SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How Do?

Cinderhella

Hello, world and all of her joyful citizens!

After a few months of lurking about and nosing through helpful hints and tips the likes of Patrick Moore could only hope to give, I've bitten the bullet and joined. I've spoke for years about "Being into astronomy" and wanting to buy a telescope like this, a pair of binoculars like that and all of what that entails, but the time and life in general never seemed right and excuses by the dozen were made. My disability has been the main reason as to why I've never put much effort into the universe. The 'scope mounts I've come across have been difficult for me to move and look through, but the motorised mounts nowadays will make a huge difference to me and it's time to either get onboard or give my ticket to someone else.

I'm coming into this here hobby with the notion that I know nothing and aside from the handful of constellations and satellite spotting, my total lack of knowledge is just that. I own a small little spotting scope with a table mount that's gotten me some lovely views of our moon and a nice look at a few stars here and there, while my 25 some year old Planisphere comes in handy when I've been travelling overnight on National Express. So much to see on coach and train rides if the skies are clear!

The number one hint I've found on this forum is Be Proactive. Don't just sit and price up telescopes and eyepieces with the expectation of getting to Saturn in the blink of an eye. Get reading, get learning about what's way above the head and that's exactly what I've been doing, which is quite a sight to behold as I'm a professional procrastinator by trade.

It's nice to be here and look forward to being a part of not just this group, but part of the universe as a whole.

J xx

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and thank you for the welcome wagon, Alan!

I've witnessed the warmth and friendliness of this forum over my months of stalking from that dark corner over there. I've read the sticky notes several times to drum the information into my tiny mind as much as possible, but we'll see how much I've learned when the time comes to invest in a scope!

ETA: Thank you to both Pig and Philip for their welcomes, too :)

Welcome to  SGL, plenty of friendly knowledgeable people here.

Hi and welcome! :)

2 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

this place is a mine of information packed with very friendly and helpful people...dont be afraid to ask any questions.

Having been here only a few days myself, I've found this sentence to be very true indeed.
I am already starting to realise pretty much everybody that's new to this - myself included - seem to ask the same handful of questions! :)

Thank you Nebula, Dwarf, and thank you Charic for the happy compliment! You've rather made my day :)

I did pop my head outside of my front door a while ago and my city is still living in the Arctic Circle, so my chances of going out to ponder under shifty street lights and a smattering of stars chalks up a whopping old zilch!

0215, just in from a 45 minute stint with the 15x70's, Ursa Major is directly over head, and in that 45 mins, well in the first 5 minutes a light cloud covered the sky, so no good trying to find any Galaxies, then  35 mins later, all of the sky I want to view,  is now covered by light cloud, just the main Stars vaguely showing through. Called it a night,  though surprisingly, not cold on the face or hands, even though the field is covered with frozen snow, and the night sky just as bright!

9 minutes ago, Charic said:

0215, just in from a 45 minute stint with the 15x70's, Ursa Major is directly over head, and in that 45 mins, well in the first 5 minutes a light cloud covered the sky, so no good trying to find any Galaxies, then  35 mins later, all of the sky I want to view,  is now covered by light cloud, just the main Stars vaguely showing through. Called it a night,  though surprisingly, not cold on the face or hands, even though the field is covered with frozen snow, and the sky just as bright!

Those sort of sights are almost enough to turn me into quite the chionophile! I may hold the snow in poor esteem, but I love looking at fields where there's not a footprint in sight. Cloudy skies or no, you lucked out on the view!

Hedgehogs are funny creatures. If they're hungry, sick or if they're young and haven't built up enough fat reserves, they will break hibernation early in order to find food. So if you have any wet cat or dog food, then spare it for the hoggy. No bread, milk and absolutely no snails. Never feed them snails! Snails are bad for hedgehogs and only makeup a small 4-5% of the diet as hogs will only eat snails if they're desperate. Once they've had a good bit of grub, then the hog will (hopefully!) go back to sleeping the days away until Sol grows strong. Hoggys are adorable lil creatures :icon_biggrin:

Hi and welcome to SGL Cinderhella.
Great you have stopped lurking and now joined, best thing to do.

I picked up on your comment about your disability and concerns about moving mounts etc. and fully understand your concerns.
A number of SGL members have varying disability issues, many with back and leg problems, some in wheelchairs.
No one has let any disability prevent them from astronomy, its a very levelling past time.
If you put up a post and ask for information on this I am sure some will offer experience and advice.

Again welcome and hi.
Alan

Thank you for the lovely words and encouragement, Alan!

The help and advice that's already been shipped my way has done nothing but increase my confidence to the Nth degree, and with people adding ideas to help make the universe accessible... I'm genuinely touched by the response and positivity which is both infectious and driving my determination to become as successful a stargazer as possible.

Archived