Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Hi All,

this morning i made my first attempt taking a picture of Jupiter.

The hardware i used:

• Skywatcher Skymax 127
  • SW AZ GTI mount
  • Sony A6300
  • T2 adapter (about 40mm long)
  • 1,25" nosepiece on the adaptor.

So camera in prime focus with no barlow, filters,...

First photo:

Camera settings in manual mode : AWB; Shutter 2,5sec; ISO1600

DSC01485.thumb.JPG.0108ba58c44bf95ca6355a948cfb4ab7.JPG

Second photo

AWB; 1/3sec ISO100

DSC01619.thumb.JPG.23450f4446b40b2043f379f0bca5ec55.JPG

So, as you can see not that good, a Barlow probably would have been better, but i guess there's more to be done here...

Some tips ?

Thank you 

Planetary imaging is best done using video capture. Best results are from high frame rate planetary imaging cameras but you can use your Sony. A Barlow would certainly improve the image as well. Try not to overexpose Jupiter for the sake of getting the moons. Planetary imaging cameras can be bought relatively cheaply. You then stack your video in AS!3 and make adjustments to wavelets etc in Registax.

Peter

10 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Planetary imaging is best done using video capture. Best results are from high frame rate planetary imaging cameras but you can use your Sony. A Barlow would certainly improve the image as well. Try not to overexpose Jupiter for the sake of getting the moons. Planetary imaging cameras can be bought relatively cheaply. You then stack your video in AS!3 and make adjustments to wavelets etc in Registax.

Peter

Hi,

i have made a 30sec clip also, but the image was to clear, jupiter seems like a light bulb, so i have no detail.

I have a MAC so i use (well i'm trying anyway) Lynkeos for stacking.

Can i do something about the camera setting to get a more contrasty picture ?

I am not familiar with that camera but there must be a way to reduce the exposure. Can you not expose using Manual Mode? have a look here

Peter

Edited by PeterCPC

Thats a good first go!

As Peter says video is generally better for planetary. If overexposed use lower ISO and/or faster shutter - you can control this manually in video mode. Try and use the fastest frame rate you can but at the same time try and avoid compressed video formats - these lose resolution big time. If there is any sort of crop mode - so you only record the centre area - go for that. You obviously don't need the whole frame - unless you can find a way of getting very close! Seriously even with a barlow or powermate you will still only fill the centre.

My settings for Jupiter - probably very differnet to your camera - ISO 400, frame rate 50 fps, 1/60th second exposure. Thats with 200P with 5x powermate (EFL 6000mm approx or F30)  I suggest 2-3 minute runs then process with PIPP then Autostakkert (AS!2) then Registax. Good luck - especially if you're using Mac!