. Really nice build and good views, I would recommend at least a monopod to keep the view steady for lunar - though with fast-moving targets like aircraft, this may or may not be worth it. I will say the FOV is certainly sufficient for spotting birds and aircraft and lunar observing. The eyecups twist up nicely to help keep a good position. Great value.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your kind response!

Really, I have a monopod and a tripod with head video Manfrotto 501..,  but the most important thing for me is that this binocular has no black out problems, since I find it very annoying to observe this type of problem, I had it with a Nikon 10x42 SE some time ago and I had to sell it because it was more outstanding of properly placing the eyes that of observing ...
Thank you

When using the Pentax 20x60 eye position is important but its something I found I adapted to quickly, to the point where I can simply take them out and use them. That's purely for astronomical use. Whether others find them so I can't say. There are quite a few posts on cloudynights regarding the Pentax 20x60 it might be worth scouring them to see whether this is going to be an issue. I'm surprised the 10x42SE gave blackout problems.

2 hours ago, pluton said:

the most important thing for me is that this binocular has no black out problems,

Next weekend I'll probably have the chance to re-check this, I will if I can. As I wrote earlier, the eyecups do twist up nicely to help keep eye position and I don't recall any significant blackout problems. Will report back.

On 2/4/2018 at 16:24, pluton said:

the most important thing for me is that this binocular has no black out problems, since I find it very annoying to observe this type of problem

OK, I'm back and have compared all the bins I can lay my hands on with these. My main observation is that all binoculars I have used give black outs if my eyes are not correctly positioned, this includes correctly setting the inter-pu... you know, the IPD. :icon_biggrin:

So to a certain extent, if I let this bother me, no bins will ever make me happy. Having said this, there may be differences between different models. The only pattern I can see is that bins with higher magnification seem to be more sensitive to this.

In any case, the Pentax do seem to require a bit more precision, but my other bins are 10x and 15x so it's not a reliable product comparison. I really do need to have the eyecups fully extended and the upper part of my nose might not have the ideal width for these (or any bins, for that matter) but once I settle down and concentrate on the target it's fine. Better than fine, it's really sharp and clear.

If you really are very sensitive to black outs and want to select bins that are as forgiving as possible, I would not recommend these. I think the extra effort to get optimal position and settle down to actual observing is worth it - certainly at this price point - but it's certainly less tiring to use 15x50, especially if they are image-stabilized. :rolleyes2:

Here are some pictures of how the eyecups extend. There's a click-stop halfway out.

DSC_1359.thumb.JPG.bbd61faa7f1e152e81b57b8a6998f9f1.JPG

DSC_1358.thumb.JPG.513e1ed4d32ab0a568e756f4910418c7.JPG

DSC_1357.thumb.JPG.a22a68bea250b59caa9b53d68b66b93e.JPGDSC_1356.thumb.JPG.b2833290c50871e9dddf8e5be6c6be3c.JPG

At 20x, they are more difficult to hold steady. It helps to place my hands further out.

DSC_1360.thumb.JPG.422b9273553d72655a577e026a6a7401.JPG

DSC_1361.thumb.JPG.dc9863b50af6007826daa093c91758ee.JPG

The caps for the objectives do stay on properly for the most part, but will pull off easily when caught on the edge of whatever bag you keep them in. Better to get some lens caps that click in.

DSC_1362.thumb.JPG.24491cce2d709e02294cf7bf4c3b0bd2.JPG

This cap, however, is a complete joke and doesn't stay on at all:

DSC_1363.thumb.JPG.947b17a07d76607846ed0723d87be1bb.JPG

So you'll need to bungee it on - not a really bad solution for in the bag - or get different caps for this side.

For long-distance birding, I think these are great. The extra mag is really nice and the field of view is enough.

Aircraft at altitude I have not tried yet, maybe later today, will report.

:happy11:

5 minutes ago, iPeace said:

So you'll need to bungee it on - not a really bad solution for in the bag - or get different caps for this side.

Well said Mike. I've never quite understood why Pentax who produce very good binos then equip them with mediocre caps, case etc. My 20x60s now reside in a foam lined hard case, which was not expensive - problem solved.  With regard to eye position, I've found that there is a kind of "knack" to it where within a couple of seconds I'm "there", I guess it comes with just using them. From various posts I've read on cloudynights concerning the Pentax 20x60 I think its something you get or you can't be bothered with which tends to polarise opinion.

3 minutes ago, Alfian said:

With regard to eye position, I've found that there is a kind of "knack" to it where within a couple of seconds I'm "there", I guess it comes with just using them. From various posts I've read on cloudynights concerning the Pentax 20x60 I think its something you get or you can't be bothered with which tends to polarise opinion.

Yes. Really good description. :thumbright:

If you try them out expecting an easy ride, you might feel initial disappointment. If you give it some practice, you can be rewarded with some really good performance - especially at this price point.

5 minutes ago, iPeace said:

If you try them out expecting an easy ride, you might feel initial disappointment. If you give it some practice, you can be rewarded with some really good performance - especially at this price point.

Yes, that's a very fair comment too, a little work brings the rewards.

On 1/25/2018 at 17:42, pluton said:

a serious binocular to observe planes at high altitude

On 1/25/2018 at 17:42, pluton said:

I would like to know your opinion about it to observe mostly aircraft

YES. :thumbright:

This really brings out the best in these bins.

Tried it out this afternoon. Was out at a good observing location, nice and quiet with airliners passing high overhead at regular intervals in various headings. They weren't pulling contrails today, so spotting them was a fun challenge.

With the FOV as it is, it took me a couple tries to sharpen my aim. Was quickly sorted, though, and with minimal practice raising the bins with eyes on target I was acquiring with little effort. The extra mag of 20x over 15x really is nice for positive identification of type and corporate livery.

Must recommend.

:happy11:

Hello Paul,

This is a great high power bino, it will show you the rings of Saturn en many deepsky object.

The moon gives you great views. I also used it on high altitude planes and it won't let you down.

A tripod is a must with its high magnification.

pentax op statief klein

Archived