SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Do you still need to do a 1, 2 or 3 star alignment when using Stellarium?

If you want an accurate pointing model, yes... all depends on your setup.

With ASCOM & EQMod (you don’t say whether you’re using an EQMod cable, or USB to handset cable), you can just pick first target and slew, correct it to centre, hit sync in Stellarium, and repeat for 2 more stars and you should be as good as if you’d done a 3 star align on the handset. 3 sync points via EQMod is equivalent to a 3-star alignment on the handset. The more sync points you add (I usually add 7 as I have no north view with which to polar align), the more accurately the mount’s goto will be. StellariumScope for ASCOM links the Stellarium Sync function to EQMod’s sync function... 

If connecting via the handset however & not using StellariumScope/ASCOM, it may be a different story (never tried myself).

34 minutes ago, Marci said:

And are you then using ASCOM / StellariumScope / EQMod ?  Need more detail of how you’re connecting from Stellarium to the mount.

34 minutes ago, Marci said:

And are you then using ASCOM / StellariumScope / EQMod ?  Need more detail of how you’re connecting from Stellarium to the mount.

Yes. Using all those bud.

Archived