Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Interesting Crater Chain And The Kiss Of A Shadow

cloudsweeper

4.30 - still light, but Moon (near first quarter) very clear and unobstructed, so out went the 8SE!

The terminator was by a row of several large craters, with Ptolemaeus at the top.  x231 not so sharp, x203 OK, x185 better, and x169, 145 very clear indeed.

A high point on the eastern edge of Ptol. cast a pointed shadow which reached across to "kiss" the small crater Ammonius in the floor of Ptol.

The craters beneath Ptol. - Alphonsus and Arzachel - were in near total shadow, apart from their central peaks.

Just east of the above "high point", I spotted the Davy Crater Chain of several small craters packed close together.  I could make several of these out in their line, and x203 worked better by this time.  Interestingly, the Chain is believed to be the result of a collision by a fragmented comet.

In for bite to eat at 5.30, and further targets planned for later.

Hope others are taking advantage of a clear sky!

Doug.

Nice report Doug :icon_biggrin:

I've just glimpsed the moon through streaming clouds with my 11x70 binoculars but I'm not hopeful of anything better tonight. Forecast is not great here. Hope you get some good viewing later :icon_biggrin:

Archived