Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Rosette Nebula

steviemac500

I know this is frequently shot subject but I haven't had a go for ages. This is my take - 16 x 1200s exposures in one night. Processed in PI with a bit more attention paid to contrast with LHE which I think has given this a more dramatic rather than softer look. Comments welcomed as always, hope you like it.

http://astrob.in/330276/0/

v1.png

5 hours ago, steviemac500 said:

Interested to know thoughts on contrast levels and sharpening. I did two versions using LHE, one with kernel at 64 and one at 150. This is the 150 version.

LHE is a tricky thing to use. Like most things I have found it is far too easy to over do it! I feel I've had more success since I've limited Contrast to a value of 1.2 or 1.3; the default value of 2 seems to be far too aggressive. I typically use 1.3 and 128 as a starting point and then go from there. I cannot remember where I read the advice on not exceeding 1.2/1.3.

I've been doing exactly the same this weekend - processing Ha, OIII and SII of NGC2239 collected since the beginning of the year - using MaskedStretch and LHE. My dilemma is knowing how best to combine it all! I've not carried out any sharpening on the individual channels, however, I have performed some careful detail enhancement using MLT with a combined Range and Star mask.

Good luck!

Adrian

Archived