SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

"Keeping it simple"

Having been using my new EQ6-R mount and Esprit 100 APO scope for imaging since I got them in December I felt I was neglecting the manual / visual side of our fascinating hobby. I have had a Helios 8" f5 Newtonian in the cupboard since last summer, so I decided to convert it to a Dob. I bought a second dovetail bar and mounted it on the opposite side of the rings and put an M8 bolt through both dovetails. I made the base from a sheet of plywood with nylon blocks sitting on an old 12" record for the azimuth bearing with an M10 bolt through the middle. I made slots in the top of the sides so I can simply drop the tube into place and then tighten the bolts up to get the tension so the tube doesn't swing around. Then I painted it with 3 coats of white paint. It isn't the most glamorous of things but it works perfectly. I tried it out last night just outside the front door but we have a street light right outside the door. I still managed to see M42 quite clearly so was happy. Now while I am imaging I will have something to play with while waiting for the camera to do its thing.

IMG_20180118_201042[1].jpg

IMG_20180118_201058[1].jpg

IMG_20180118_201117[1].jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived