40mm Plössl - Suggestions?

iPeace

Scope: SkyWatcher Skymax 150 Pro Maksutov-Cassegrain 150mm f/12.

Purpose: larger exit pupil than 32mm Plössl for DSO observation.

Constraints: 1.25" diagonal.

Considering: TeleVue, but prepared to think outside the green-lettered box.

I like TeleVue eyepieces and getting one is a no-brainer for me. But before I abandon my "wanted" in the classifieds and order a new one, I'm interested in your suggestions.

Which alternatives get close in quality? Is one 40mm Plössl about as good as the next? The TeleVue model really needs the additional eyeguard extender to deal with the eye relief (which doesn't make it any cheaper), so how do the other contenders fare in this respect?

Thanks in advance.

:happy11:

I've only ever owned 3 40mm plossls, the Tele Vue (which you know the quality of because it's the same as the other TV plossls although not par-focal with them), and unbranded Taiwanese one, which was a standard economy plossl and a Japan made Meade 3000 series 40mm which I rather liked because it was nicely coated, and, despite the 43 degree AFoV, felt rather immersive for some reason :icon_scratch:

Vixen do a 40mm version of the NPL which might be a candidate. I have the 30mm NPL which I use for outreach and it's a pretty nice plossl even in my F/5.3 dob. The TV 32mm is probably better overall though, but not by much and in an F/12 scope some of the TV benefits might not be as apparent.

45 minutes ago, John said:

I have the 30mm NPL

How's the twist-up eyeguard on that one? Is it sufficient for the eye relief?

For the money, I guess I could use craft foam to make my own extender for a 40mm NPL if necessary... :confused4:

It's a simple "up or down" affair with a click stop at either extreme. You can't get it to hold in between, the motion is too loose for that. It's a bit "plasticky" but it does the job. I find the "up" position works for me without glasses on. I find my eye socket rests lightly on the rubber surround which helps find and hold the eye relief pretty easily.

Mike - my first 'proper' telescope was an F/14 Meade ETX105 Mak which I used with a set of Meade plossls. It was also the only telescope I've owned which - paired with TeleVue plossls - didn't show a significant improvement over the Meades. Through two subsequent F/10 SCTs, the quality gap between Meade and TV plossls was clear to my eyes, but not at F/14. Your scope is bang in the middle. The good news is that you can pick up a 40mm Celestron/Meade/Vixen/Bresser etc plossl for not much wonga - in fact I've just picked up a Celestron 32mm Omni plossl and it's excellent. 

20 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

TV Plossls are very very nice, but you may also consider a Celestron Ultima, Parks Gold, or Orion Ultrascopic if you can find one. 

Baader Eudiascopic which I have is same. 35mm giving the largest FOV for a 31.7 fit. 

IMG_20180122_140058.jpg

IMG_20180122_140142.jpg

Archived