Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Thor’s Helmet ( NGC 2359 ) 

0165C2DF-D385-4E9F-80BC-3914A85D3E6F.thumb.jpeg.42490054bceda146a8781caebf636c89.jpeg

( NGC 2359 - Thor’s Helmet )  ( please click / tap on image to see larger and without compression artefacts ( and double click on that image if you what to see it as I posted it ! ) )

Summary:

An HDR image that captures as much of the faint detail in the nebula as I can whilst also attempting to show the “true” colours of the stars ( without burnt out highlights ).

Nikon D5300 ( unmodified ), taken 18/19 Jan 2018, exposures ranging from 2s to 240s ( 116 x 240 sec + 5 each for other exposures )

Full details in main post :

Edited by MikeODay
  • Like 7

Like that a lot :)

• Like 1

What a great vision that is. Indeed a beautiful sight.
Like a spread of Jewels.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ant said:

Like that a lot :)

2 hours ago, barkis said:

What a great vision that is. Indeed a beautiful sight.
Like a spread of Jewels.

Thanks guys, that is very king of you.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rhushikesh-Canisminor
      Hello to all!
      Posting a photograph of the Summer Milky Way band that I took last week.
      However, I do not know how should I feel about this!
      This is when the band was right overhead, which is a rare sight for us and happens only when monsoon season is delayed. There was decent glow towards horizon but literally nothing at zenith.
      19 degrees north latitude, around Bortle 3 level sky, taken using Nikon 5300, basic lens.
      And with this, I prepare to have no view of stars till September ends 

• By Xiga
      Hi guys
      First things first, apologies for posting this one out of season. A combination of no astro dark, crappy weather, and being busy at work has meant that there's no imaging getting done at all these days. So, i've had to turn to old data to re-process, and this data set was an obvious candidate as i was never happy with how it came out originally. And looking back on it now with fresh eyes, boy did it need it! 
      Nikon D5300, SW 80ED, HEQ5-Pro. 
      3 x 1200s, 2 x 1380s, and 4 x 1500s of Ha
      9 x 1200s of Oiii. 
      11 x 480s with an IDAS-D1, for RGB stars only
      7 Hrs 54 Mins in Total. 

Stacked in APP and processed in PS. 
      Combined as SHO (using a 70/30 blend of Ha/Oiii for the Sii). 
      The main differences this time were, using Starnet++ to create the starless versions, using more Ha in the synthesized Sii (70% instead of 50% last time), but mostly the improvement has come from toning down the stretch a lot (ok, a heck of a lot!) before making the colour map for the tone-mapping. From then on it was immediately apparent that i'd made a massive boo-boo first time round 🙈
      I've included a 1080p rotated crop too, as i quite liked the framing.
      Feels like ages since i last did any NB imaging. I almost forgot how much i enjoy it! 🙂 

And rather embarrassingly, here's the original. Try not to laugh too hard! 😂 😂 😂

• By Rhushikesh-Canisminor
      Hello to all!
      Just posting some of the images I took recently!
      (Total first attempt from someone who can't even hold a camera properly)
      I was out to conduct a public overnight sky observation event, which was the last event before 6 months of monsoon. For a lot of time, we had cloud cover too!
      These images don't include much of editing more than just some basic stuff in cellphone. I forgot to take the photos in RAW so either way I can't do much!
      Quite happy with the first attempt. Will improve even more in next season!
      Nikon 5300, with the basic 18-55 lens.
      Any suggestions appreciated!
      Thanks! 

• By Beckiii__
      I took these two photos only seconds apart. The top bit I took secondly. I’m not sure what it is I’ve captured. But can anyone tell me what it could be??

• By MeyGray3833
      Finally completed my SHO version. There is some purple in the image I cannot figure out how to get rid of and I'm sick of playing with it. Hints and tips on how to get rid of it welcome, I'm using PixInsight.

https://pbase.com/grahammeyer/image/169136922

Scroll to the bottom for size options and details.

Thanks for looking!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.