Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Will this cause flexure - guiding

Hi, here's a picture of my c adapter mated to the camera lens I'm using for guiding:

IMG_0315.thumb.JPG.03408f7048e2277f31cac7ce71381465.JPG

There is a small space around where the locking pin mates with the lens allowing a tiny amount of movement. As I'm using this for guiding could it be a problem? My T adapter on my imaging DSLR also has this movement.

Do I need to worry, and if so is there any way to rectify it?

Yes I would worry.

In my experience anything that can move will move and spoil you image.

Not sure how you can prevent it maybe pack it with some tape , but even then i think it may still move.

There always seems to be a little play in the place where a Canon fit locks into the T-Adaptor for the DSLR. For imaging, it has the potential to move as the imaging train tracks, and also move if the scope/lens gets buffeted by wind. You can get away with it most of the time though I have found. Baader do a decent T-ring which seems to be tighter than cheaper alternatives, but still the movement is there if you wiggle the lens. Using it for guiding may make it worse, but that completely depends on the various image scales of the guiding versus main imaging setups. I have added tape on both sides before, once locked in, to try and add some resistance to movement to my system when using a setup like this.

Hi, The imager resolution 1.48"x1.48" per pixel and the guider is 5.72"x5.72" per pixel. I've superglued the adapter to the lens, as it's only a cheap one and it's the only lens I'll be using with the adapter. Hopefully that'll remedy the guiding situation. I won't be doing that with the DSLR of course, hopefully plastic shims will help.

Archived