Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Optical doubles.

In a small quandary about this. Should we celebrate that we are probably unique in being able to observe them ?

Or should we look on them as a coincidental against the orbiting and often exciting observable differences in separation ?

At the moment I kind of steer away from optical doubles as there is so much science in finding out the star types , colour and AU units from the primary .

I can visualise the sky with multiple suns , but I cannot visualise pairs that may be light years apart.

It might be a case of an artistic view against something you can tie down, suppose there's other folk out there looking at the same stuff !

Nicko.

• 1 month later...

A good point. At first I would only be interested if the stars were binaries. I am a bit more flexible now after reading how you appreciate the colours and differences in magnitude. The beauty and the sport is also a pleasure now. It's a great point you make as to the fact that we are the only planet that can see these stars as they are to us. A nice thing to consider when at the eyepiece.

Interesting point.   We're also unique in terms of how constellations appear to us.  And shifting the perspective, our own star must feature in optical doubles seen from other places in the galaxy.  

Do things that have a physical connection have the edge over those that are merely the result of an accident of location?  It's all down to the view and the viewer, I guess!  :happy11:

Doug.

Archived