Narrowband

anyone here using Astroberry

gajjer

15 minutes ago, gajjer said:

Hi again

Thank you all so much for your input. Ido appreciate it. It does seem sometimes like "well I was going to get there, I wouldn't be starting from here".

I had a go at this once before using the pi motion software trying to just do remote capture with a headless pi. I got so far with VNC : I could control but not see the captured image. I was told at the time that VNC couldn't do that and gave up., ( My head will only take so much banging against walls )

The advantage of astroberry seemed to be that it was all contained in a single image and did more than I wanted. I will find some time to play over the weekend and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Gaj

There are other free image files out there you could use for your purpose, like i say I bIt the bullet and paid £35 for the Stellarmate OS and its superb and easy to set up.... :)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here again

I've got another Pi 3 now and I've loaded up the INDI software, kstars and ekos.

I'm reading through the documentation now.

I think I understand what it does now, however I do have some very basic questions

1. I can fire up Kstars and ekos on the Pi. What do I need to do on my PC. Does it need some INDI software there too?

I'm running Windows 7 on the PC.

Or do I use remote desktop? If so what is the INDI server called and how do I access it?

Hoping someone can help.

cheers

gaj

1 hour ago, gajjer said:

Here again

I've got another Pi 3 now and I've loaded up the INDI software, kstars and ekos.

I'm reading through the documentation now.

I think I understand what it does now, however I do have some very basic questions

1. I can fire up Kstars and ekos on the Pi. What do I need to do on my PC. Does it need some INDI software there too?

I'm running Windows 7 on the PC.

Or do I use remote desktop? If so what is the INDI server called and how do I access it?

Hoping someone can help.

cheers

gaj

You can load the windows version of Kstars / Ekos on your PC and control the rpi3 from there, the indi server will start automatically when you Start INDI from within Ekos, you just have to point Ekos to the correct port to find the RPi3 or you can remote access the Kstars on the rpi3 and run that from there, I do the first option..

Just now, LightBucket said:

You can load the windows version of Kstars / Ekos on your PC and control the rpi3 from there, the indi server will start automatically when you Start INDI from within Ekos, you just have to point Ekos to the correct port to find the RPi3 or you can remote access the Kstars on the rpi3 and run that from there, I do the first option..

OK. I'm not sure why I would need to load kstars/ekos onto my remote PC unless I was doing more than guiding. Also, if I did, how exactly do you go about connecting to the Pi - ie commands

I think that initially I will just try the second option of remote access from the PC. What I need is a precise sequence to carry out. Do I just use remote desktop connection? Of so what is the name of the pi?

How can I find out? I know what my login name is but I suspect that is not it.

thanks

gaj

As long as your PC and rpi3 are on the same network you access the rpi3 via your web browser, and “noVNC” remote software is what is installed on my RPi3, so in my case I type “Stellarmate.local:8264” in my web browser and the “noVNC” screen comes up, put my password in and then the desktop of the RPi3 comes up in my web browser and then I can open a terminal window and set commands if I wish, or open Kstars from the desktop and run it from there, or in your case just open PHD2 guide software if you use that and set that up, all from your windows web browser..... simples... :)

Just not sure what your password would be or the web address to access your rpi3 as that would be different to mine...

Just now, LightBucket said:

Just not sure what your password would be or the web address to access your rpi3 as that would be different to mine...

Hi again

thanks for your help, but it's that last statement that is my problem. I don't know how to find out what it is called. On my PC the BT home hub page on my PC browser shows the pi as "gajjer-desktop" with 192.168.1.180 as the ip address

Also interesting that you refer to port 8264 whilst the INDI documentation refers to 7264. It's all very confusing

The PC and pi are on the same server.

Think I have a lot more trials and reading to do.

thanks

gaj

39 minutes ago, gajjer said:

Hi again

thanks for your help, but it's that last statement that is my problem. I don't know how to find out what it is called. On my PC the BT home hub page on my PC browser shows the pi as "gajjer-desktop" with 192.168.1.180 as the ip address

Also interesting that you refer to port 8264 whilst the INDI documentation refers to 7264. It's all very confusing

The PC and pi are on the same server.

Think I have a lot more trials and reading to do.

thanks

gaj

Sorry my mistake, it is 7264... :)

• 11 months later...

I have just acquired a Raspberry Pi 3 B+, which I haven't even fired up yet,and would like to give Astroberry a go.  A couple of questions: 

1  Does Astroberry include Ubuntu, or do I have to install Ubuntu first.  (Like I said, the RP3 is new in the box).  Can I just load the Astroberry image onto the uSD card, slide it into the RP3, and turn on?  Or is it more involved

2  Do I need to install any Linux related stuff on my Windows 10 desktop or Win 7 laptop to control Astroberry via a browser window, or should it run 'by itself'?

Maybe these questions have been answered elsewhere, but I'd appreciate any immediate feedback.

Thanks for any info.

Edit: Never mind--I got brave and answered my own questions. Appears to work great!!! Thanks ?

9 hours ago, Richard Shagam said:

I have just acquired a Raspberry Pi 3 B+, which I haven't even fired up yet,and would like to give Astroberry a go.  A couple of questions: 

1  Does Astroberry include Ubuntu, or do I have to install Ubuntu first.  (Like I said, the RP3 is new in the box).  Can I just load the Astroberry image onto the uSD card, slide it into the RP3, and turn on?  Or is it more involved

2  Do I need to install any Linux related stuff on my Windows 10 desktop or Win 7 laptop to control Astroberry via a browser window, or should it run 'by itself'?

