Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Rambi

Anyone still modifying webcams?

Been looking thru videos and threads the past weeks but can't find anything new, what is the preferred webcam now to modify?

Was bored today and made one out of one of the cheapest cameras around just to test the theory behind it.

I have loads of 1.25 carbon tubing so that's a start.

I've done an xbox cam and a toucam but that really needs me to flash it with the 900 firmware so it will work on W10 as the xbox won't oh and cheap flea bay jobby that works with my android tablet which is fine for the Moon but doesn't pick up Jupiter.

I modded a Logitech HD webcam for microscopy but that my limit, most are too small nowadays for anything else.

Alan 

4 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I've done an xbox cam and a toucam but that really needs me to flash it with the 900 firmware so it will work on W10 as the xbox won't oh and cheap flea bay jobby that works with my android tablet which is fine for the Moon but doesn't pick up Jupiter.

Seen versions of both of them, surprisingly good results.  

I'm down to make a few different, mainly because i like making stuff.
I would prefer having the best cam possible though so that one got good results with it.

A friend is shipping me a Olympus OM-D E-M1 for more serious photography, but i'd like the DIY solution in the meantime. 

Cmos is the way to go now for the last couple years is this not true?
I would imagine that the newer cam the better sensor, for instance, Logitech Pro 3000, 4000, 5000 the newer the better?
What are we looking for when it comes to sensors?

I think it might be about what controls are permitted to control gain etc on the webcam. As well as sensor sensitivity, frame rate and things. 

Edited by happy-kat

30 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Too small in sensor size do you mean? 

Yes the physical dimensions seem to be getting smaller year on year..

Alan

That's more then I'd pay for playing my cheapy was 4 pound and some pennies so I've no idea on your link. 

If you are thinking of the £30-40 pound region you could consider a module based on the Aptina AR0130 sensor as used in some guide cameras. I use this module as a guide camera in conjunction with an Orion 50mm mini guide scope. Although exposure length is limited in software to 0.5 sec, the camera is so sensitive that it always finds a guide star and doesn't need to be rotated (unlike my previous Microsoft Cinema Webcam) so it is fixed in position on top of the scope.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELP-illumination-Industrial-Equipment-megapixel/dp/B01HYVF4DK/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1516660475&sr=8-17&keywords=ar0130

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bobro said:

If you are thinking of the £30-40 pound region you could consider a module based on the Aptina AR0130 sensor as used in some guide cameras. I use this module as a guide camera in conjunction with an Orion 50mm mini guide scope. Although exposure length is limited in software to 0.5 sec, the camera is so sensitive that it always finds a guide star and doesn't need to be rotated (unlike my previous Microsoft Cinema Webcam) so it is fixed in position on top of the scope.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELP-illumination-Industrial-Equipment-megapixel/dp/B01HYVF4DK/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1516660475&sr=8-17&keywords=ar0130

Looks interesting, won't ship to me though (Norway).

Will have a look around for cameras with that sensor.

AliExpress supply AR0130 cameras :

https://www.aliexpress.com/

I use the colour version, though there is apparently a b/w version which would be expected to be more sensitive.

More info here : 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

I think I used my Xbox cam on w10. I'll have to double check it, as I used it half a year ago to check the collimation of a secondary mirror, there is a slim chance I used different laptop then and I can't remember if that one was w10.

I have two other cameras (not webcams, sort of pointandshooters) I'm not using, it's kind of shelved project to modify them just for the sake of it. Might do it tomorrow. 

Just today I was thinking about cheap option for a guidecam, the one bobro linked looks interesting.

18 minutes ago, bobro said:

AliExpress supply AR0130 cameras :

https://www.aliexpress.com/

I use the colour version, though there is apparently a b/w version which would be expected to be more sensitive.

More info here : 

Well this proves how insanely spontaneous i am, i was so close to ordering it right now.

Will wait for tomorrow at least.

I imagine we're getting towards the stage where some of the cheaper used CMOS cameras are no more expensive than the commonly-modified webcams were a few years back.

James

3 minutes ago, Rambi said:

Aliexpress alternative

This seems like a steal, use the same sensor and have a good housing that seems easy enough to modify the frontplate

Looks like it may not have a manual gain control though, which can make it a bit awkward to use for imaging.

James

I recently did the yesyes style mod on an SPC900NC spc900-lxmod-yesyes-style

It does work really well and made a good first guidecam and planetary imager.

Definitely worth it for the fun of building it but probably now long  past it's sell by date in terms of results. Replaced with a secondhand ZWO ASI120MC...the difference is unbelievable

I still think the PS3 Eye cam has potential, you can get RAW data from it and so get superior detail than the regular RGB bayer interpolated data, also you can get about 70-80fps iirc, I'm planning on using the one I de-bayered (see link below for thread on the method I used),  for Lunar again soon as I get chance. If I had the time I could improve the capture software a bit but barely have time to do the imaging as it is :O. One thing I haven't tried it on is planetary which is more challenging. Can pick them up for £5 or so on ebay.

furrysocks2 has also done some work on debayering the PS3 Eye camera, including getting 10-bit raw colour data out of it.

James