Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My new DIY ALT/AZ Mount a Panther Clone

Doc

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stu said:

One question Doc. Why the extended slots in a kind of rectangular shape? What do they do?

DAD2AA41-D500-4ECB-9C30-87741A2445D5.jpeg

It allows the red dotted black screw to push the rectangular cut out against the axis to provide tension in a beautifully engineered manner :icon_biggrin:

Lovely bit of craftsmanship.

57 minutes ago, knobby said:

It allows the red dotted black screw to push the rectangular cut out against the axis to provide tension in a beautifully engineered manner :icon_biggrin:

Lovely bit of craftsmanship.

Ahh, I see now. Thanks!

Yes, beautifully simple and very well engineered.

Yes exactly that I can put tension on the altitude movement with just a little turn of the handle, works perfectly.

But the best part of it is you can adjust it so that you have perfect balance, will be even better once I add counterweights.

In the simplest terms the [partially] cut-out rectangle provides a little flexibility in the plane of the [very stiff] fork material.

The adjustment handle is placed at the far end of the lever formed by this partial, rectangular cut-out.

While the axis shaft is placed much nearer the fulcrum. [imaginary pivot point.]

So the handle can provide very gentle adjustment of friction at the pivot due to the increased leverage.

Imagine a crowbar: Small changes of pressure on the free end have major effects where you are lifting something really heavy.  

Even smaller changes of pressure on the free end allow fine adjustment of pressure at the "business end."

Meanwhile the force applied by the adjusting handle's fine screw thread provides even slower motion.

Which means even finer adjustment of applied pressure [and friction] at the axis.

Okay, I'm a complete pedant when it comes to explaining things. I can't help myself.  :rolleyes2:

• 3 weeks later...

I made the counterweights over the weekend, they are made from 5" diameter meehanite bar 1.5" thick. They weigh 4kg each and once fitted they balance the scope perfectly.

Here's a couple of photo's of the finished mount. The only thing left to do is sort out the encoders and drill and tap some M3 holes for the top hat to be secured.

I'll post more photo's and video in the members equipment section later.

giRfyt.jpg

03MyM5.jpg

Excellent workmanship and design! Very impressive result!  :thumbsup:

Are the counterweights bare cast iron? Or have you put some kind of finish on them?

They look absolutely superb. If they can stay that way.

• 2 months later...
On 31/03/2018 at 16:45, Doc said:

I do have one made but have not fitted it yet. To be honest the clamping force made from the three dovetail knobs is so good it won't need them.

The power of 3, is good grip.  Having Primaluce and Geoptik triple lock clamps on my Skytees, couldn't settle for less now.

23 minutes ago, 25585 said:

The power of 3, is good grip.  Having Primaluce and Geoptik triple lock clamps on my Skytees, couldn't settle for less now.

Couldn't agree more on the power of 3.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived