Narrowband

Getting a better pic of Orion etc.

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Focus is critical to the end result so take time to get it right at the start of the night.  The mask can go on anyway you like, orientation is irrelevant. Get it close by eye without the mask on, then place mask and fine tune it.  Then don’t forget to remove once focused.

I'll certainly do all I can to get it in focus - expect a report back regardless of the success factor - I always think it must be very frustrating to give some help without knowing how it all turns out!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you know you're not destined for great things when.......You've hidden in the shade of the caravan to keep the camera away from the light.........you've solved that the reason you can't see any stars is 'cos you've left the lens cap on.........You've tried 2 batteries in the RDF and given up with it...............never-the-less....you've had a play with the Bahnitov mask and found a star and done some zooming in and you think you are OK.........you've settled into a routine....lots of 10 seconds........dodging the aeroplanes when you see them (they do fly straight through the constellation of choice)...........You've been and admonished the folks inside for turning on the kitchen lights..............you've decided to settle into a routine and try some 15 second shots got a few and..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

an [expletive] aeroplane very high up flies straight through the constellation of choice and leaves a wretched great big trail right through the middle illuminated for all eternity by the moon!!!

At that point I've given up.  I'm going to see if I can get sequator to download to this new portable and have a look to see if I've got anything useable.   

Back in a while I hope!

Going to have to fire up the big computer - Sequator won't load on this Windows 10 portable - it says that it needs Visual studio C++ etc. so I go to load it and the computer tells me that it already has a newer version installed and there is a bit of me loathed to remove anything useful from this brand new machine in case it stops something else working and tbh. I wouldn't know which one to remove.

Welcome to the world of imaging frustration! I had the ISS photobomb my capture of Cygnus a couple of months ago. Other times it's been thin bands of clouds invisible to the naked eye. Only thing to do is take a deep breath and try again. Astrophotograhy is an exercise in patience and determination with our skies.

I looked at some of the other constellations - like Pegasus - which I found lurking above the moon with Stellarium's help.  I couldn't have fitted that in the frame of the camera, there are only a few constellations that you could actually fit in.

4 minutes ago, Mognet said:

M36, M37 and the starfish cluster

I didn't know this would catch other things like Messiers and other named clusters.  I will go and look those up, thankyou for the added interest!

13 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Done better than me, I've been messing around since 20.00 and not taken a single image yet :grin:

Dave

I'm only just getting my boots on to go out for my session! Have been waiting for everyone to turn their lights off, and the streetlights too. Luckily I'm a night person anyway

Unfortunately no-one else in the multi-occupancy house is into stars and they go to bed and don't like me walking up the squeaky stairs too late so I have a fairly small time window to do anything.  I am absolutely astonished at just how many stars appear when you do this sort of thing.  Just by eye it is  obviously only apparent that the larger stars that form the constellation are there when you look up.  The average person out on the street just has no idea at all how many stars exist - truly amazing.  FWIW I think I got it more in focus this time thanks to all your help ?

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 23:36, Mognet said:

I do the focussing part with the lens at f1.8, but for capture I usually stop the aperture down to f2.5.

NB.  This ^^^^ did enter into my thought processes - then I realised you couldn't do it with a lens without a f-stop adjustment ring - the Yongnuo is a 50mm lens with a fixed f-stop of 1.8 - no alteration possible.  Digging out the old 50mm prime Praktica lens which I got a conversion ring for when I played in the earlier part of the thread and looking at that, it has a ring on which you can adjust the f-stop from 1.8 to 16.  Despite being fitted with the adapter ring it makes me now wonder if that's a better lens for this wide-field star work.

I've had a quick look at the Canon 1100D manual, which I'm guessing from your signature is what you are using. On page 94 it gives some information on how to adjust the aperture http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/7/0300005057/06/EOS_1100D_Instruction_Manual_EN.pdf If your Yonguo lens is this one, then it looks like it is possible to control the f-stop that way, assuming they are compatable and the camera sees it properly. It's the same with my Nikon, manual focus via the lens ring and aperture control via the camera.

I have been very impressed by just how compatible the lens is - yes it is that one.  All the autofocus things work so I guess everthing else will too.  I just read that it was a 1.8 lens and assumed that the camera couldn't alter this, but as you point out, maybe it can, but via the camera itself.  I'll certainly have a look and see when I have a few minutes tomorrow, it has to be worth a few minutes fiddling.  Many thanks for the idea.

Well I am quite amazed, the camera did appear respond to changing the aperture setting with the Yongnuo lens in place - on the low end the adjust runs it down to the expected F1.8 and allows it to run up to F22 on the high side.  It's more than running the numbers on the screen too, as I def. got a change in shutter length when I tried it on an aperture priority setting as though the iris (in the lens I assume) was indeed changing in size and controlling the amount of light that was entering.   The camera is essentially an 1100D (it's actually a Rebel T3 - a 'grey import' I think, but it's been a nice camera).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at the image above and also the entries in the constellation competition.  It occurs to me that our 'eyeball' appreciation of the constellations and their shapes is almost enhanced by our eyes not picking up all that the cameras cam.  When you stack and grab all those all those extra stars the actual constellation shapes as we normally view them by eye are almost drowned out in all the extra stars obtained by stacking.  I think the trick with the current competition is going to be interpreting what the judges are going to want to see given the title and description of the completion - it really is wide open to interpretation.

Archived