Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M45, Vulture Head, Galactic Cirrus

Hello I wanted to share some recent work of M45 from 1/8/2018

Here we have the Pleiades aka Messier 45, bathing amongst the very faint golden galactic cirrus which spans across the constellation of Taurus.  The dust that you see here is actually not emitting light but rather reflecting.  It is partially illuminated by the bright 7 stars within the Pleiades and additionally illuminated by our milky way galaxy.  

I am unclear of the distinction between IFN and galactic cirrus, Galactic cirrus seems to be closer to the core of the milky way.  IFN and Galactic cirrus both actually appear in IRAS and Planck thermal dust surveys. Regarding molecular structure, I have read that IFN is comprised of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons which are essentially leftover burned up carbon remains.  The IFN reflects light predominantly at 540nm up through 950nm according to Mandel Wilson. 

Capturing Galactic cirrus and the bluish gray dust surrounding the pleiades requires very dark skies and deep integrations of data which must be carfeully processed.  I am not 100% happy with this image yet and there may be a few more renditions, but I hope you enjoy what I have presented.  

Equipment and image capture:

Cameras: Tandem Canon DSLR
Full Spectrum modded T2i
Unmodded T3i

Lenses: Samyang 135mm F2 on each camera

Filter: T2i only, Astronomik Clip Luminance L3

Light frames: 468
Exposures:30s
Iso: 1600
Darks: 70
Flats:200
Bias: pre established master

Seeing was 4/5
Transparency 5/5
Temp 25f
SQM 21.6

Data was Fully Claibrated, stacked and registered in Pixinsight. 
Then partially processed between Pixinisght and Photoshop CC 2018

39848783571_615a2b105f_b.jpg

Messier 45 - 1/8/2018 by Wes Schwarz, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Archived