Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hubble's Variable and Double-Planetary

MarkRadice

I had second light in my new observatory on Thursday 18 January.  [Further details are available on my blog - http://www.refreshingviews.com/second-light/]. 

With the telescope and eyepieces already set up in the observatory, it now takes me longer to put my cold weather clothes on than it does to setup. With the radio on, and a star filled eyepiece and a mug of tea I am in a wonderful place.

After the obligatory start on the Orion Nebula, I moved further north to Hubble’s Variable Nebula, NGC 2261, in Monoceros.  This fascinating object is illuminated by the star R Monocerotis (at the apex of the fan-shaped nebula in the sketch below).  R Mon, perhaps due to dense clouds of dust nearby, changes in brightness.  These changes in brightness then cause the nebula to brighten and dim over time. 

5a63c4132aa89_HubblesVariableNebNGC226120180118copy.thumb.jpg.40f4ed2917e5bc122cfbb6db5e169281.jpg

With Gemini high overhead I could not resist finding my old friend, the twin double-lobed planetary nebula NGC2371-2.  I first found this object at the Winter Star Party in 2015 when I was working my way through the Herschel 400.  It is quite faint so I could not see it through the 100mm f5 refractor I was using but it was easily visible through a nearby 16” dob, owned by Bernie Poskus.  He kindly let me take the time to observe this beautiful object.  Now, each time I see this object I am reminded of observing in his company from the Florida Keys with palm trees overhead and stars reflecting in the sea.  Unfortunately none of these features were apparent from my garden in Wiltshire.

5a63c441c8189_NGC2371220180118copy.thumb.jpg.6348b30352bc816c8ff412b3f580db50.jpg

After some eye candy, my eyes were getting heavy, it was a simple task to put the dust covers back on and roll the roof back. No need to lug heavy equipment away.  This observatory is definitely a keeper!

Archived