SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dead DDM60

DaveS

I think this is one for @Waldemar.

In my haste to get set up I didn't look at what I was doing and managed to cross-connect the PSU for my DDM60.

Now it looks to be dead.

Have I blown a circuit board? Or is there another explanation? The power connector *does* appear to be loose, but jiggling it has no effect. This is more than annoying, especially if a mount that last retailed for the thick end of £8k has no diode-protections and can be killed so easily, while a cheapo dew-controller is OK after reconnecting.

I'll email Rupert at Astrograph as well to see what he can advise.

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

I think this is one for @Waldemar.

In my haste to get set up I didn't look at what I was doing and managed to cross-connect the PSU for my DDM60.

Now it looks to be dead.

Have I blown a circuit board? Or is there another explanation? The power connector *does* appear to be loose, but jiggling it has no effect. This is more than annoying, especially if a mount that last retailed for the thick end of £8k has no diode-protections and can be killed so easily, while a cheapo dew-controller is OK after reconnecting.

I'll email Rupert at Astrograph as well to see what he can advise.

You cross connected the PSU?  Meaning you interchanged plus and minus?
Or short circuited the PSU it self?

Do you have the 60 or the 60Pro?

b.t.w. most dew controllers don't care a lot about plus or minus... all mounts do

10 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Cost doesn't necessarily equate to trouble free Dave, my 10Micron has been back twice for repairs.

Dave

Hope it's running smoothly now Dave. 10Micron are excelent mounts. My DDM has been very reliable up till now.

10 hours ago, Waldemar said:

You cross connected the PSU?  Meaning you interchanged plus and minus?
Or short circuited the PSU it self?

Do you have the 60 or the 60Pro?

b.t.w. most dew controllers don't care a lot about plus or minus... all mounts do

It's the DDM Pro, but I don't use the internal hub as it prevents Autoslew from running.

To clarify, I interchanged plus and minus. I would have expected a mount that is powered from a PSU using flying leads and plugs to be protected from accidental mis-connection.

7 hours ago, DaveS said:

It's the DDM Pro, but I don't use the internal hub as it prevents Autoslew from running.

To clarify, I interchanged plus and minus. I would have expected a mount that is powered from a PSU using flying leads and plugs to be protected from accidental mis-connection.

That is NOT okay, Dave... Did you notify ASA about this? They should have a fix for that. Maybe a setting in your PC is corrupted?
I agree that a mix-up like this should not be possible, but with the banana connectors a mishappening like that is almost inavoidable.
Bad idea from ASA to use those... you're right...

Personally I changed the connectors right away, so things like this can't happen.
The bottomplate of the RA motor can be taken off quite easily and you might find a fuse or a voltage regulator there, which could have been blown.

The same goes for the topplate of the DEC motor, in which case you can acces the hub and some more electronics to check if anything went wrong there. 

There will be a 5 V voltage regulator there for the hub as well
I think it is worth the effort to check that if you are a little educated about electronics. Nothing bad could have happenend to the motors a.f.a.i.k.

I don't have my 60Pro anymore, otherwise I would have openend mine to check what could have gone wrong, but alas.
The 85 is a different beast, so I don't think that will give any inside. 

I found Dietmar Weinzinger from ASA very co-operative through the years and a fast responder. Maybe he can shed some light on your problem.

Many thanks @Waldemar.

When it stops raining I'll have a look as you say. I will also get on to Dietmar, to see if he can shed any light on the problem, and will mention the hub problem. TBH I'd put it down to the cantankerousness of computers, especially if I'm involved.

As you say, not a good way of making power connections, and I will make up a board to hold two plugs in a way that I cannot mis-connect them. Unfortunately I don't have an obsy so the mount is under a Telegizmos 365 cover with an electric pet warmer to keep condensation at bay, so I cannot make hard-wired power connections as I would like to.

OK, after pulling the back plate off I found a blown 15A blade fuse. A quick trip to Hafords provided a replacement. Connecting the PSU the mount powered up, Autoslew connected, and the motors started OK.

Big sigh of relief, game on!

• 3 weeks later...

@Waldemar

I think the USB hub problem has solved itself, probably due to a win update. After problems with cables dragging and throwing the tracking out I spent the morning at the mount going through possibities, but in the end the problems had gone. Now I just have two USB cables going to the laptop, with nothing dragging.

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

@Waldemar

I think the USB hub problem has solved itself, probably due to a win update. After problems with cables dragging and throwing the tracking out I spent the morning at the mount going through possibities, but in the end the problems had gone. Now I just have two USB cables going to the laptop, with nothing dragging.

I am glad everything worked out for you, Dave!! Your DDM should be a joy!

On 16-2-2018 at 15:46, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Glad to hear the fuse saved the day. Poor connector design indeed.

The connectors to the mount itself are superb:  Screw on Lumberg SS connectors... 

Basically the banana connectors are not meant for a mobile set-up. The chance of accidents like this is too big.
In a dome it would be no problem, because that normally is a one time set-up. I changed the banana connectors on mine immediately after arrival of the mount, so no mistakes are possible.

On 28/01/2018 at 14:01, DaveS said:

OK, after pulling the back plate off I found a blown 15A blade fuse. A quick trip to Hafords provided a replacement. Connecting the PSU the mount powered up, Autoslew connected, and the motors started OK.

Big sigh of relief, game on!

Cheaper than going to Austria... :evil6:

Archived