SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturn in the mornings?

Girders

For the first time in what seems like weeks the forecast is for a clear night in Glasgow on Thursday night into Friday morning.  Got our first scope in December and have been counting the days until we get the chance for a peek at Saturn.  

It's due to rise around 6:40 am on Friday and sunrise is 8:22 am.  I'm concerned it will be too bright to see Saturn by the time it's high enough above the horizon. 

Has anyone given it a go in recent days or should I resigned myself to having to wait a bit longer (I'll get up and out for another go at Jupiter and Mars anyway).

Thanks

Haven't had a try for it but I suspect it will still be too low to get a decent view of whilst still dark.

It is quite an eye opener to see the difference in timing between Glasgow and London, sunrise at 7.49 down here!

Just as an update, I did manage to get myself up and out for just after 5am.  And after letting the scope cool for a bit, I was rewarded with some nice views of Jupiter and Mars.  I'm still struggling to get a proper look at Jupiter's bands, but was definitely able to spot them as slightly varied shades of cream/magnolia/off-white/yogurt.  Annoyingly, I couldn't quite get the smartphone adapter to line up, so no pics.  

And yes, as expected, there was no chance I was going to get a look at Saturn before the sky got brighter - think I'm probably a good few weeks away yet. 

I had a look at jupiter a couple of mornings after Christmas, the views was pretty poor as well. I was only able to observe until around 5.30-6.00. Jupiter is no higher and should be able to it as it transits,  so hopefully some better views next time. 

I got up Saturday hoping for clear skies, but was fogged out!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a binocular tour around this morning with 8x30s. First early view of Saturn close to Moon - both well framed with ashen light.    Could also see Mars and Antares together which looked like 'twins' in brightness and reddy hue. All accompanied by dawn chorus and owl hoots. 

andrew

Thanks for the 'heads up'.  I'd had a look out the window around 2am and it looked promising (thinking of Jupiter/Mars rather than Saturn really), but by the time I woke again shortly before 6am it had clouded over (just outside Glasgow).  Forecast isn't looking great for next several days but if I get an unexpectedly clear morning I'll try and have a look.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a look at Saturn this morning (20th Feb) but the view of it was probably the worst I've ever had. Also Jupiter, despite being much higher, was almost featureless with only hints of the belts being seen. Yet tiny Mars, which wasn't much higher than Saturn, did eventually offer up some subtle detail. We are definitely suffering from a prolonged spell of poor seeing as far as the planet's are concerned!

Can I ask, what sort of altitude are Jupiter and Saturn getting above the horizon? I know its pretty bad but haven't checked.  Sorry for being lazy, I could go and Google search it but if someone knows that'd be great. Forecast is looking great for tomorrow morning. So may drag the C6 into the garden tonight and cover it over.

2 minutes ago, Fredster1970 said:

Can I ask, what sort of altitude are Jupiter and Saturn getting above the horizon? I know its pretty bad but haven't checked.  Sorry for being lazy, I could go and Google search it but if someone knows that'd be great. Forecast is looking great for tomorrow morning. So may drag the C6 into the garden tonight and cover it over.

Jupiter transits the meridian at around 5.12am, 21 degrees above the horizon from London. Saturn gets to 16 degrees but at the moment not until after 8.15am

Archived