Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Home Obsy UK Build - Yew Tree Observatory

MarkRadice

Hurrah, my new man cave is complete.  It may not be very big but it can fit an entire galaxy in.  I started writing a description but then thought it was easier to walk and talk.

As I have been working away, I contracted Home Observatory UK.  They've done an excellent job and come thoroughly recommended.  As you can see, it consists of 2 rooms: the observatory itself (with a 14" dob) and a warm room / home office.  It now has electricity so I can take up residence.  

With the telescope and eyepieces already set up in the observatory, it now takes me longer to put my cold weather clothes on than it does to setup.

Always great to see a dob sitting in an obsy.

It really is great having a big dob and not having to set it up :) 

Even quick one hour sessions are possible now. Cooling is less of a problem now but I found I needed to get out and switch my mirror fan on in the summer months one hour in advance. Here's mine...

Make sure you get a dehumidifier installed for the humidity. I run mine on a timer for up to 3 hours a day.

Thank you all for your kind words. It’s been a long time coming but something I can enjoy for years to come. My apologies for the run of bad weather. 

As for a dehumidifier, the obsy is pretty well ventilated. I’m sure that I’d end up scrubbing the atmosphere dry: as the air dries out inside it will be replaced by humid air from outside. 

Excellent! :icon_biggrin:

But I would replace that highly vulnerable, open invitation of a padlock and hasp ASAP.

The cheapest Chinese bolt cutter or rechargeable angle grinder wouldn't break a sweat over that exposed padlock loop.

Get a Piezo 'screamer' alarm siren for ~£20 and a roller micro-switch for the door.

Power it by a battery and artfully concealed switch and wiring which can't be seen nor reached from the open door.

No drain on the battery because the micro-switch isolates it except when the door is opened.

If you use mains and a PS you can switch the mains with a roller micro-switch for zero power consumption.

If you have the know-how you can use a relay to keep the alarm going if thieves should close the door while they search for a switch.

Fix weld mesh on the inside of all windows.

Fit disk padlocks and/or padlock concealing hasps on all other potential openings.

Put up a security camera where it can't possibly be reached.

Be sure the Obs. and its maximum contents are fully insured.

Some companies deliberately exclude highly vulnerable outbuildings from home contents.

Never assume the vile, thieving, sociopathic scum are witless morons.

Never, ever show anybody else your security measures because they will brag about it down at the pub.

Talk to your local security advisory policeman on securing your property before your have a break-in.

Don't show him/her your own additional security system!

There has to be some reason why every single house in the village/your road has a break-in but they just can't seem to catch them!

Guess how I know this?  :angryfire:

21 hours ago, MarkRadice said:

As for a dehumidifier, the obsy is pretty well ventilated. I’m sure that I’d end up scrubbing the atmosphere dry: as the air dries out inside it will be replaced by humid air from outside. 

Thats why I run it on a timer from 6-30 to 9-30 am. :) My shed is not sealed to the outside either. But it will get damp in there when the outside temp/inside temp differential is too great.

You also will need to run it for 3 hours after you close the roof with your scope soaked or frozen.

You will need a dessicant type dehumidifer, these are good for really low temperatures. I use this one ...

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p_dd122fw-simple_ecoair-dd122fwsimple-dehumidifier/version.asp?refsource=APadwords&refsource=Apadwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq8ftyNbr2AIV75PtCh0vBAR-EAQYASABEgKcxfD_BwE

I also agree with the other comment on the exposed padlock, get it changed to a proper 5 level lock asap. My shed is fully alarmed and connected to my house alarm. I also have separate line items on my house insurance for all the gear outside. Do you also need to secure that drop down side (it seems to open from the outside and have no locks)?

If your video makes your location easy to identify then I would also delete (or reshoot/edit) the video too. I never post anything showing any visible outside background where someone could identify my sheds location !

One last thing :) I would consider keeping your solar scope in the house, blocking filter may rust out there in the damp. I also keep my eyepieces in the house and take them outside in a "warm" state (I do not have a warm room, maybe you are heating it?). If you start sessions with cold eyepieces then they wont last long before misting up. Basically, I would keep the minimum amount of kit outside, especially if its easily carried outside when you need it.

- i.e. I used to keep my skytee2 in the shed but the screws/bolts started rusting up. So, now its back inside.

HTH,

Alan

I really, really, really want one of those observatories. It would be absolutely perfect for my circumstances. Lovely warm room/daytime office/escape room..

Great video as well - it's always difficult to tell exactly how an obsy works out for observers. I certainly have room in my veyr large garden - it's the moolah that's the problem...  :D

Thanks, I really enjoyed the review.

Wow, great idea to share on a movie clip... Love it! I just need a garden now then that building will be something to plan into the design :-) 

Such a shame to have to worry about all the security measures though... I suppose it's best to be prepared rather than having to react later if the worst happens... 

Congratulations...

Thanks for the security advice. I was planning to put a proper lock on/in the door - then I could relocate padlock and clasp to fasten the roof from the inside. 

Alarms are on order; insurance being checked; I’ve got some wire mesh rusting somewhere  but may end up buying some new stuff from B&Q. 

So much to do (and that’s before I get stuck into the observatory)!!

On another note, I’m thinking of making a simple wooden pier (perhaps with drawers, eyepiece holders and compartments) and use the C11 in lieu of my dob. The dob with its lower height struggles to see the walls. 

I’ll add this to the list!

12 hours ago, MarkRadice said:

On another note, I’m thinking of making a simple wooden pier (perhaps with drawers, eyepiece holders and compartments) and use the C11 in lieu of my dob. The dob with its lower height struggles to see the walls.

The cpc1100 is a superb observatory instrument.

you can get them second hand for £1600+

Then you can use the tripod they come with. Here are some old photos of my previous (before the big dob) c11 setup....

c11a.thumb.jpg.6e0bce3991946cbeb34dfae3a5aff214.jpg

c11b.jpg.d93ad390cdd75c92df5950a403d6277f.jpg

I ended up with a 90mm refractor riding on top as well so I would enjoy wide views as well as closeup!

Alan

I’ve had my Home Obsvy for 18 months now best investment ever - like you have already stated it can take longer to get ‘suited and booted’ than start up the scopes ?

I agree with all the sentiments regarding the security, one of the first upgrades I did was beefing the locking mechanisms.

I haven’t had an issue with condensation yet, my Obs seems very well ventilated and I have not had to wipe anything down yet, time will tell!

Hope you have years of fun and wishing you clear skies my friend.

All the best,

Lovely set up Alan. They seem to punch above their weight don’t they? I’m finding the dob a bit frustrating as it simply cant see so low down. 

Neil glad you’re enjoying yours too. I’ve got a B&Q run to look forward to after work tomorrow. 

Have a a good weekend. 

Archived