Maybe these questions have been answered elsewhere, but I'd appreciate any immediate feedback.

Thanks for any info.

Edit: Never mind--I got brave and answered my own questions. Appears to work great!!! Thanks ?

Hi, and welcome to the world of rpi.. :)

first of all no, Astroberry is a full image of all you need, just burn to an SD card and pop in rpi and away you go...

If you are going to use win 10 to control the rpi remote,y then you will either need to log o to the rpi via teamviewer of VNC and control it all from the rpi, or install the windows Kstars version, and connect to the INdI server in the rpi and use that way, which is more reliable as the rpi struggles with full control, it runs better just as a server...where all your kit is connected..

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/01/2018 at 14:41, Dr_Ju_ju said:

To be honest you want to forget Astroberry, as it isn't supported or being developed. 

I think you’re being a little unfair to Radek, the man who has assembled the Astroberry package! He’s regularly responding to questions (supporting) and has talked of the Ubuntu MATE 18.04 version (developing) although awaiting further progress from the Ubuntu MATE team. 

In my own case I’m, like Gajjer, more of a hardware man, hoping to be led through this software labyrinth through the easiest of possible steps. Nevertheless, I’ve now got my RPi running Astroberry, interfacing to my mount and camera, with a GPS dongle giving precise location and time, my old (2009) laptop running Ubuntu MATE 18.04, and controlling things via the astroberry WiFi hotspot from KStars/Ekos, and with SkySafari (4+, 5 pro or 6+) on my iPad giving me an optional secondary planetarium screen and controlling some mount positional features. And in the meantime I am definitely learning stuff......

On 17/01/2019 at 01:34, Richard Shagam said:

-I got brave and answered my own questions. Appears to work great!!! Thanks ?

Good news!

On 25/01/2018 at 13:41, Dr_Ju_ju said:

To be honest you want to forget Astroberry, as it isn't supported or being developed.

Why would you say this? The project is active and maintained ever since.

You're free to visit project site https://github.com/rkaczorek/astroberry-server and submit your issues to be resolved https://github.com/rkaczorek/astroberry-server/issues.

Also, you're more than welcome to visit Astroberry subforum at INDI official site https://indilib.org/forum/astroberry.html

And the last but not least... here I am to help you in person. This is my first post on the forum and I wish I have joined before ?

Clear skies to everyone!

On 25/01/2018 at 13:41, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Ekos\Kstars uses the INDI drivers, have a read of the docs from here http://www.indilib.org/ which will also guide you through the download\installation .... 

Hmmm, yes a bit of an uneducated comment to be honest, I only saw the bottom line of this post, hence the “like”...but have removed

It has a very active following on the INdI forum as mentioned, and Seems a very popular free choice rather than the paid for Stellarmate

On 02/02/2019 at 20:04, LightBucket said:

Hmmm, yes a bit of an uneducated comment to be honest, I only saw the bottom line of this post, hence the “like”...but have removed

It has a very active following on the INdI forum as mentioned, and Seems a very popular free choice rather than the paid for Stellarmate

I bought a Pi3B 2 days ago and loaded Astroberry. Trust me mate, I am a total noob with computers. I just burned the SD card in Etcher software and inserted into the RPi3B and connected the power supply of my mobile phone. Simples. Its working. I've configured KStars, I just need to configure Ekos. Read more about my exploits in the thread below.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/329851-astroberry-pi-server/?tab=comments#comment-3592610

On 02/02/2019 at 20:04, LightBucket said:

I also received minute to minute help, all through Monday morning to late night from @RadekK. You don't get better customer service for free than that.

A word of caution - it doesn't matter if you choose Astroberry,Stellarmate or DIY the bottom line is it has to work with your h/w (Mount/camera's etc) or you have to buy h/w which is fully supported by Indilib.

It has to work and be as reliable as,IMHO, Windows equiv as doesn't mater the flavour its a dead end.

So if you strip away the flavour we are left with Indilib and what it supports .

The bottom line - Indilib must work satisfactorily at least 95% of the time and be either better or equivalent  functionally, on a "day to day" basis, as Windows equivalent set up with your set up(or be prepared to change your set up).

What works for one set up may not work with your set up so  be warned  against ,what amounts to hype, IMHO. Granted their are some great Pro's but there are some nasty Con's - only to be expected with an immature offering.

All I am trying to say is  be realistic and take it slowly step by step. Even doing the latter be prepared to have damaged equipment  if you dont pay attention to how your kit behaves in real life situations - you cant just set it up and ignore what goes on - not in these early days with some set ups IMO.

Some parts of Indilib are more mature (tested) than others and although support is there it is often too wide spread. Not a criticism against any individuals its the nature of the beast.

I can hear some now sharpening the knifes ,start twittering on about Open Source ,or it works for me etc - but take the blinkers off its the truth IMO.

I still stand by what I have said before which was  Indilib should provided a single free and fully tested/supported  "taster" OS based on single type of  h/w - RPI3B/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 would make most sense  (even if its time limited). You would still have to provide the RPI. Having Astroberry and Stellarmate offerings ,IMO, are a distraction from each other and a waste of support resources - even if they are (and they are)  very good.

Having said all that and you still wish to try out Indilib great there are many Pro's just ,as used to be said on a TV cop program ,"be careful out their!".

This is not aimed at people who love "playing" (ok my hands up) with tech but more at everyone else.

Ok thats my rant of the month - clear skies ?

Archived